October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Delay Notice from Valley Games

More
25 Nov 2008 12:38 #14334 by Michael Barnes
I got mine Saturday- reports are true, it's an awesome production. Ignore the internet bitchers- the "smudging counters" thing is because somebody can't see that there's an intentional parchment effect printed on them. Fucking stupid.

The preorder Titan figures are fucking stupid too. Two of mine arrived broken and I got two green ones and no black one and I really don't care. They're GIGANTIC, like GI Joe sized, molded poorly, awful colors, and they're almost certain to be knocked over about a hundred times per game. I'm actually considering throwing them away to save shelf space (they're in a separate box the same size as the game box)because I'll never use them.

It's the definitive edition of TITAN, even with the new art. It's just too bad that Valley fumbled this one around so much yet again, if they could get their act together they'd be giving FFG a run for the money in terms of production quality and value.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2008 12:42 - 25 Nov 2008 12:45 #14335 by JoelCFC25
Some guy posted this on BGG the other day, and it's such a good tip that it bears repeating here:

To get the main boards and battle boards out of the box without splitting the corners (it's a really tight fit), get a length of ribbon--I found some excess satiny brown cloth ribbon in my wife's basket of doodads--and lay it over the counter tray once it's covered. Put the game boards in, fold the ribbon back over again, put in the battle boards and rules, and cut the ribbon off.

That way you can lever the boards out in a two stage process (they really are so heavy it's tricky to do them all at once).
Last edit: 25 Nov 2008 12:45 by JoelCFC25.

More
25 Nov 2008 13:16 #14339 by Space Ghost
I received my copy of Titan yesterday. Awesome production values. Michael is right -- clearly the counters look like they're supposed to, very awesome. I truly can't comprehend all the bitching about this. The game looks great.

I don't have too much trouble with the battleboards coming out of the box, but I just take them out one at a time (I know that trying to wedge my fingers down between the sides and all the boards will be a disaster). The really nice thing is the counter storage tray -- I wish all games were packed like this.

More
25 Nov 2008 17:27 #14389 by Michael Barnes
I didn't even know about the counter tray. I pulled all the stuff out and thought "No way"...the inside of the box is printed so you can see through the tray where the counters go.

The counters _were_ a little damp from the press...they smelled kind of like a Chinese newspaper. Left 'em out for about 8 hours and they were fine.

Custom dice too...don't forget those custom dice...and a rulebook with de-Greenwooded text...

More
26 Nov 2008 14:51 - 26 Nov 2008 14:52 #14475 by Dogmatix
Mine's finally here--and yea, the counters were wet--not damp--from the printer. To the point that about 50% didn't fit the slots. That wasn't a big deal as I knew I could just leave 'em out for a day or two and they'd shrink. The bitch was my copy at least, had a nice fine coating of actual mold on every countersheet, particularly down in the die-cut recesses. It was a pain in the ass to clean all 8 billion counters. Once that was done, however, it is certainly a beautiful edition...
Last edit: 26 Nov 2008 14:52 by Dogmatix.

More
26 Nov 2008 15:16 #14478 by Michael Barnes
Mine had kind of a dusty residue on them but it wasn't mold. Mold is black and splotchy on paper stuff. It wasn't like DUEL IN THE DARK, where the game box was practically a mold farm.

More
26 Nov 2008 19:20 #14494 by Dogmatix
Michael Barnes wrote:

Mine had kind of a dusty residue on them but it wasn't mold. Mold is black and splotchy on paper stuff. It wasn't like DUEL IN THE DARK, where the game box was practically a mold farm.

I believe that dusty residue is actually powdery mildew [something I'm rather familiar with from buying lots of games at thrift stores and charity shops]. And there was no question that those sheets were extremely damp--either from the printer or from spending too long in a transoceanic shipping container. I'll assume you're right in that it wasn't as bad as DitD, which I gather was brutal [my copy was damp but totally mold-free, so I don't have a comparison]; however, I had substantial swathes of somewhat thick green/black dust on a couple of sheets and certainly a residue on all of 'em. I *don't* want to make it sound like I had a thick layer of chantrelles growing on the stuff, but the coating of powdery mildew on the 3 sheets in the center of the pack *was* thick enough to write my name with a finger-tip.

Since it wasn't a fuzzy wet mold, it wasn't particularly destructive, but it was disappointing if only because I knew it would give folks who are already predisposed to bash on VG a whole hell of a lot of additional ammo to throw 'round. Since, as I mentioned, I'm a thrift-store junkie, I certainly didn't have any problem cleaning the boards up--I just wish I didn't have to do it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds