October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Risk: Legacy...

More
24 Aug 2011 02:13 #102044 by robdaviau
Replied by robdaviau on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Of course. Is it just drinks or would you like to see a menu?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:19 #102045 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
An English rulebook will suffice. I know it probably doesn't vary much from past Risk rulebooks, but people are hungry for more.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:20 #102046 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Clearly there's no changing your mind, Mr. Bistro. You're a True Believer. I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities and hurt Hasbro's feelings. That was an accurate paraphrasing of the one reason that was given for actually going ahead and marking your copy or ripping up cards.

You rang?

No, but now that you're here, is it possible to change the game in a way that it becomes permanently broken? Of course you hope it doesn't happen. Might it happen anyway? If so, what then?

Also, if there's nothing preventing me from playing the game without destroying certain components or permanently changing others, why shouldn't I do that? Is there any real benefit to leaving that sticker on there forever beyond novelty, or the idea that I'd be conquering some inherent gamer OCD? In other words, what's so wrong with having a Reset button?

More
24 Aug 2011 02:25 #102047 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
I am intrigued by this game. I don't think it will be perfect and I can see how things could go horribly awry, but I give the designers props for something new.

Could your game get broken? Yes. But I like to think I and my gaming cohorts would be smart enough to realize someone has an advantage and work to take that away. It is like my copy of Risk suddenly becoming Fortress America for a game or two and we would work together to bring the balance of power back.

mjl, I agree with you often, but I think your post does come across vitriolic. I'm not saying you should go out and buy the game sight unseen, but give it a chance. Let it come out and see what people actually playing the game think. I just don't think there is enough info out there to go on yet. Give them credit for an original idea and then step back and wait to see what comes of this. Worst case scenario, it falls flat. Oh well. My guess is someone would come along and fix the areas that don't work (maybe insert a reset button) and improve upon the foundation that has been laid. Either way, I think it sounds interesting and I will be watching this closely to see how it fares.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:36 #102048 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

mjl1783 wrote: Clearly there's no changing your mind, Mr. Bistro. You're a True Believer. I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities and hurt Hasbro's feelings. That was an accurate paraphrasing of the one reason that was given for actually going ahead and marking your copy or ripping up cards.

Oy. I say I can understand your reservations, but don't get the language, and that gets me labeled as a True Believer? Do I have to let you change my mind to not be delicate? Oh no!

Keep chest thumping if you must. I'm just excited for something that seems innovative. Unfortunately with a game like this, with all of its secret data, we can't know anything satisfying until it comes out.

*puffs on his inhaler*

More
24 Aug 2011 02:40 #102049 by robdaviau
Replied by robdaviau on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

No, but now that you're here, is it possible to change the game in a way that it becomes permanently broken? Of course you hope it doesn't happen. Might it happen anyway? If so, what then?

I guess it depends on how you define broken. Will it stay perfectly balanced where every person starts every game with an equal chance to win? No. That was on purpose. Is it possible to manipulate the system so that one person gains an unfair advantage where other people can't win or the gameboard is so awful that no one wants to play on it? I really think you'd have to try to do that. Like set out trying to make sure it was unplayable. Even then it would be effort.

Also, if there's nothing preventing me from playing the game without destroying certain components or permanently changing others, why shouldn't I do that? Is there any real benefit to leaving that sticker on there forever beyond novelty, or the idea that I'd be conquering some inherent gamer OCD? In other words, what's so wrong with having a Reset button?

There's nothing wrong with a reset button. Just like there's nothing wrong with permanent stickers. They are different approaches. I guess I really wanted to explore the idea of a game becoming a living memento of every game that was played on it. So the mistakes, victories, good decisions, and bad decisions, all shape the game itself. The game becomes a victim and reflection of the people who played it. It was a design exploration that proved to resonate with the groups it was tested with. We knew that this is radical, even heretical to some.

This decision has certainly caused discussion in and of itself and that is probably a good thing in our hobby.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:45 - 24 Aug 2011 02:49 #102050 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
This is pretty much looks like a multi-session game as best I can tell. A long, play-once disposable package. What's the MSRP on this pup?

For the record I don't have any tattoos. That may be some insight into my reluctance to buy this one.

S.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 02:49 by Sagrilarus.

More
24 Aug 2011 02:59 #102051 by madwookiee
Replied by madwookiee on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...

Sagrilarus wrote: disposable

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

More
24 Aug 2011 03:21 #102056 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Rob, I applaud you. This is the ballsiest and most innovative thing I have seen in quite a while in gaming. I think getting 10-15 plays out of a set would be fantastic for many gamers, so if that is all you get before you need to trash it for a reboot, then it really is good enough (there are occasional lists on BGG where people are vowing to try to get 5 plays out of games they own, which is quite embarrassing if you think about it).

More
24 Aug 2011 03:35 #102057 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re: Risk: Legacy...
Yeah, I think I'm in the "even if this falls flat on it's face, it was worth trying" camp now.
While the jury may be out on whether this concept will work well, it's good to see fresh ideas.
And based on his comments here and at BGG, Mr Daviau seems good-naturedly amused by the reaction this announcement is causing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds