October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Risk: Legacy...

More
22 Aug 2011 12:08 #101854 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
It would make sense for them to use some sort of cling instead of an actual sticker. I sincerely hope someone in the DEV team thought of that. There's your reset button.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 13:02 - 22 Aug 2011 13:28 #101855 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
If the stickers on the board are those clingy things and permanently retiring the cards means throwing them in a different compartment in the box then this could be a great model. It could also allow for duplicate play where a scenario is published for everyone to mock up on their own board. That could make for interesting tournament play.

Conceptually that's interesting.

If the changes to the board are permanent then they're shooting themselves in the foot. Follow-on sales of replacement boards and stickers maybe? Sounds contrived.

This version of Risk will be sold in hobby stores like Battleship: Galaxies.

It's starting to sound more and more like Hasbro is trying to put more name-recognized games into hobby stores in an attempt to get Average Joe to walk into them and look around.

S.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 13:28 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Aug 2011 16:43 #101863 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I like the idea and think it could be a blast, but I'll chime in to agree that cling stickers allowing for a reset would make a world of difference. My other issue is that I play with a large variety of people and would have a tough time with continuity.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:04 #101867 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

Sagrilarus wrote:

It's starting to sound more and more like Hasbro is trying to put more name-recognized games into hobby stores in an attempt to get Average Joe to walk into them and look around.

Pretty sure that their goal has nothing to do with doing the hobby game industry a solid by giving them games an Average Joe will go to hobby stores for. Heck, since they're in hobby stores only, I'm pretty sure Average Joes won't even know of their existence. The idea is likely that they want hobby gamers interested in buying Hasbro games again, which has the potential of being profitable (despite the small target audience) due to the fact that hobby gamers are willing to pay way more for their games than non-gamers (this ain't gonna be a $20 Risk game).

I too hope for a reset button, though I strongly doubt there will be, based on the pictures.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:19 - 22 Aug 2011 17:28 #101868 by Sagrilarus

dragonstout wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Pretty sure that their goal has nothing to do with doing the hobby game industry a solid by giving them games an Average Joe will go to hobby stores for.

Hasbro has a solid number of titles in those hobby game stores these days. Expensive ones. Tie-ins, display kiosks, cross-promotions . . . interesting option.

dragonstout wrote: I too hope for a reset button, though I strongly doubt there will be, based on the pictures.

If you're right it would essentially be a play-once sort of game. A disposable title. I understand you'd get multiple plays from one set but each would result in a non-returnable state. That would be a very strange experiment. I'll tell you what though -- if you do indeed damage the board when you play I'll be getting mine to the color plotter at Kinko's before touching it with any of those stickers or pens.

The only game image on BGG appears to have names written on it, but they also appear to be with a white board pen. If anyone has more images I'd love to see them.

Edit: Scratch that. From Daviau -- "The stickers are permanent. You put it on a card, the game board, or faction card and there it stays."

That's the end of the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

S.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 17:28 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:28 - 22 Aug 2011 17:30 #101869 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
This is such an amazing idea, but it's also one that I'm afraid 1) isn't very commercial and 2) isn't very practical. It's also oddly out of step with the way that most hobbyist play games these days.

I love the concept of effectively altering the game through outcomes- that's really kind of like what goes on with something like L5R, but on a much smaller, micro scale with each copy being a different version of potentialities. But it is going to require that you play Risk with the same group of people, what, 10 times? What are the odds of that these days?

Mainstream gamers that are more likely to buy Risk...they won't get it. It may be a "huh, sounds neat" thing but why this is an innovative and interesting concept for board games would be completely lost on them, I think.

And if really is a "permanent" change to the components, then it's just not practical at all. I can definitely see it working with Colorform-like clings or something, and it could even enhance the game if players come to know what certain outcomes are and are required to plan for them even a game in advance. That could be awesome.

We'll see how it goes. I'm definitely watching this one and will review it.

EDIT- just saw Sag's last post. That's really unfortunate. My interest in this is much, much lower. That does effectively make it a limited replay, disposable game. I do not understand that design choice in any way. Of course, there are ways around that- sleeve the cards, laminate the stickers and just lay them on the board, etc....
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 17:30 by Michael Barnes.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:31 #101870 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

The stickers are permanent. You put it on a card, the game board, or faction card and there it stays."

In that case, I will definitely figure out a way to not permanetly alter the game. I can imagine playing this easily and quickly several times with a group of kids. Given a limited number of components, eventually you will be unable to evolve the board/cards any longer. It would be hard to part with $60 knowing that you may reach a game state that is unplayable (in some sense).

More
22 Aug 2011 17:36 #101871 by Sagrilarus

Space Ghost wrote: In that case, I will definitely figure out a way to not permanetly alter the game.

I'll tell you who's going to make money on this one -- the online game store that packages it with with acetates, sleeves, and duplicate stickers in one consolidated package at the same price as your FLGS for the game alone.

S.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:42 #101872 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

Space Ghost wrote:

The stickers are permanent. You put it on a card, the game board, or faction card and there it stays."

In that case, I will definitely figure out a way to not permanetly alter the game. I can imagine playing this easily and quickly several times with a group of kids. Given a limited number of components, eventually you will be unable to evolve the board/cards any longer. It would be hard to part with $60 knowing that you may reach a game state that is unplayable (in some sense).

I'm sure with a clever use of card sleeves and laminate you could figure out a way to make the alterations non-permanent. With that in mind, I really like the idea of a scenario databank being created for this version of Risk. I'll be keeping a close eye on this title as I think it has a potential to be amazing. Besides, I figure Hasbro owes me one to make up for the colossal letdown that was Battleship Galaxies.

More
22 Aug 2011 17:51 #101873 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I love the idea of a persistent world board game. Awesome, awesome idea. Coloforms would be ideal over stickers though. Who says you have to play with the same people each time?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds