October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

"rebooting" of recent games?

More
17 Apr 2012 21:50 #123151 by clockwirk
summoner wars is the only game where the expansions came out before the actual game did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, wice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 23:16 #123156 by lfisher
If Summoner Wars is a "reboot" in this case, then Colby is doing it right (ie not screwing early adopters).

None of the stuff you got before is obsolete. In the worst case you have extra dice and board.

Now we've got Sentinels of the Multiverse "Enhanced Edition"
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787899968/...lics-and-en?ref=live

More
17 Apr 2012 23:29 - 17 Apr 2012 23:33 #123157 by SuperflyPete
"None of the stuff you got before is obsolete. In the worst case you have extra dice and board."

Which is a bonus since it allows 4-player action, which was part of the game plan to begin with, let alone all of the old stuff fitting perfectly in the new box.

"summoner wars is the only game where the expansions came out before the actual game did."

Funny you should say that. Egg Shen and I were just commenting to one another (apparently) that Dungeon Twister: Prison is a reboot, and it had expansions come out before the reboot did.

I sure wish that those plonkers at Stronghold will get Merchant of Venus done...I will NOT buy an FFG reprint. I've grown to have a lot of disrespect for CP based on his lack of public etiquette, let alone that they seem to want to "fix" games that aren't broken when they reprint them. Can't wait to see how badly they've violated Fortress America.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 23:33 by SuperflyPete.

More
18 Apr 2012 04:41 #123168 by QPCloudy
Either way, you assholes have sold me on Summoner Wars, between this thread and the "gimme new game suggestions" thread. Thanks a lot. Oh, and my wife thanks you as well. Dicks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

More
18 Apr 2012 08:11 #123170 by Mr Skeletor
Based on Pete's definition, summoner wars has not been rebooted.
It's simply a new jumping on point. But then everything released prior to the starter set was a possible jumping on point anyway.

More
18 Apr 2012 11:29 #123176 by SuperflyPete
That's kind of the cool thing about how Colby did it. You could've been an early adopter or you could've gotten on the bandwagon with the super-duper deluxe set. I'd argue it's pretty hard to get back to the starters, though...those things are Ebaying for 75$.

Reboot /= Reprint, I guess is what I was saying.

More
18 Apr 2012 13:38 #123188 by san il defanso

SuperflyTNT wrote: That's kind of the cool thing about how Colby did it. You could've been an early adopter or you could've gotten on the bandwagon with the super-duper deluxe set. I'd argue it's pretty hard to get back to the starters, though...those things are Ebaying for 75$.

Reboot /= Reprint, I guess is what I was saying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the starter sets are getting reprinted. The box size has changed, and the rulebooks have a couple of kinks ironed out from the original release. Otherwise the same.

Summoner Wars also didn't bring forward all these rule changes to make the game more balanced or whatever. That probably speaks to the great job Colby did up front. My problems with the Thunderstone and Puzzle Strike reboots is that I didn't really think the games needed them in the first place. Usually a game will sit around for a few years before it gets revamped, but both of those were done in just a couple of years, and after widespread acceptance in their current form.

In the case of Thunderstone, I'm not sure why precipitated the change after the original was such a big hit. The interface definitely needed to be cleaned up, but that was about it.

More
18 Apr 2012 13:44 #123190 by SuperflyPete
I don't know if they are or not. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge Summoner Wars fan anymore. After the Fallen Kingdom I was all SW'ed out.

It's not because it's a bad design, quite the opposite. I just truly, honestly SUCK at the game. My kid beats the shit out of me on the regular, and Mr. Moto wanted it, so I gave all my shit to him. I regret it since my kid really loved the game, but our record was like 50:3 as far as a win-loss ratio, and both my wife and I were sick of getting our asses handed to us by our eldest. Smug little shit, too. :)

Colby and I have an inside joke...we were talking about a convention and I offered up my kid as a demo girl since she knows every card inside and out..he said something to the tune of "yeah, see, nobody will buy a game at a convention when they get beat by a 8 year old at the demo."

I still giggle a little thinking about overgrown crybabies getting shitty with my kid at a demo table as she cockpunches them with the Kingdom or the Dwarves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
18 Apr 2012 14:11 #123196 by wice

SuperflyTNT wrote: I just truly, honestly SUCK at the game. My kid beats the shit out of me on the regular, and Mr. Moto wanted it, so I gave all my shit to him. I regret it since my kid really loved the game, but our record was like 50:3 as far as a win-loss ratio, and both my wife and I were sick of getting our asses handed to us by our eldest. Smug little shit, too. :)

And the "Parent of the Year" award goes to...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

More
18 Apr 2012 14:48 #123203 by SuperflyPete
I wasn't going to play it again, and neither was my wife. The kid likes Survive! and Ascending Empires better anyhow, so she was OK with my divesting myself of Summoner Wars.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds