October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

How many unplayed games do you own?

More
15 Oct 2008 16:11 - 15 Oct 2008 16:11 #12960 by Shellhead
At this moment, how many games do you own that you haven't played yet?

How long have you owned these games?

And most importantly, why haven't you played them yet?

I've only got two few games that I haven't played yet: Disk Wars - L5R, and the Illuminati CCG. I picked both games up about seven years ago, when they were on clearance. Both games were collectible but arrived after the peak CCG years, so everybody was too afraid of getting addicted to another collectible game. But when I bought these games on clearance, I bought enough of each that I could just use them like boardgames, with a common pool of resources for everybody to work from. And for Illuminati, I got that all-in-one box set.

Maybe the problem is that collectible games are only half about the game, and half about collecting and designing your deck or army. Some people can think quickly and draft a decent strategy on the fly, but other people want time to really analyze the game. I suppose that I could make some pre-made decks/armies for these two games, but since I haven't played yet, I might not be able to do balanced designs.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2008 16:11 by Shellhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2008 16:33 #12962 by SenorOcho
Under the Shadow of the Dragon - traded for this a few months ago, but later realized that I really don't care for Return of the Heroes. I'd be willing to trade both of these, actually.

More
15 Oct 2008 16:38 #12963 by billyz
Can you believe it's Nexus Ops? I got it last year, in a trade, and it hasn't hit the table yet.

More
15 Oct 2008 16:56 #12964 by Mr. White
Maneuovre - owned less than a week. Hope to play this weekend.

Wreckage - owned for over two years. Having once had all supplements (including those in WD) and nearly every pedestrian mini for Dark future and running in-depth campaigns, I hoped Wreckage would soothe the pain, but I just can't bring myself to play it. DF and MoW are tied at the #1 spot in games I wish I still had.

Marvel Heroes - played a lot over two years ago. Haven't played since. Love the game, just don't have comic fans in my group anymore. I'm not sure if it'll ever get played again, but have a hard time parting with it. Though it's taking up a good chuck of real estate on my shelf.

More
15 Oct 2008 17:17 #12968 by Aarontu
Mwahahaha! - Bought it about a month ago. Just haven't got a chance to play it yet, but it'll be the next new game I play with my wife (or maybe brother).

Turnin' Taxis: Power&Glory, Wits & Wagers, Bang - owned since August. Picked up for cheap from someone who didn't want them anymore. Wits & Wagers looks like a good party game, but I don't really have a desire to play the other two.

Third Reich - This game intimidates even me. Bought it with GG on BGG several months ago.

More
15 Oct 2008 21:42 #12972 by ubarose
Blood Feud in NY. It was on sale a few years back for something like $18, and it had helicopters. Read the rules. Decided we couldn't be bothered. Put it away and keep forgetting that it is there.

We also have some orphan games that we don't know where they came from. A couple may belong to a friend who asked us to store some stuff for him. I think at least one, possibly two, may be KingPut's. A few were left behind by some of the people that used to live here with us. We have Starship Troopers, and some old Dr. Who RPG type game, some starter sets from some old collectible games, Masterpiece, Star Wars Monopoly.

More
15 Oct 2008 21:50 #12973 by Dr. Mabuse
Intrigue (over a year) - my gaming group would never touch this

Risk 2210 (2 and a half years) - ditto

More
15 Oct 2008 21:55 - 15 Oct 2008 21:59 #12974 by Dogmatix
If you're purely counting boxes and ersatz-box ziplocks, about 200 at the moment; but it's the result of a (mostly) wargame buying spree over the last 18 months and basically played "catch-up" on 15 years of game development and expansions [I've become the anti-Euro in my serious suffering from "Cult of Old" syndrome...], many of which will sit for a good long time. E.g., while I've played some ASL and Advanced Tobruk [solo] using the ASL SKs and ATS "starter games," and will continue to work my way into both systems.

That said, when do I expect to punch Code of Bushido [ASL] or the Arnhem master set [ATS]? 'Round about 2012 or so, I suspect. The GBoH games are the same--I pick 'em up as I find 'em cheap or trade for them if a deal is to be had fully expecting them to sit for years [better to pay $25-45 now than $200 in 5 years when I decide I just *have* to have that at-that-point-long-OOP copy of SPQR Deluxe.

Buying copies of We The People [and being unable to find the expansion cards at all] and the 1st ed. Space Hulk stuff at 2007-2008 prices to replace stuff I had on my shelves 15+ years ago but didn't keep was a sobering experience since those games both had fairly sizeable numbers in circulation. Then, conversely, having folks pay me over $500 for the 3 GMT "Army Group Wherever" East Front series games [titles I simply decided I'd never ever get to the table] even though they were only 5-7 years old and hadn't been out of circulation that long was also instructive. :blink: The print runs are so small these days that it doesn't pay to wait on a wargame...

I should also note that part of the driver for hunting out so many wargames in particular is, my soon-to-be-wife is starting to talk about kids and/or a new house. While either is probably 3 years off or so, we're in a hideously expensive market for both of those items, so I'm trying to load up on all the games that I've wanted and that play well solo [e.g. GBoH] or PBEM [Here I Stand], as, I'm quite sure that once those discussions begin in earnest, all "disposable" income will be immediately spoken for.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2008 21:59 by Dogmatix.

More
16 Oct 2008 00:10 #12976 by billyz
ubarose wrote:

We also have some orphan games that we don't know where they came from.

If you consider that copy of Merchant of Venus you recently picked up as part of the aforementioned, I'd be more than happy to lighten your load ;).

More
16 Oct 2008 01:10 #12981 by metalface13
Reef Encounter (going on 2 years): My wife was teaching at a middle school and got some money from a grant and was told to buy classroom things. So she bought Primordial Soup and Reef Encounter for their themes (she teaches science, mainly biology). We like Primordial Soup and she would take it to school from time to time as a reward for the kids to play, but Reef Encounter sits on our shelf to this day, unopened and unplayed. We were intimidated by what we read online about complex rules and it being a deep Euro. We've never felt the urge to play it.

Arena Maximus (almost 3 years?): I ordered a bunch of FFG's silverline games at one of their $5 online sales a couple years back. Just never really got played.

Star Wars Miniatures: Starship Battles (almost 2 years): Got it for X-Mas, but my brother got Marvel Heroes that year, so we played that mostly instead of Star Wars. I heard the rules for Starship Battles are kinda lame.

For Sale (4 months): Unopened. Got it this summer in a local math trade. I've played it before several times at my brother's, but my wife is not a big fan so it hasn't gotten opened yet.

Galactic Emperor (1-2 months): Got this from Barnes, traded him a Wii game. Haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

More
16 Oct 2008 04:08 #12986 by Matt Thrower
This is embarrassing ...

Wiz-War: never played 'cos it's a home-made copy I've printed out but not finished
Borderlands: Ditto
Oh No, There Goes Tokyo: Ditto
King of the Tabletop: Ditto
Rails of Europe: Can't seem to get RRT back to the table again.
Kremlin: Only just got this
Napoleon: I always have trouble getting 2-player titles played
Bootleggers: I read the rules and thought it seemed too much of a mish-mash of different mechanics - it just didn't gel in my head.
Game of Thrones: I bought this as filler on a big order to get a discount, and the fact I've never played it demonstrates why you should never, ever do this.
Sword and Sail: This is a very easy to construct P&P game. I read the rules *after* I'd constructed it and realised it looked like it totally sucked. I should just burn this and forget about it.
Against the Reich: A friend gave me a copy of this for free, but I've been totally daunted by the rules.
Battletech: I found a copy of this in my games collection a couple of months ago. I didn't know I owned it, and I still have no idea how it came to be there.
The Great Khan Game: Another one where I read the rules, went "meh", and put it back into storage.
Hunt the Higgs: The rarest game I own. It was a promotional gimmick for a theoretical physics funding body that I used to work for. It's crap.

More
16 Oct 2008 07:46 #12994 by Schweig!
Too many to count them.

Most of those are oop war games, and you need to buy them (or trade for them) while they're cheap. The price for them only goes up.

I plan to play one or more a month.

More
16 Oct 2008 09:24 #12998 by Mr. Bistro
I've sworn not to buy any games I won't play, but I still have two - Black Ops and Magic Realm. I haven't opened Black Ops because I also happen to have the new retail version of Risk, so I don't see the need to open up the other. Magic Realm I haven't played because it's Magic Realm.

More
16 Oct 2008 09:46 #12999 by mikelawson
Um, I'm not saying. There are way too many.

--Mike L.

More
16 Oct 2008 09:48 #13000 by Stephen Avery
about 75% of my games (about 300) are unplayed because everyone in my group has a insanely large collections. Frank, DanBaden, and MarkZohgby have over 6,000 games between them. Its a great problem to have unless you get bitten by the collector bug through association.

Steve"Ooo- that looks cool. How much is it?"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds