October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

"rebooting" of recent games?

More
16 Apr 2012 19:34 #123025 by lfisher
Thunderstone Advance
GoSu2
and now Puzzle Strike 3rd edition will go on kickstarter tomorrow.

Any other recent still in print games getting this type of "reboot" treatment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2012 19:37 #123027 by OldHippy
Puzzle Strike.. shit! What was wrong with it that their expansion "fix" can't settle and they need to make a whole new one? Jesus I'm not buying that, though I'm still tempted to get that stupid fix if only for the extra action chip.

Is Decent new enough to qualify?

More
16 Apr 2012 19:41 #123028 by lfisher
Puzzle Strike:
This 3rd Edition of the game has many changes including:

Panic Time to prevent games from going too long
A 3-player and 4-player mode with no player elimination and that allows crashing your gems to whoever you want
A 2v2 Team Battle Mode
A Custom Clockwork mode to draft your own character
Puzzle chips and character chips updated to ensure healthy competitive play in tournaments
New components: game boards and screens(?)

Descent, hmm good question. I guess it was originally from 2005, so I see this as more a TI3 kind of iteration, which doesn't seem quite as egregious necessarily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
16 Apr 2012 19:52 #123033 by san il defanso
New version of Puzzle Strike can bite me. I've already shelled out plenty of money for that game, and I really like it. At some point your game needs to just be finished. If the tournament scene keeps finding ways to break it, maybe it shouldn't focus on tournament scenes in the first place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
16 Apr 2012 20:32 #123042 by Michael Barnes
Is there really a Puzzle Strike "tournament scene"? And I don't mean ten people playing at Origins or whatever.

But yeah, hell no on that.

As for reboots...they used to call them "2nd editions". Not really anything new.

The Thunderstone thing was actually a good idea, but I do think they should have done it earlier- like around the time Dragonspire released. There was some sprawl going on already at that point, and giving players a second big-box entry point was reasonable. But since they waited until after Dragonspire, there's two old entry points and one new one. Sure, it's all compatible, but still...new is new.

More
16 Apr 2012 21:09 #123046 by lfisher
Some good points. I just question how soon is too soon, or are companies really just trying to get things too fast to market.

I agree about Thunderstone (and I just bought the new one).

Puzzle Strike already had two editions so that seems a bit much.

GoSu finally just got the expansion out, so we'll see how they handle this one.

More
16 Apr 2012 21:19 #123048 by SuperflyPete
Uh, Summoner Wars Master Set?

More
16 Apr 2012 21:28 #123053 by san il defanso
But Pete, the Master set actually gave plenty of good value for everyone. It had six new races, and that alone would have cost $60 full retail if they'd been packaged seperately. And for those of us who never got on the premium board train, it was an even better deal.

The do-over of Puzzle Strike will apparently require a new set entirely, just minorly tweaked from what's already out. I wouldn't mind it as another upgrade pack, but buying the whole game again?

I've upgraded only a couple of times myself. Once was Settlers of Catan, but that was so that I could get the expansions. I had 5 long years to get those too, so that was on me. And I also upgraded my Twilight Struggle, but I actually bought the old crappy edition when the deluxe edition was already available. So again, that was on me.

At least Twilight Struggle gave people the upgrade options as an a la carte kind of model. And both were already established games. But Puzzle Strike JUST got the upgrade pack six months ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lfisher

More
16 Apr 2012 21:28 #123054 by lfisher

SuperflyTNT wrote: Uh, Summoner Wars Master Set?

That was all new stuff, and compatable, and presumably planned. It didn't change any rules or anything, didn't replace anything.

More
17 Apr 2012 00:39 #123064 by QPCloudy
I'm interested in "original" Gosu, but after reading the description of the "updated" version, I definitely would not go for that one. I dunno, no text on the cards just does not seem right to me. I'm no idiot, but I'm not the kind of guy who can memorize every ability based on the picture on the cards like some Magic players I know.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds