October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Nexus Ops

More
19 Aug 2008 09:13 #10276 by ChristopherMD
Aarontu wrote:
A quick, light, and easy wargame that is actually pretty balanced! INGENIOUS!!!

The pieces are certainly cool and nice to look at, though the box is a bit overly-yellow. The modular board is very nice, colorful, and cartoony. The game scales well for any number of players; the staggered starting income is a great balancing mechanism, and all the exploration tiles are roughly equal in value. I use blue acrylic crystals for rubium, which add a Starcraft-esque coolness to the game. The game is simple and easy, moves fast, and looks and feels way cool! Also, the pieces have a distinct alien-odor that just adds to the theme!

But, for some reason, I just don't feel like playing it very much. Since the object of the game is simply to win a bunch of battles, every game feels kind of the same. I still love the game and think it's great, but it's not my first choice, anymore.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2008 09:49 #10277 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Nexus Ops
I've only played it a couple times but it seemed pretty fun. Especially getting the dragon out an about...

More
19 Aug 2008 10:46 #10279 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Nexus Ops
It's a solid game--there's a lot of "game" in there. You can futz along, la la la, and then just RAWR! Special Mission! Capture the base! Gather 6 points! Game. Excellent midgame rebalancing. You never feel like you're out of it in my experience. A couple of good die rolls and you get right back into it. The only real screwage in my experience can come from tough lava placement near your edge of the board, and it's not like you don't see that coming.

Great game, oh, and now officially grossly overpriced. I saw one on eBay for >$40. This was in the bargain bin for like 10 cents for more than a year. Now it's hot property! Damn this is a weird hobby.

More
20 Aug 2008 00:48 - 20 Aug 2008 00:49 #10311 by Stonecutter
jeb wrote:

Great game, oh, and now officially grossly overpriced. I saw one on eBay for >$40. This was in the bargain bin for like 10 cents for more than a year. Now it's hot property! Damn this is a weird hobby.

If that's indicative of a trend then I'm really glad I bought mine when I did. I found one on Amazon 2-3 months ago. I can't remember what I paid but I'm sure it was +/- 5 of MSRP.

I LOVE this game. Anyone who's willing to play Risk is more than willing to play Nexus Ops and it's a vastly superior game.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2008 00:49 by Stonecutter.

More
20 Aug 2008 11:30 #10321 by Schweig!
Great game and we even played it under black light.

Best Nexus Ops moment: Winning the game with the 4 VP "Out of the sky" (was it?) card, where you dive with two dragons from the Monolith into an enemy's base.

We always play this game in four player team mode, how about you?

More
20 Aug 2008 17:03 #10346 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Nexus Ops
I've never had the pleasure to play this 4 player, but I have quite a few three player games under my belt.

I love this game.

The Secret Missions cards are great, simply because they always keep you're opponent guessing and i'm known in my group or unleashing a series of well played Secret Mission ards to really steal the win from behind.

I wish there was some super awesome deluxe version of this game with a larger maps, more bases, etc...but sometimes simplicity is great.

I rarely seem to be able to get on the monolith though, and don't really use it as a key part of my overall strategy, but certainly getting those energize cards is nice.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds