October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFGs GW reprints

More
11 Sep 2008 15:18 #11171 by Mr. White
FFGs GW reprints was created by Mr. White
I have the new FoD, and am thinking about upgrading to the new Warrior Knights and Talisman when the version with minis comes out.

Though I don't get to play the old WK as much as I'd like, I hear the new version is streamlined with some euro-styled mechanics. Not a bad thing for my group. So, I'm wondering if it plays smoother/faster with the hopes of getting *a* version of the game to the table. Also, what's the deal with the expansion?
(thanks for the Carver interview, btw)

Talisman....I have a love/hate relationship with it. I always love the idea of playing it, but tire of it around the 2 hour mark. For some reason though, that little Reaper expansion has me excited. Looks like FFG is blazing their own path with the expansions which is a good thing, IMO. Also, I hear that there's some new end-game of blasting all the players with the crown of command. I don't recall that in 3rd edition (the only one I had).

Any thoughts on these reprints?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2008 16:01 #11178 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
Yeah the ending of Talisman is now apparently in line with older versions With fourth ed, there is no dragon king, or rather the players become like the dragon king but they can slowly drain the life from everyone else not on the Crown. It's still Talisman, so it is still a really long game.

More
11 Sep 2008 18:20 #11189 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
I too am waiting for the FFG reprint of Talisman. I played 2nd Ed. Talisman a lot when I was younger and have always regretted selling it on eBay. I nearly bought the Black Industries 4th Ed. reprint earlier this year but fortunately discovered that FFG had acquired the rights before parting with my hard-earned cash. Now I'm really excited to see what FFG will do with it. Based on some of the other reprints, I'm fairly optimistic and can't wait to get my hands on it. Talisman with minis.....drool

More
11 Sep 2008 22:30 #11209 by BigLizard
Replied by BigLizard on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
I came close to buying the Black Industries version, too. But I want a version that's right. And if FFG can add some cool expansions, so much the better.

More
11 Sep 2008 23:21 #11212 by ozjesting
Replied by ozjesting on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
I have the "new" Warrior Knights and expansion...I think the base game is awesome! But having never played the original I have no comparison for you sorry. (and I am yet to even look at the expansion as it is a tough game to get my players up to speed on just yet)

As to Talisman...4th ed is my first go with it. I can see the arguments against for adults...but as I play it mostly 2 player with my 6yr old son...it ROCKS! It is quick, easy, and a great game primer for a variety of concepts. I am looking forward to the new version as well...but truthfully, if it is "big people" day (as the boy calls it) I think Prophecy is more involving. But that said, I think the likely problem with Talisman in general (with big people) is too much thinking! It really is simply a move there, roll dice, cheer/groan, grab a drink. If you "work at it" it really falls flat. But with quick turns and dice lovers it should be acceptable.

More
12 Sep 2008 03:29 #11225 by schlupp
Replied by schlupp on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
Speaking of Talisman: has anyone an idea, whether you can use the old expansions with the new game (or new expansions with the old game)? I'm thinking of City, Dungeon, Timescape and Dragons. I've forever mixed German base game and English expansions anyway and don't mind the different shades of green on the back of the cards. And if 4th is really more or less the same game as 2nd, it shouldn't be a problem to mix old and new stuff, no?

More
12 Sep 2008 10:23 - 12 Sep 2008 10:26 #11232 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
The cards in 4th are different shaped than 2nd and glossy, but I have played 4th edition with the dungeon expansion. I made some 'dungeon door' cards on cardstock and covered them with clear contact paper and stuck them (with some other cards I printed off from Talisman Island) into the adventure deck.

The old 2nd Dungeon cards don't mix with the new cards so they are fine.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2008 10:26 by Aarontu.

More
12 Sep 2008 14:31 #11246 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
I think the FFG Warrior Knights is a good game and the expansion adds a bit more to warfare. The hidden orders provide an interesting mechanic to prevent downtime, produce intrigue in when your actions happen compared to your opponents, and provide a slightly random (but still allowing you a chance to influence when) trigger for the three phases.

But I also enjoyed playing the original GW edition in its traditional conflict ruleset.

More
12 Sep 2008 20:35 #11258 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:FFGs GW reprints
I'd go with Prophecy rather than Talisman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds