October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Battlestations!

More
30 Sep 2008 05:13 #12079 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Battlestations!
Count Orlok wrote:

and things like scanning and pumping engines were declared to be "gay".

I declare your group to be "a bunch of shit-eating cockfags". Arrrgh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2008 09:17 #12085 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Battlestations!
Count Orlok wrote:

pumping engines were declared to be "gay".

I...uh...guess that depends on how you pump the engines.

More
30 Sep 2008 09:40 #12091 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Battlestations!
Anybody know a place where you can buy this online? All I can find are the rulebook by itself (which doesn't do much good without the game) and some of the expansions.

More
30 Sep 2008 10:05 #12094 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Battlestations!
dan daly wrote:

Anybody know a place where you can buy this online? All I can find are the rulebook by itself (which doesn't do much good without the game) and some of the expansions.

This should be trickling back into online shops as its just now been reprinted. The reprint includes the new 1.1 rulebook, some new tiles (I believe) and some premade "ships". I don't know this for certain, this is what I've gleaned from reading about it online.

I'm about to take the plunge and pick up the minis for this--those cutouts are a bitch! My painting skills suck so I'll probably just paint the bases for their profession colors.

The game itself looks fantastic in terms of what it is--a RPG/boardgame hybrid. Hopefully it avoids the pratfalls of each--the "lack of adventure" feeling that boardgames often give, but the "lack of rigid, defined structure" that so many RPGs suffer from.

Of course, "The CO gives us orders" is only one step of magnitude removed from "You're all having a drink at the inn when a King's messenger comes bursting into the tavern..."

More
01 Oct 2008 18:05 #12247 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Battlestations!
Eh, you can easily use the rules of the game to run your own campaign of some sort. You could probably even mix it with another system if you were doing a heavy amount of off-the-ship stuff.
Takes a little knowledge of the system to write your own scenarios, but I don't think it'd be any harder than GMing any RPG.

More
03 Oct 2008 21:18 #12420 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Battlestations!
Heh, we just played Battlestations today again and we had a blast. I played my engineer again and of course it looks like the marine was having more fun, but after all everybody is moving around a map and rolling dice. What could be wrong with that?

More
03 Oct 2008 22:36 #12427 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Battlestations!
Schweig! wrote:

Heh, we just played Battlestations today again and we had a blast. I played my engineer again and of course it looks like the marine was having more fun, but after all everybody is moving around a map and rolling dice. What could be wrong with that?

I don't know, it sounds like a good time to me. After further discussion amidst our game group, it sounds even less likely that it will get played. I'm very disappointed - but I may be able to whip up another group to play.

Has anyone heard what tiles the new edition includes? I just got the 1.0 edition, so I'm not in a terrible risk to upgrade, especially since I don't have a single module yet.

I also plan on jumping into the minis someday, but that all depends on whether I can play it or not!

More
05 Oct 2008 15:51 #12443 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Battlestations!
I'm looking at Battlestar Galactica and Sapce Alert to replace my desire to play Battlestations again.

Battlestations has so many amazing thing about it, but the end result is pretty clunky.
Turns go so very slowly, and the ship seems as if it is crawling through molasses.

My big problem is steering the ship. That requires:
Engineers to pump the engines.
The pilot to make a roll to turn the ship.
An increase in instability in the ship which requires a second (and /or third) roll to stabilize the ship.

All that to turn your ship one hexside.

They manage to add a lot of detail to allow a massive spectrum of events, but they forgot to then go back and take out the stuff that wasn't fun.

More
05 Oct 2008 16:19 #12444 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Battlestations!
Yes, that's true. Battlestations isn't that great a space combat game. However, you should try the "Terrorist Cruiser" scenario. It's a fun one and every class has plenty to do.

More
05 Oct 2008 19:50 #12450 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Battlestations!
In my experience, BATTLESTATIONS lasts about 45 minutes before players start wondering why they aren't having any fun whatsoever. It's a total drag to play. Maybe I've just done bad scenarios or something, but everytime I've had it on the table I've thought about throwing it in a fire.

It's a good concept overall, even though I think it really is more of an RPG. If it were released in the 80s (where it belongs, frankly) then it would have been sold and purchased as an RPG. It may be that not enough of the RPG was cut out of it or that they just somehow managed to leave the crappy, boring RPG parts in while taking out the good ones.

At any rate, I think the game's a dud and I won't be bothered with a new edition. I think that little SUCKING VACUUM game is a much better option.

More
06 Oct 2008 09:57 #12462 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Battlestations!
What is this "sucking vacuum" you speak of?

More
06 Oct 2008 10:21 #12463 by Michael Barnes
It's this stupid little game put out a few years ago by a tiny company called Alien Menace. Basically, players are trapped on this spaceship that's blowing up and losing oxygen. You have to try to get to find the keys to these escape pods but the kicker is that you've got to have two different players with the right keys in there at the same time to get out. So it's a competitive/coop thing, but the double kicker is that there's also an android you can find that will take the place of the other player. Plus there's a ton of wanton violence- beating people with microscopes and whatnot. It's pretty neat. Not great, but pretty neat.

More
06 Oct 2008 10:33 #12464 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Battlestations!
Sounds similar to Omega Virus.

More
06 Oct 2008 10:43 #12466 by Michael Barnes
Nah...the game doesn't harangue you the whole time.

More
06 Oct 2008 21:17 #12526 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Battlestations!
I'm beginning to fear my hope and anticipation of Battlestations may be in vain. I've only played once and really enjoyed myself - but admittedly, it was only one scenario. I'm hoping there is enough scenario diversity to keep it fun, but that may just not be the case...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds