October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Risk: Legacy...

More
21 Aug 2011 15:49 #101819 by Bulwyf
Risk: Legacy... was created by Bulwyf
Has anyone here on the Fort been following this? Apparently Rob Daviau and Co. are at it again by designing a new Risk game slated for release later this year. Here's the official blurb:

How will you shape your world?

In Risk Legacy, every game you play will change every future game. A decision you make in Game 1 could come back to haunt you in Game 10. The risks you take in Risk Legacy are not like those in any other board game. You and the other players will shape how your world evolves: its history, its cities, even its factions and how they fight. Cards and stickers will come into play. Cards will go out of play forever. You don't forget past betrayals – and neither does the game.

Unlock new rules and watch events unfold as you play more games. No two games will EVER be the same.

Play your game. Write your history.

So while you do permanently alter your game, you and your friends are creating a totally unique gaming experience. That sounds completely awesome. I just wonder what the final price point will be so I know how many sets I can buy. The pics of the game on TOS aren't doing my wallet any favors either.

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2011 17:33 #101825 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I have no idea what this means, but the ad copy makes it sound very awesome.

More
21 Aug 2011 17:34 #101826 by madwookiee
Replied by madwookiee on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I'm definitely tracking this. I haven't been excited about Risk in ages, but I'm going to be all over this one.

More
21 Aug 2011 17:58 #101827 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
RISK + MAO...?

More
21 Aug 2011 19:35 - 21 Aug 2011 19:37 #101830 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

Gary Sax wrote: I have no idea what this means, but the ad copy makes it sound very awesome.

Ok as near as I can tell from surfing the web and reading posts by the designers, this is a customizable board game. Every copy starts out the same out of the box, however as you play successive rounds the game world is permanently altered. This is done by the addition of stickers applied to various game components (cards, board, etc), the permanent removal of cards from the current session and all future sessions and marking the board! The net result is that two copies of the game played by separate groups could have vast differences when it's all said and done. So really you could think of it as Risk the Campaign Game. Of course as awesome as this sounds, it looks like you would really need to play it with a consistent group to get the most out of what the campaign offers.

Other tidbits from the designers:

Players do not need to play the same faction in each session. (I guess the focus of the campaign is to provide a unique battlefield for each game/group)

"The factions are unique, even at the start of the game. It's more than just picking to be the "blue" faction.". (Variable factions and units? If you look closely at the pics each army has different playing pieces. Hell yes!)

This version of Risk will be sold in hobby stores like Battleship: Galaxies.

-Will
Last edit: 21 Aug 2011 19:37 by Bulwyf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Aug 2011 19:48 #101832 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

Aarontu wrote: RISK + MAO...?

Nice...we played a ton of Mao in highschool and college. Hopefully it won't be quite that chaotic.

More
21 Aug 2011 22:52 #101840 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
It's not just Rob Daviau - it's also Chris Dupuis. He's had his hands in tons of great games. I have no idea how this plays, but I'm really looking forward to it.

More
22 Aug 2011 02:29 #101847 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Sounds novel, but not really grabbing my attention at the moment. It would be nice to have a reset button somewhere, even if it meant that you could replace/repurchase the altered items without having to repurchase the entire game. I mean, what if the world evolves into a broken place to play Risk?

And, let's face it, it's still Risk. Hey, I respect Risk's pedigree and I've had a lot fun with it in the past, but it's just not a go-to game for me these days. Perhaps if the idea goes over well, they might release a Risk:2210:Legacy. This I might pony up for. If it had a reset button.

More
22 Aug 2011 04:00 #101849 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I agree, D+T. This may be one of those games I sit on the sideline for, and if it's a total breakthrough idea, I wait for it to be copied into a more palatable form since I just don't enjoy Risk that much. This is a copycat hobby, so we'll probably see their great idea in a context I'd enjoy.

More
22 Aug 2011 06:27 #101852 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Count me in! This sounds awesome, and I know I'll get to play it a bunch because it's Risk. There are very few groupings of friends you can have that wouldn't allow for at least one session of Risk, and even if it sucks and nobody wants to play it ever again, odds are you spent less on the game than on the beer you drank while playing it.

This version of Risk will be sold in hobby stores like Battleship: Galaxies.

Oh, so we're talking a $60-ish game that I probably can't resell after the first few times I play it then? Well, that pretty much fucks it for me. Sorry, but the last time I bought Risk was only 3 years ago, it was 20 bucks, and that version works just fine for me. I might, might be willing to pay twice that much for a new edition, but Risk always been and will always be a disposable product as far as I'm concerned, and if it's not going to stay that way, this new one had better be a hell of a lot better than the "Black Ops" version.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds