October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Fortress America

More
23 Sep 2008 06:23 #11727 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Fortress America
Grog-speak actually isn't that hard, just read the ENTIRE sentence and then decipher it, rather than decipher it as you go which you do normally. This is because he puts the subject after the point, bloats the sentence and/or uses word substitution (so he will use a word with the same meaning but incorrect according to the sentence structure.)

If you tackle it 1 sentence, or part sentence at a time it's actually quite easy. Pay attention to the words in CAPITAL.

So:

From my own experiences with the length for any, then 8 to 10 Turns is around the MAX that the Invaders can LAST to try and WIN, before the USA can amass enough replacements to overwhelm them, where it ENDS about then.

Is really just "The invader normally has around 8 to 10 turns before the USA will overwhelm him with reinforcements."

Easy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2008 08:25 #11731 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Fortress America
GROGnads wrote:
"What greatly affects everything, and that is where your LOSSES are concerned, while especially WHAT kinds they were. This is very true were ONE or more of the Invaders then had been losng too many too soon of their BEST 'ones', and then having to contend with better equipped USA types facing against them."
I've found hitting the planes in the East and the helicopters in the West usually inflicts much pain and anguish on the invaders.

Mr Skeletor wrote:
"Grog-speak actually isn't that hard, just read the ENTIRE sentence and then decipher it, rather than decipher it as you go which you do normally"
Frank's just explained exactly what I do too. Ignore the word level and skim it a sentence at a time.

More
23 Sep 2008 09:36 #11736 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Fortress America
I only played this game once and I seem to remember that I enjoyed it pretty well up until the point the US started to get those damn lasers.

More
23 Sep 2008 14:42 - 23 Sep 2008 14:42 #11764 by SenorOcho
Replied by SenorOcho on topic Re:Fortress America
Aren't we people who have deciphered rules the likes of Magic Realm and Galactic Destiny? GROGnad's posts are pretty easy by comparison.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2008 14:42 by SenorOcho. Reason: '

More
23 Sep 2008 18:39 #11788 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Fortress America
Wait... this game has Lazers?!?!

More
23 Sep 2008 20:21 #11799 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Fortress America
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Better. They are "Space Lasers".

-Will

More
23 Sep 2008 22:34 #11806 by GROGnads
Replied by GROGnads on topic Re:Fortress America
Mr Skeletor wrote:

B) "Zee 'goggles'! zhey do SUMTHIN!"

Here we have some 'items' that I had been working on with a partial explanation about what these entail. Not too shabby for being 'scans' eh? I'd even provided an 'article' about them "FUTURISTIC Fighter Ineterceptors" with this here:

:side:

More
24 Sep 2008 07:47 - 24 Sep 2008 08:01 #11818 by Notahandle
Jeez, GROGs, you're such a tease! (Yes, I've been unsuccessfully trying to track down the FA expansion pack for what seems forever. Do I need to learn a password/secret handshake/silly walk/whatever?)
Last edit: 24 Sep 2008 08:01 by Notahandle.

More
24 Sep 2008 17:04 #11844 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Fortress America
Adrian - you'll have to arrive for the next time I can get my copy out.

More
24 Sep 2008 20:31 #11861 by GROGnads
Replied by GROGnads on topic Re:Fortress America
Notahandle wrote:

Jeez, GROGs, you're such a tease! (Yes, I've been unsuccessfully trying to track down the FA expansion pack for what seems forever. Do I need to learn a password/secret handshake/silly walk/whatever?)

:) Actually, if anyone wanted the 'Files' for this, then send me a "Geek Mail" with an email provider that can manage BIG `uns! I'll have to check again on what kind of image that I have for the 'Chart', as bitmap or some other seemed to become HUGE types due to it all. I do have to admit that those retain their clarity much better than JPEG or JPG and the like, as even when I'm working on something and SAVE that, then it immediately begins to turn out 'blurry'-looking. So what would you guys THINK if I offered some of these 'bits' SETs here on it, and for REAL $$$ USD? I'd even be willing to SPLIT a good portion with the proceeds from anything, for a 'contribution' towards HERE after it all were said and done as well. What would also be nice is were someone to 'post' about that "5th Column" kind, and hopefully from having actually used that some. I could initially OFFER the "FUTURISTIC Fighter Ineterceptors" on this, as that OTHER 'one' contains too many parts for which to AMASS more than a decent SET of those at one time. The biggest obstacle is obtaining some appropriate "Infantry" types to depict what you'll require with 2 MORE kinds for EACH of the 4 Players, and enough for these with every ONE of them that needs that. That means 4 "colors" in the proper 'pose', or depicting for 'Paratroopers' and 'Assault' "Infantry", while these ought to reflect a MODERN look and feel also. I've got some WW-2 "Bazooka" guys and they could be altered to LOOK as if these are toting a more contemporary 'weaponry', such as some RPG sort. THEN, I would just need to PAINT these to closely match the actual 'bits', as right now then they are only in DARK & very LIGHT Green. Yeah, LOTS of "fun" for ALL but ONE-ME!
;)

More
25 Sep 2008 09:16 - 25 Sep 2008 09:36 #11869 by Notahandle
I'm less keen on painted FA expansion packs. I'd've bought some of the xeno extra pieces sets, back when they were still available, except they were the wrong colours.

Regarding the charts, try saving the JPGs with compression at 100%, which actually means save 100% of the image, i.e. don't discard any data. PDFs would work; TIFFs are huge.

As for finding appropriate figures, I wonder whether the old TSR Buck Rogers might have the correct colours? You'd get futuristic fighters, albeit weird looking ones!

Oh, and Tom, I'm still thinking Swindon is a pain to get to just for an evening. But a day would be good as it shifts the
traveling : playing proportions nicely.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2008 09:36 by Notahandle.

More
25 Sep 2008 10:27 #11871 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:Fortress America
I played this game ages ago. It was the third in the triumvirate of Axis and Allies, Shogun and Fortress America that my DnD buddy brought over and pretty much set me on the course I am on. I have a lot of fond memories of the Gamemaster series. My favorite was Shogun.

Great article Grogs. I had no idea that there even was an expansion pack. Interesting. Anyhoo, glad to see you out and about Grogs :)
Cheers,
Van

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds