October 09, 2023
2495 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Ca$h 'n Gun$

More
22 Sep 2008 14:52 #11690 by ChristopherMD
Shellhead wrote:
At first, I thought that Ca$h 'n Gun$ was an incredible game. Everybody was laughing and having fun, and I won the first game without getting shot even once.

Since then, I have noticed many flaws in the game. The components are too cartoonish-looking. The gameplay is extremely limited: point, laugh, resolve action. There is very little strategy. The cop scenario is almost completely impossible for the cop to win. And the advanced powers cards strive for language independence but instead cause confusion. And ever since my huge victory in that first game, all of those players pick on me, so I haven't come even remotely close to winning since then. For all these reasons, I am gradually losing interest in Ca$h 'n Gun$. By this time next year, I will probably sell it or trade it away.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 15:45 #11691 by Michael Barnes
If you play CA$H N' GUN$ to play a game, then you're already in the wrong place. If you play to launch salvos of extremely vulgar language and crude suggestions at your friends then stick around. Not much beats playing C&G with a table full of rowdy gamers armed with Airsoft pistols and foul mouths.

That being said, I think there's a lot more game there than people give it credit. It's almost purely social, the mechanics are almost totally secondary to the interaction. It's all about talking and observing and the mechanics simply provide a background for that.

That's not true about the cop being unable to win. I've seen cops win by killing everybody (very, very difficult to pull off- you've really got to play everybody off of each other and it helps to have the grenade or the two gun thing) and I've seen them call the backup. The cop is the most interesting part of the game because that player has to be completely on their toes and be in the right splits at the right time and to not flip that phone card in small splits. If a player flips the card in a 2-3 person split, you've got an idiot cop. The cop is also interesting because it'll make you sweat...if you're it and they start to figure you out, it's BAD news. Smart cops know how to manipulate information and even set up other players to take the heat of suspicion.

As for not being able to win due to the metagame...well, I'm automatically the default cop at the start of every game regardless of the truth. So I've just had to learn to work around that.

Great game. I think it was played more than any other game ever in the history of AGF. I had _everybody_ that walked through the door playing it and it was before the US version came out. I would have sold 100 copies of it back then.

Expansion sucks. Totally mucks up the game with stupid mechanics.

More
22 Sep 2008 20:20 #11694 by Aarontu
I love this game. It's so simple, but so cool and crazy and fun. It may not be the perfect strategy game, but I just don't care; I like it because it's tons of fun. For a party game, though, it has a surprising amount of game.

I don't have any interest in the expansion, though. I'm just not excited about the idea of teams. We threw in extra guns and cards once and it worked just fine (though if I were to do it again, I'd throw in some extra Monopoly money or something, too).

More
22 Sep 2008 21:38 #11699 by Stephen Avery
Totally. This game rocks. As for MB being the default cop - Bullshit. I automatically get shot at just for playing and rarely survive a game. Amongst strangers I was able to pull off a cop win but getting dealt he cop card automatically gives you that sinking "Oh Shit" feeling. I have had some very memorable moments playing this super fluffy super fun game.

Steve"I'm not the Cop"Avery

More
22 Sep 2008 22:03 #11702 by Michael Barnes
Yep- three bullets in Avery up front, no questions asked, no discussion necessary. That may as well be listed as procedure in the rulebook in these parts.

More
22 Sep 2008 22:06 #11703 by Stephen Avery
You're going down Barnes.

More
22 Sep 2008 22:16 #11704 by Michael Barnes
That's fine, it only proves that you're the cop.

More
25 Sep 2008 13:56 #11884 by Ken B.
All I can add is that this game is stupid fun.

More
27 Sep 2008 22:48 - 27 Sep 2008 22:49 #11934 by Merkles
While I think it would work great with foul mouthed adults, it does work with kids, too! A blast to play with guests and family--doesn't outstay its welcome--and, as Barnes noted, it is an experience!

PS

Is it worth it getting the expansion (if not nec. for most people)?
Last edit: 27 Sep 2008 22:49 by Merkles.

More
27 Sep 2008 23:10 #11938 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Ca$h 'n Gun$
Good game, especially if taken in small doses.

More
28 Sep 2008 16:59 #11957 by Aarontu
Merkles wrote:

While I think it would work great with foul mouthed adults, it does work with kids, too! A blast to play with guests and family--doesn't outstay its welcome--and, as Barnes noted, it is an experience!

I agree, it's great with anyone. It's great fun just yelling at someone to put down that gun, or telling to go ahead and stay in; you hate to waste bang! cards. B)

More
28 Sep 2008 23:15 #11981 by Shellhead
The last time I played, one of the women in our group told me why I was always getting shot... I look like a cop. And I've heard that before, from a variety of people. I think this is the only picture of me posted anywhere on the internet right now:

p1.hotornot.com/pics/HQ/H8/NS/KM/NZEROESVCWTD.jpg

Yeah, cop. So apparently even when we're playing a non-cop scenario for CnG, I get shot because I look like a cop.

But I have to admit that CnG is still great fun with drunk gamers and first-time players. But if I'm just playing boardgames with the usual suspects, I would rather play something else.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds