October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Talisman

More
15 Sep 2008 10:39 - 15 Sep 2008 10:40 #11321 by ChristopherMD
Aarontu wrote:
Chaotic, crazy, fantasy-themed, random insanity! May not be perfectly balanced, but it's a bunch of silly adventuring fun. This new edition looks really nice, with the cool gold coins, awesome board and card art, and little plastic pieces for stats (they aren't very readable, so I'm just using all of them for '1'). Great for casual gamers who like fantasy stuff (though it can run kind of long if you don't use any time-saving variants).

The 4th edition is nearly identical to the 2nd edition in gameplay, which isn't a bad thing. It's not mentally taxing, doesn't have downtime, is heavy on theme, feels like an adventure, and is an endless source of dramatic situations that can cause feelings in players all over the emotional spectrum.

The old expansions were good (for the most part). The extra card expansions and the dungeon were great for variety. The city and timescape kind of took away from the cutthroatness and player interaction, which I didn't like.

At first glance, there doesn't seem to be much choice or opportunity for strategy (just roll a die, move that many, draw a card and do what it says), but there's a bit more decision making than people give it credit for. You feel like you are both choosing your own adventure and simply going along with the story. Still, there isn't *a lot* of strategy here, and this is a nice game to play when you want some light fun after a long day, or when you're with a bunch of friends and want to play something light, fun, thematic, and cutthroat.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 10:40 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2008 09:51 #11399 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman
I'm very much looking forward to the FFG release of the new edition and upgrade pack. From the photo of the upgrade pack, it looks like they added something to the game called "fate tokens" and another stat to character cards (possibly 'fate'?). I wonder how it's going to change things.

More
16 Sep 2008 10:33 #11406 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman
I think the upgrade pack looks pretty awesome. I've already arranged a trade for a reasonably priced copy of Talisman 4th edition and I'll likely take the upgrade plunge. There may be better adventure games on the market today, but somehow it doesn't feel "right" not owning a proper copy of Talisman. A lot of games today wouldn't exist without it.

More
16 Sep 2008 11:03 #11409 by Stephen Avery
I have second and 4th edition but somehow Prophecy always seems to trump Talisman. Talisman has got the nostalgia thing and nothing is better than chanting "TOAD,TOAD,TOAD" and then having the player roll a 1. but the gameplay is pretty basic and can grind horribly. The skill system and balancing cards make Prophecy make it what Talisman *Should* be. I'm afriad to admit that I have have new master now and his name is

PROPHECY

Steve"prophet"Avery

More
16 Sep 2008 15:01 #11427 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman
I have whatever version came out about 6 months ago (or so), is this upgrade pack going to make it so that it will be compatible with new FFG editions or will I have to buy another copy of the game?

Anyways, I like this one although the end game is a bit longish for what it is. That part seems to grind especially if you are one of the poor saps that has no chance of catching up.

More
16 Sep 2008 15:42 - 16 Sep 2008 15:43 #11429 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman
mikoyan wrote:

I have whatever version came out about 6 months ago (or so), is this upgrade pack going to make it so that it will be compatible with new FFG editions or will I have to buy another copy of the game?

Anyways, I like this one although the end game is a bit longish for what it is. That part seems to grind especially if you are one of the poor saps that has no chance of catching up.

Yes, the purpose of the upgrade kit is to make it compatible with the new FFG edition. From what I've heard, the upgrade kit replaces everything except the board, the tokens and the dice. It includes:

Revised Rules

All the cards (104 Adventure Cards, 24 spell cards, 28 purchase cards, 4 talisman cards, 4 alignment cards, 4 toad cards)

New Character boards (14)

Plastic Minis (14 characters, 4 toads)

Fate Tokens (FFG new twist. Characters have a fate stat and can spend their fate tokens to re-roll dice, or something like that)

I can't remember, but I think the upgrade kit is supposed to cost about $30.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 15:43 by ubarose.

More
16 Sep 2008 18:28 #11439 by Spinrad
Replied by Spinrad on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman
The solicitation that I saw for it in Previews/Game Trade listed it @ $19.95. However, people who have dealt with Diamond/Alliance in the past will probably agree that the solicited price isn't always the final price.

More
16 Sep 2008 20:30 - 17 Sep 2008 10:56 #11446 by ubarose
Spinrad wrote:

The solicitation that I saw for it in Previews/Game Trade listed it @ $19.95. However, people who have dealt with Diamond/Alliance in the past will probably agree that the solicited price isn't always the final price.

You probably have more accurate information than I do. I'm home now so I can get at all my stuff. (Stupid work blocks me out of one of my e-mail accounts.) I have a note from a friend who gave me the inexact price for the upgrade of "around half the price of the game."
Last edit: 17 Sep 2008 10:56 by ubarose.

More
16 Sep 2008 20:32 #11447 by ubarose
One of my Talisman buddies was kind enough to scan a copy of our Talisman 2nd edition house rules, in all their "dot matrix glory." I've attached a pdf of them for your edification and amusement. The X__________________ s at the bottom was for each of us to sign in agreement. A large portion of them are for that mess called "The City" expansion. Eventually, judged the city unredeemable and just stopped using it.

Attachment Talisman.pdf not found

Attachments:

More
16 Sep 2008 22:02 - 16 Sep 2008 22:02 #11456 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Talisman

That mess called "The City"

Haha, yeah. I never liked the city. Cool idea, having a city that's more than just a different version of the village space. It just didn't turn out very well.

The only house rule I play with in 4th edition is that you can choose to end your movement on the city or village when passing over them, but ONLY if you are getting healed at the doctor, buying stuff at the blacksmith, or seeing the mystic because you have the hag. Almost all of the frustration caused by the "roll-n-move" part of the game is because someone wants to heal, buy something at the village, or get rid of the hag, and this variant alleviates un-fun frustration without affecting the rest of the game. It's actually pretty rarely used at all.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 22:02 by Aarontu.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds