F#@k H.P. Lovecraft

Hot
MB Updated
Follow Us
 
There Will Be Games

It's time to let Lovecraft go.

Over the past couple of days I've been in Mexico City. Over the past couple of days, I've been "the other" in a sea of faces and lives like and yet not like my own. My daughter, who has fair skin, red hair and blue eyes, was stopped frequently around the Zocalo by folks wanting to take her picture because she is so different than what Mexicans are used to seeing on their streets. They weren't scared, hateful, or distrustful of us. Instead, the Mexican people we interacted with were welcoming, kind, and wanted to share their culture with us. We were not regarded as monsters, although many white Americans tend to treat the Mexican people as sub-human creatures.

All of that may seem to have absolutely nothing to do with the works of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, but today I read a piece over at Eurogamer.net by Sam Greer that pushed me towards a personal decision about Lovecraft and where I stand with this hugely influential and ever-present author known for his xenophobia, racism, and fear of "the other". The "strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" quote extends to folks that aren't white, male and American. Not just tentacle monsters.

It's definitely a hot take piece and there's certainly room for debate about aspects of her position, but reading it today less than 24 hours after being in another country, I've decided that I am absolutely through with Lovecraft anything. I can no longer excuse the racism, I can no longer look the other way just because I like pulp horror and tentacle monsters. I cannot in good conscience continue to support and promote literary works or media based on them when said works are rife with overtly racist subtexts. I am removing all Lovecraft books from my house, as I do not want my kids encountering them before they are old enough to discern the subtle and not-so subtle moral wrongness of the writer's perspectives. I am purging my game collection of all designs explicitly based on Lovecraft and I will not review, cover, or discuss any game that features Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, or any other Mythos-specific character or creation.

Racism, which is impacting millions of people in the United States alone, is far more terrifying than any bullshit about cosmic terror or eldritch gods or whatever. America-first xenophobia is threatening global culture every day. And I'm supposed to be scared of reading a spooky book or a mysterious color? The really frightening thing about Lovecraft is how much his work has been appropriated without analysis, consideration, or context...and along with it, his hateful worldview.

I stand by my existing reviews of such works- Cthulhu Wars, Mythos Tales, and Eldritch Horror for example- but would disclaim all of them to indicate that the source material is racist and these games should be regarded as unfortunate for basing their designs in racist and intolerant settings. Sadly, I will not be covering Nikki Valen's upcoming Arkham Horror revision for this reason. I don't think you can really get away from the racism if you are playing in this setting. Adding in a stereotypical black jazz musician or a female Chinese martial artist doesn't cover it all up or excuse it. It calls it into relief.

I want to be clear that I do not regard anyone making these games as racist or intolerant. But I do question the need for gaming in a larger sense to be so dependent on directly using the Lovecraft source material instead of more sensibly taking those influences and moving them away from the race-hating ugliness that pervades virtually all of his work to some degree. It's there. Don't pretend it isn't. It's time to move on from that privileged white male geek attitude. It's time to just fucking admit that you can't "separate the art from the artist" when the artist's art is an expression of their values, attitudes, and beliefs.

Here's the thing. Lovecraft is an important and influential writer. But the reality of it is that there are so many books, stories, comics, films, and games that have been inspired by Lovecraft that are BETTER than Lovecraft. So why don't creators take the compelling elements of the Mythos stories and instead do something more interesting with it all? Why is there the need to continue to pledge fealty to Lovecraft and drag out the same Lovecraft shit over and over again? Witness Games Workshop's Lovecraftian pantheon of Chaos Gods, or going back further Moorcock's Lovecraftian elements. There's Annihilation, The Thing, Lovecraft Country, True Detective, In the Mouth of Madness...we don't NEED Lovecraft any more.

I know that I certainly do not. I don't regret being interested in him or his work, I don't regret the time I've spent reading or studying At the Mountains of Madness or playing the Arkham Horror LCG or whatever. But I'm at a point where I'm saying "no more". In Greer's post, one thing I especially liked is that she points out that in addition to Lovecraft being racist...he's also BORING. I'm sick of it.

And I'm sick of making excuses. I'm sick of saying the words "Shub-Niggurath" and having to subconsciously push back against the fact that the very concept of that Mythos deity is screamingly, blatantly racist. I don't ever want to look at one of my friends, an African-American, and explain that Lovecraft was a product of his time, that's how white people in Providence at the time thought, et cetera.

So this is it, I'm divorcing myself from Lovecraft. I wish that other game players would do the same- stand up and say "enough is enough". In this day and age, with right-wing sentiment on the rise and fascistic viewpoints creeping into the mainstream, I believe it is dangerous to promote even the subtlest racist media. It's time for game designers to knock it off with the Lovecraft shit. It's time for game designers to look for inspiration elsewhere. It's time for us to cut Lovecraft loose and move on to something better.

There Will Be Games
Michael Barnes (He/Him)
Senior Board Game Reviews Editor

Sometime in the early 1980s, MichaelBarnes’ parents thought it would be a good idea to buy him a board game to keep him busy with some friends during one of those high-pressure, “free” timeshare vacations. It turned out to be a terrible idea, because the game was TSR’s Dungeon! - and the rest, as they say, is history. Michael has been involved with writing professionally about games since 2002, when he busked for store credit writing for Boulder Games’ newsletter. He has written for a number of international hobby gaming periodicals and popular Web sites. From 2004-2008, he was the co-owner of Atlanta Game Factory, a brick-and-mortar retail store. He is currently the co-founder of FortressAT.com and Nohighscores.com as well as the Editor-in-Chief of Miniature Market’s Review Corner feature. He is married with two childen and when he’s not playing some kind of game he enjoys stockpiling trivial information about music, comics and film.

Articles by Michael

Michael Barnes
Senior Board Game Reviews Editor

Articles by Michael

Log in to comment

rinelk's Avatar
rinelk replied the topic: #283162 16 Oct 2018 19:15
Bravely written! I’m coming to realize that I change slowly, and it may take me a long time to join you. But, other than the supporting the artist bit in this particular case, because part of the reason it’s so popular is that it’s public domain, I am sympathetic to your reasons and impressed by your integrity.
Deleted's Avatar
Deleted replied the topic: #283164 16 Oct 2018 19:42
Brave LMAO. It's not brave to point out a cunt is being a cunt. We at the fort have already been down this road. We all recognize he was a talented artist, and also, a giant cunt.

Thanks for sharing your apparent realization that he was a racist. Not sure why you've decided to revisit this after all your defense of "separate the art from the artist", but good on you for pointing out the obvious fact that HP Lovecraft was racist AF.
Michael Barnes's Avatar
Michael Barnes replied the topic: #283165 16 Oct 2018 19:59
I’m always the first to admit when I’ve got something wrong, and this is one of those cases. I was wrong to use the messed up “separate the art from the artist” argument to defend Lovecraft in the past, and this is me pubically stating that I was wrong.

I think you can still acknowledge and appreciate art made by racist dirtbags. Witness Triumph of the Will or Birth of a Nation. The artistic merit can’t be denied, just like I could not sit here and tell you that Cthulhu Wars or Eldritch Horror are bad games.

But you have to acknowledge that with that artistry, there are politics and agendas that have informed their creation and creators. If you can come to terms with Lovecraft’s racism and you feel comfortable excusing or ignoring it, that is a personal decision I respect. Art does not always have to match up with our personal politics. Sometimes, it shouldn’t. But other times- as is the case here- there comes a point at which we either stop making excuses for it or we are complicit with it.

Before, my position was that I was OK with the subject matter with a clear understanding of the context of it. But now, my feeling is that there is absolutely no reason to engage with anything by Lovecraft or based directly on Lovecraft when better, more highly evolved and refined examples of this kind of horror setting exist. Examples that don’t need the excuses or disclaimers.

This is a blog post- it’s a personal statement of intent. It’s true that it’s not really fresh for those who read our forums and it’s certainly not new to anyone who has been aware of the groundswell of anti-HPL sentiment that has been rumbling around for a few years. What -is- new here is that I am making it clear that I am cutting all ties to further Lovecraft content.
Black Barney's Avatar
Black Barney replied the topic: #283166 16 Oct 2018 20:18
Can I still watch hentai?
Sevej's Avatar
Sevej replied the topic: #283168 16 Oct 2018 21:12
To be honest, we at this side of the world are not familiar at all with Lovecraft. A very small number of people do (and mostly to Cthulhu, not actual Lovecraft stories), but for the most of us what we got is just the extremely mainstream end of it. I have never been a big fan (not sure what's so special about it).

But I'm also curious. Both your writing, and the dudette on the other site show no example.

Note, that I'm not asking you to *prove* that Lovecraft is racist. This is just a honest question since Lovecraft is barely known here. It's difficult to put things into frame when almost every article about it only shows a snippet here and there, and mostly just rant (tried Googled it).
boothwah's Avatar
boothwah replied the topic: #283169 16 Oct 2018 21:15

Black Barney wrote: Can I still watch hentai?


Yes, but you are still a weeb.

So here's the deal. I've never read Lovecraft. Really had no idea what/who/why is Cthulu until I got into the gaming hobby, where it is slapped on a bazillion games as duty free ip. It, as an ip, is no more attractive to me than the nameless horror scenarios in Betrayal at House or something like that.

I can enjoy Eldritch just fine. Thanks for sending it btw, Gary! My wife has surprised the heck out of me and has asked to play it 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

/that said, That was a good read, mb
//if it makes you feel any better, you all made it so I can't enjoy Puerto Rico anymore
///but I still like toilet humor, so my growth curve is slight
jason10mm's Avatar
jason10mm replied the topic: #283170 16 Oct 2018 21:46
I dunno, it's pretty easy to strip out the "fun" stuff from Lovecraft and leave the bad stuff. He is long dead and no estate is profiting off his IP so does it really matter? It's not like he can defend himself or grow as a person. You are arguing with a pile of letters and some stories.


But I agree, there are other writers of weird fiction who merit some time in the limelight and we should find and celebrate them.
Colorcrayons's Avatar
Colorcrayons replied the topic: #283171 16 Oct 2018 21:46
I'm symapathetic to the overall message, yet I don't understand statements like "We don't need Lovecraft".

Not because I disagree with the statement, but I disagree with the intent.

It's like removing Kevin Spacey from the Usual Suspects.

Sure, he isn't there anymore. But the entire project is no longer the same.

What I'm trying to say is that I can agree that he had bad ideas he communicated, while disagreeing, rather strongly, that ignoring him or his influence is detrimental to what you're trying to accomplish.

Ignoring history never works out well.
CranBerries's Avatar
CranBerries replied the topic: #283172 16 Oct 2018 22:13
This is definitely worth talking about, but don't we have a politics section for that discussion? Am I misremembering site policy?
Michael Barnes's Avatar
Michael Barnes replied the topic: #283174 16 Oct 2018 22:21
It’s not possible to eliminate the significance of Lovecraft. He is -profoundly- influential. And yes, even important. Countless writers, illustrators, game designers, musicians, playwrights, sculptors, and other creators have been influenced by Lovecraft, and this means something. However, this does not mean that the Lovecraft canon- which includes pulp fiction stories, poems (such as the “On the Creation of N******s cited in the pic above, and piles of embarrassing correspondence should be given a free pass on their hatefulness.

But it’s not just those letters. The racism is throughout the work. His description of non-whites is consistently repellent and crude. It is true that it is keeping in line with common-at-the-time pulp standards...but we don’t have have to continue accepting those standards.

I’m reminded of something going on in comics, where folks are starting to say “hey, you know what, Robert Crumb’s misogyny, racism, and creepy pedo stuff is not really OK anymore”. Up jump the white dudes to decry erasing Crumb’s importance and influence. But the message that should be coming across is that we simply don’t need to continue to blindly venerate these creators without being bluntly honest about how fucking disgusting they are by modern standards.

I’m just not doing the whole “hey, he was a white dude in Rhode Island, it was the early 20th century, those were the times, he didn’t like shellfish” thing any more. It’s NOT Ok with me any more. But I can still acknowledge and appreciate that “Lovecraftian” is a meaningful and significant descriptor for a valid reason.

Sevej, Google “Lovecraft racism” and you’ll get plenty of direct quotes of HPL directly stating racist viewpoints. You aren’t going to find any evidence of HPL lynching someone or anything like that because the reality of it is that he was very much like today’s ultra right wing internet trolls- strong words from behind a keyboard/typewriter, but too scared and reclusive to go out and publically take action on his hatred. I understand that racism is a very different thing in Indonesia so there may be some cultural differences in how we view all of this.
Matt Thrower's Avatar
Matt Thrower replied the topic: #283179 17 Oct 2018 04:24

Sevej wrote: But I'm also curious. Both your writing, and the dudette on the other site show no example.


Actually, Barnes does show an example - the poem in the image at the top of the article.

I suggest you don't read the comment thread on the Eurogamer article, but in there the point is made that examples aren't needed because it's commonly known, and a plain fact. But if you're not familiar with his work, here are some.

"Suddenly the leader of the visiting mariners, an Arab with a hatefully negroid mouth, pulled forth a dirty, crumpled paper and handed it to the captain."

"Most of the people, he conjectured, were of Mongoloid stock, originating somewhere in or near Kurdistan—and Malone could not help recalling that Kurdistan is the land of the Yezidis, last survivors of the Persian devil-worshippers."

"He was conscious, as one who united imagination with scientific knowledge, that modern people under lawless conditions tend uncannily to repeat the darkest instinctive patterns of primitive half-ape savagery in their daily life"

- All from The Horror at Red Hook

"Soon after we were married he told me that whenever we have company he would appreciate it if there were Aryans in the majority ... When I protested that I too was one of them, he'd tell me I 'no longer belonged to these mongrels'."

- Quote from his Jewish wife, found in an autobiography

"The organic things—Italo-Semitico-Mongoloid—inhabiting that awful cesspool could not by any stretch of the imagination be call’d human. They were monstrous and nebulous adumbrations of the pithecanthropoid and amoebal;"

- Description of people living on the Lower East Side, from his letters

"The negro had been knocked out, and moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore leg"

- from Re-Animator

Hopefully, that's enough to prove the point. You can find echoes of it in many of his stories which revolve around a white man pf Anglo-Saxon descent uncovering bestial vices among primitive folk of "lesser" races.

As to the article itself, while I applaud the stance, it's a horse that's bolted. The non-racist aspects of Lovecraft's work have essentially become too mainstream to be redacted, and I'm uncertain on the value of attempting to do so. Perhaps it would be better to try and openly confront the underlying racism when we have to inevitably deal with it.

But regardless of Lovecraft's vile political views, I think it's high time gaming moved on from his work simply because it's been done to death. There's nothing new in that seam and it's long past high time we moved on to more creative pastures.
stoic's Avatar
stoic replied the topic: #283181 17 Oct 2018 06:04
Dibs on the eventual copy of Cthulhu Wars that goes up for sale here. It's tainted with pure Lovecraftian evil, but, I know the proper rituals to dispel that evil since I live in the Louisiana swap. To make sure, I'll also have it blessed by a local African-American Voodoo high priest.

Jackwraith's Avatar
Jackwraith replied the topic: #283184 17 Oct 2018 08:34

MattDP wrote: As to the article itself, while I applaud the stance, it's a horse that's bolted. The non-racist aspects of Lovecraft's work have essentially become too mainstream to be redacted, and I'm uncertain on the value of attempting to do so. Perhaps it would be better to try and openly confront the underlying racism when we have to inevitably deal with it.

But regardless of Lovecraft's vile political views, I think it's high time gaming moved on from his work simply because it's been done to death. There's nothing new in that seam and it's long past high time we moved on to more creative pastures.


I think Matt is in the right here, on both points. Everyone is free to take what stances they want on others' creative work (there are many who won't listen to Wagner's work because of his rather virulent anti-Semitic perspective, for example), but I think moving on from HPL is perhaps more important simply because there's nothing new in continuing to perpetuate it. I say this as an enthusiastic fan of the mythos that have been built up around him and only an occasional fan of his actual writing. Both of the pieces of fiction that I've had published were in collections of Lovecraftian stories. But, like I told the editor of said works, there's nothing new here. SSDD, as it were.

I will not, however, toss away my copy of Cthulhu Wars just yet, since I haven't even had a chance to play it...
Hatchling's Avatar
Hatchling replied the topic: #283186 17 Oct 2018 09:17
Thanks, Barnes, for your always thoughtful blog and comments. It is an interesting and important topic.

So much of game inspiration comes from thoughts about the supernatural, unknown, otherworldly, fantastical, and so on. While those ideas and feelings speak to something universal and shared -- our vulnerability to forces beyond our control, our mortality, our superstitions and fears, etc -- they are also bound up with the racism, sexism (witches), anti-semetism, xenophobia and irrational hatred that turns people who are different or marginalized into scapegoats for the evils and dangers in the world and within us.

I bet there is a ton written on this, but one book that i heard about recently and what to read that sort of taps into these issues is Bunk, by Kevin Young.
Bunk, by Kevin Young. . The connection between hoaxes, superstitions and racism is there, and that can easily be extended to provide a window into how tropes about the strange and unusual in fantasy writing can belong to the same history.

I hope these problems spur the creative minds among us to use ideas of fantasy and the otherworldly to pursue a better cultural history.
Black Barney's Avatar
Black Barney replied the topic: #283187 17 Oct 2018 09:41
In all seriousness, I’m wondering if it makes sense to discount or disregard art because of the acts of the artist. This is very different than disregarding the work of Mengele or something, that I can get behind.

If there is obvious racism in the work, then yeah I think I’d be uncomfortable with that. But say I was a big fan of Cthulhu and had a cool art piece of him (it?) in my house, then one of my best friends, a Haitian, comes over and says, « ... um... wasn’t Lovecraft a class A dick? »

I don’t know. I think I’d just say, « yeah for sure, but that’s not Lovecraft, I’m not hanging David Duke posters in my house or anything »

Like I’m not going to ever pretend that Manhattan isn’t an amazing movie just because Woody Allen’s sexual drive might be a tad deviant

Great write up just the same Barnes, I find myself thinking a lot about it and I read it yesterday
stoic's Avatar
stoic replied the topic: #283189 17 Oct 2018 10:48
Lovecraft possessed the same human frailty and vices that have plagued all of humanity ever since Grog the caveman exited his cave, whether that be racism, bigotry, prejudice, stereotyping, avarice, envy, greed etc. I personally want to punish Lovecraft for coming up with words used for the names of his Elder Gods and Ancient Ones since I can neither spell them nor pronounce them. Fuck Cthulhu! How are you supposed to spell or pronounce that? Yet, what genius it took to create those words since they represent something clearly otherworldly and contrary to ordinary experience--it transports the reader somewhere else.

Regardless, I want a Cthulhu themed kite to fly in the sky just like in the video below of the Octopus kite. That would be so cool!


BaronDonut's Avatar
BaronDonut replied the topic: #283190 17 Oct 2018 10:58
I think the question of how to separate art from artist (or whether this is even possible) is one of the defining questions of our current cultural moment. What does it mean to be an ethical consumer? It's a fraught and difficult conversation. Historically we've put up with a lot of bullshit from our most beloved artists, excusing pretty much any behavior or sidelining it due to the artist's "genius." The difficult and tortured savant has become an engrained part of our consciousness, and it's made even more difficult due to the shift in cultural values over time. Should we hold artists of another age to the same standard we hold artists to today? Does a boycott matter when the creator is no longer around to profit from their problematic ideas? I don't know, exactly, though I think it's worthwhile to consider what our culture might look like if we prioritized the inclusion of others over problematic works of genius, or our own satisfaction as fans.

Of course, all art is a reflection of its times, and I think it's interesting to look at the current glut of Lovecraft products and ask: what are they saying about the current moment? And I think the answer is... nothing. They've carefully sanded away the most obvious signifier's of Lovecraft's shitty ideas, but fail to actually replace it with anything other than a hollow sense of comfort, familiarity, and "fun." And they are fun! Well, some of them. I like the Arkham Horror LCG as much as anyone, but the beats it hits and the themes it explores are rote and empty. It succeeds despite this empty reference, due to mechanical and storytelling ingenuity, but what if it was based on a set of ideas and characters and mythologies that weren't beaten to death and sucked dry for every edible morsel?

The answer is simple, of course, which is that Lovecraft is recognizable and easy and (most importantly) free. And as long as people keep buying it, well, why on earth would they stop? Why invest in new IPs that require effort and imagination and (god forbid) a writer or two to pay when you can trot out the old stuff to get gobbled up? And why in the world would you approach the Mythos in a way that questions or critiques because then maybe folks wouldn't buy a bunch of goddamn miniatures?
Michael Barnes's Avatar
Michael Barnes replied the topic: #283196 17 Oct 2018 12:41
I just started reading Lovecraft Country and this early passage really struck me. Atticus is the main character, a black sci-fi fan in the 1950s. His uncle, George, is too. The racism of Burroughs, Lovecraft, and other pulp writers is a subject of family debate:

“I do love them,” George agreed. “But stories are like people, Atticus. Loving them doesn’t make them perfect. You try to cherish their virtues and overlook their flaws. The flaws are still there, though.” “But you don’t get mad. Not like Pop does.” “No, that’s true, I don’t get mad. Not at stories. They do disappoint me sometimes.” He looked at the shelves. “Sometimes, they stab me in the heart.”

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anything that strikes right at what white privilege means when reading a book, watching a movie, or playing a game where non-whites are either under- or mis- represented. The love for the stories is there...but an awareness of the tragedy of racism is too. I can imagine that a lot of People of Color who are genre fans relate directly to this passage and the sadness it expresses.
blatz's Avatar
blatz replied the topic: #283199 17 Oct 2018 13:04
Lovecraft has always been a tough one for me when it come to separating the art from the artist. I have no problem loving music, books, paintings, etc made by people who are repulsive human beings as long as the art itself isn't an expression of racism or other hatred. I mean, if my appreciation of art hinged on whether or not the creator was somebody I could morally identify with, I'd probably be missing out on most of the great works of our time.

With Lovecraft, though, the racism is so embedded in the actual work that I don't feel comfortable enough with it to want to play games in his world. I can appreciate his works for the influence they've had and I don't think we should run from it or hold book burnings but I think we should also NOT be okay with his worldview because of the times he lived in. It's insulting to the people who DID live those times and who DIDN'T believe like he did.

I certainly would never judge anybody who enjoys the Mythos and I do understand that most the of "Lovecraft" has been sanded away from them over time but, for me, I will choose to spend my make-believe time in a different setting.
ChristopherMD's Avatar
ChristopherMD replied the topic: #283200 17 Oct 2018 13:05
To help all of you who don't want to toss your Lovecraft games I will be setting up a Kickstarter next month for some game covers. It will include various sizes of white sheets that you can slide over your games so they're unrecognizable. Below is a prototype only.

Erik Twice's Avatar
Erik Twice replied the topic: #283201 17 Oct 2018 13:23

BaronDonut wrote: What does it mean to be an ethical consumer? It's a fraught and difficult conversation. Historically we've put up with a lot of bullshit from our most beloved artists, excusing pretty much any behavior or sidelining it due to the artist's "genius."

I don't think people can or ought to regulate ethics by consumption. It is not the role of the consumer to do so and buying stuff is not a path to ethics. Quite simply, the idea that consumption is a way to enforce ethics in society is pure capitalist nonsense.

Regarding artist behaviour, I don't think it is the role of the consumer to judge or demand artists think or conduct themselves in a particular way. Being a buyer does not entitle you to judge the behaviour of an artist anymore than it entitles people to judge the behaviour of a waiter or a cashier just because they happen to pay them.

By the same rule, artists shouldn't be entitled to protection other people do not have just because they are well-liked or famous. People should not excuse someone's racism, rape or whatever awful behaviour because they like someone. Again, it's not the consumer's role to care about what artist do or say.

--

I also want to note: In 99% of cases, the people affected by boycotts and other "ethical consumption" measures are not racists, serial harrasers or bigots but the usual targets of hate: Women, transexuals, black people, lesbians, etc, etc. Think about all the recent nerd or gaming outrages? Who has been the target?
Black Barney's Avatar
Black Barney replied the topic: #283202 17 Oct 2018 13:25
Good point Erik. The boycott of Chick-Fil-A ended up bolstering their revenues like crazy as advocates for traditional marriage started flooding their shops every Wednesday.
Gary Sax's Avatar
Gary Sax replied the topic: #283203 17 Oct 2018 13:30
Wait, so you guys are trying to tell me that consumer boycotts don't work? Definitely tell that to the civil rights movement. Or South African apartheid regime.

To say that it isn't the consumer's "role" to think about what they consume or how, I both cannot disagree with that strongly enough while simultaneously acknowledging the *practical* deep hypocrisy that every OECD capitalist resident goes through on a day to day---no ethical consumption under capitalism, etc.
Black Barney's Avatar
Black Barney replied the topic: #283204 17 Oct 2018 13:34
I can't speak for Erik, but I think we're saying that they cause unintended consequences.
Michael Barnes's Avatar
Michael Barnes replied the topic: #283206 17 Oct 2018 14:03

ChristopherMD wrote: To help all of you who don't want to toss your Lovecraft games I will be setting up a Kickstarter next month for some game covers. It will include various sizes of white sheets that you can slide over your games so they're unrecognizable. Below is a prototype only.


A Klan hood for Cthulhu games????