October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Fortress America

More
21 Sep 2008 18:56 #11651 by GROGnads
Fortress America was created by GROGnads

B) Why NOT begin with this here? I've had the distinct pleasure of being able to PLAY this with quite a few folks, and even in a *PbEm*-(Play by Email means) format of my own devising, while from the majority of those encounters, then depending on anyone present, it'll be proclaimed that ONE 'side' or the other, had the "advantage" from someone's or another's 'perspective'. It really does affect many's opinion about this then, as they'll either outright refuse to engage within it yet again, or they won't 'take' a particular "Force". For myself, then I'm in the 'camp' of NOT being able to Win very often with the USA, and that is mainly attributable to- guess what? -that's right! POOR "dice rollings"! Such is usually the "fait accompli", as many another can attest as well, since we'll be relying upon having enough "Battles" succeeding in order to KEEP the good ole USA from being eked out with a "LOSE". It will probably be with some FINAL Combat 'round' for a City, where that just HAS to 'be' garnered or else this won't be kept ongoing, and those of you that are all too familiar with this outcome, KNOW just what I mean! Of course it'll frustrate anyone if this happens too often, yet it won't discourage myself from trying with them USA once again

What can you do? Considering that ONLY the initial "Set Up" is anything in which you can have some reasonable expectations on what you'll be pitted against to begin with, and that assumes some 'traditional' placements on this as well, then just about ALL that one can presume is to hope for the best! Not too encouraging, I know, while I have provided some BASIC 'strategem' for either of the 2 sides with these here:

USA: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/288419

Invaders: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/289046

If you'd like to, then you could even explore some of their *Options* of "Balancing Factors" on Page 21 Section (4), when you're perhaps teaching this to a completely inexperienced Player, so as NOT to discourage these with some overwhelming 'whuppin'! with their very 1st GAME! Just insist on being the USA for any first GAME, as the Invaders do have an initial advantage while don't be afraid to provide 'Placements' advice either, as that can be quite the daunting TASK for anyone unfamiliar with it all too. Now, for those of YOU here that wish to take this to yet another LEVEL, then have you considered with that "Fortress America Expansion Pack #1" ?

"F A E P #1" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13119

Yeah, yeah, it may be even more RARE about this than even that "5th Column" kind, but I've been willing to enable any others on doing this with what 'Files' that I have available for it, and so you're welcome to inquire upon this, to create your OWN from those. Here's even a method by which you could provide your GAME with some additional playing pieces:

"F A E P #1" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164018

Were I to re-locate the "little bag full of little planes", of which I used these to provide some of the 'bits', then I might be persuaded to part with entire SETs of 'Bombers' for a few that I've created. The majority of those are somewhat more easily obtained with the likes of them "Table Tactics" kind, or whatever it is that looks appropriate. In fact, they even have some of which could become incorporated within a NEW & 'improved' version, were someone such as myself, or any others, would care to devise! Look them over closely and 'see' if you are capable with providing a truly exotic *spin* with any then eh?
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2008 19:14 #11653 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Fortress America
Good shit, GROGS. Hope you stick around to provide more of the same.

More
21 Sep 2008 19:31 #11655 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Fortress America
Still fills me with shame I have never played this game :(

More
21 Sep 2008 19:36 #11656 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Fortress America
Mr Skeletor wrote:

You and me both. I've owned it for over a year and haven't played once.

More
21 Sep 2008 20:12 #11659 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re:Fortress America
Yeah. You belong here sir.

Thanks for the review.

More
21 Sep 2008 21:15 #11665 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Fortress America
Thanks for the review!

This has always seemed like a way cool game that, sadly, I never had the opportunity to play.

More
22 Sep 2008 00:24 #11675 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Fortress America
Goddammit, 'nads. I always knew there was interesting things being said in all YOUR 4matted cowpies, but it makes reading it a fucking job.

Hey, here's me flipping you two fat birds: «^» (°_°) «^»

HOW'S THEM ORANGES?

See what I did there?

More
22 Sep 2008 08:56 #11684 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Fortress America
It's a very good game. At least from my one play, which was pbem with the illustrious GROGnads himself! I'd definitley like to pick up my own copy one day. Glad to see GROGnads sharing his gaming knowledge over here on Fortress Ameritrash!

More
22 Sep 2008 17:12 #11692 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Fortress America
Harkonnen13 wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

You and me both. I've owned it for over a year and haven't played once.

Stop upsetting Frank and others ! :lol:

I was in the same situation until last month, finally got a copy for a decent price shipped over from the US last year but it took me a good 12mths to get it on the table. Hopefully I will get another play or two this year at my little club.

Groggy - should the invaders be able to win if the game goes on for long enough ? ... that seems to be my experience from my huge total of plays - 2 ! :woohoo:
If so - then would a turn or time limit be a fair variant with competent players ?
Or does the fact that the invaders run out of units act as the time balancer itself ? ... my only thought on that is that the 18 city victory condition should be obtainable by the invaders before attrition turns the tide against them.

More
22 Sep 2008 19:11 #11693 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Fortress America
I'm amazed at the number who haven't played this. It truly is this sites' darkest hour!

Neither side has the advantage, a turn or time limit would be pointless, and the invader won't run out of units. Why? Because the balance is more subtle than that. I've played it many times over the years and the game usually ends pretty much around the same turn. It's not always when the last city is taken, but sometimes a little before that. There's a turning point when you 'just know' that the game'll go to America or the invaders. And it's that balancing point that impresses the hell out of me, because it's surprisingly consistent. I think Fortress America is one of the most finely tuned games that I've ever come across. Now I know this is purely subjective perception, and no doubt helped by playing it with equally skillful players.

Another excellent aspect of the design is how dramatically different the playing styles of East and West have to be (with poor old South being middle of the road). The only part I don't like is the last turn scrabble for points between the invaders; everyone I've played with in the past simply ignores this. Given all the frothing about Shadows over Camelot as the innovative cooperative game, it's nice to know that Fortress America did it two decades beforehand.

More
22 Sep 2008 22:30 #11705 by GROGnads
Replied by GROGnads on topic Re:Fortress America
Southernman wrote:

Groggy - should the invaders be able to win if the game goes on for long enough ? ... that seems to be my experience from my huge total of plays - 2 ! :woohoo:
If so - then would a turn or time limit be a fair variant with competent players ?
Or does the fact that the invaders run out of units act as the time balancer itself ? ... my only thought on that is that the 18 city victory condition should be obtainable by the invaders before attrition turns the tide against them.

;) From my own experiences with the length for any, then 8 to 10 Turns is around the MAX that the Invaders can LAST to try and WIN, before the USA can amass enough replacements to overwhelm them, where it ENDS about then. What greatly affects everything, and that is where your LOSSES are concerned, while especially WHAT kinds they were. This is very true were ONE or more of the Invaders then had been losng too many too soon of their BEST 'ones', and then having to contend with better equipped USA types facing against them.

If you WANT to give the USA a "break", then use the '5 Units Per Turn Reinforcements' schedule for the Invaders. Other means are further detailed on Page 21 Section (4), if you feel those are required regarding an opponent's capabilities.

I've taught a few others with this- you're welcome "Dan Daly", or another- and whilst freely dispensing 'advice' on their dispositions when it warranted this. Now, despite THAT, then they've managed to go "on" and WIN! I have as of yet to witness the USA pull out a WIN from any of those "Games" so far, yet we'll hold out HOPE on that someday. Ours were averaging around 7 Turns on how long these consisted with, and even that is fairly quick for the Invaders, since most take a few MORE to completely decide if it were obvious just which 'side' should eventually prevail. I'd like to point out that there is an online Group where you can then PLAY this in a "real time" setting. The LINK is within the BGG entry under this "Game" itself, and now here as well: http://members.aol.com/evilhedpro/fa/fapbem.htm

One last enjoinder, and that were to look over the other VARIANT materials, such as this here: BGG LINK http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/169149 and TRY out anything for those, to see how much more different that'll transpire with.
:cheer:

More
23 Sep 2008 01:00 #11712 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Fortress America
No offense dude, but you have way too many italicized, all caps, quotation marks and colored text to read your review.

More
23 Sep 2008 01:22 #11715 by GROGnads
metalface13 wrote:

No offense dude, but you have way too many italicized, all caps, quotation marks and colored text to read your review.

:) Should I include 'braille' NEXT time? How about 'scratch & sniff'? "cover yer beer, cover yer popcorn!"
"blinders ON!"
B)

More
23 Sep 2008 02:51 #11717 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re:Fortress America
metalface13 wrote:

I'm struggling a bit with Grog's 'shtick' as well. But I'm also finding it strangely compelling. You know, if I can make it to the end of one of these posts with 90% comprehension, I feel like I've achieved something for the day. :side:

I think we all need a 'shtick'. Whether vaunted or vilified, you won't be forgotten. ;)

Are you here for good Grog? Or are you just on holiday from that other site?

More
23 Sep 2008 04:44 #11722 by GROGnads

Death and Taxis wrote:I'm struggling a bit with Grog's 'shtick' as well. But I'm also finding it strangely compelling. You know, if I can make it to the end of one of these posts with 90% comprehension, I feel like I've achieved something for the day. :side:

I think we all need a 'shtick'. Whether vaunted or vilified, you won't be forgotten. ;)

Are you here for good Grog? Or are you just on holiday from that other site?

;) Have a good look around and then decide, now, should I "hunt down" some of these others around here about WHATEVAH!?
:side:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds