October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Warrior Knights

More
20 Oct 2008 14:18 #13162 by ChristopherMD
Currently no reviews for this game.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 14:42 #13163 by Ken B.
This is one I've simply never tried. I have too many "dudes on a map trying to take areas from each other, mixed with cardplay and/or diplomacy" already.

Purty-lookin' game, though.

More
20 Oct 2008 16:13 #13167 by jeb
Ken B. wrote:

This is one I've simply never tried. I have too many "dudes on a map trying to take areas from each other, mixed with cardplay and/or diplomacy" already.

Purty-lookin' game, though.

That essentially nails my take on this too. It looks nice. As nice as a bunch of the games right here on my shelf.

More
20 Oct 2008 17:37 #13168 by southernman
Own the GW edition - played and enjoyed both editions. The FFG edition has a unique (well, as far as I know) turn mechanism where you place 2 or 3 order cards (depending on the number of players) in three separate piles and then after each pile is shuffled you draw the orders one at a time and the player who owns it plays it. So you know roughly what you are going to do in each of the three phases but not in the exact order and whether your opponents will get to play before you or not.

The FFG edition uses, basically, VPs - there is a pool at the beginning of the game and when it is emptied the game ends, or when someone controls over half the cities - for victory conditions while GW was a straight fight for the majority of cities.

The game is mainly warfare to capture and hold cities but includes hiring troops, taxation, paying your trops otherwise they piss off, an assembly where you vote on the odd law plus titles for nobles and ganging up always occurs. The FFG edition has an expansion which adds a few extras including some technologies which does enhance the game.

I've enjoyed all the games I've played and I could just about describe it as a shorter version (3-4hrs) of TI3 based in feudal europe - I'm sure most of you guys would love it.

More
20 Oct 2008 18:08 #13171 by Mr Skeletor
The FFG edition is vastly under rated. Fucking awsome game that needs at least one game under your belt to begin shining.

My only problem with it is that my set has been half painted for over a year now, so I havn't been able to play it.

More
20 Oct 2008 19:17 #13175 by SenorOcho
The problem with the FFG edition's VP pool is that you just maneuver around for an hour and then when something's about to happen, the game ends.

The expansion does fix some other minor issues I had, though.

More
20 Oct 2008 20:16 #13178 by Mr Skeletor
SenorOcho wrote:

The problem with the FFG edition's VP pool is that you just maneuver around for an hour and then when something's about to happen, the game ends.

Just up it, which seems to be how everyone plays it.

More
20 Oct 2008 20:29 #13179 by KingPut
2 rule changes we always play with. #1. Quick start rule. Everyone gets 1 low level city to start the game. Everyone's first move is to capture a neutral city anyway so this gets the game rolling a little faster. #2. Quick movement. We increase the movement rate so it makes combat and movement more aggressive.

I haven't tried it yet but I also want to give everyone an emergency measure card. Once a game you can change one of your orders to any other order.

More
20 Oct 2008 21:11 #13180 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The FFG edition is vastly under rated. Fucking awsome game that needs at least one game under your belt to begin shining.

I agree. It continues to get better the more you play. It is a rich game with a lot going on.

More
21 Oct 2008 14:47 #13210 by mads b.
I've played it once and quite liked it. It's basically a wargame, but with some politics in the mix to give it extra flavour. However most of those I play with don't like it, and to be honest I think the world of the game is a bit too bland and generic. So if I want to play a medieval game with politics and maneouvering on a map I'll probably go for A Game of Thrones.

More
22 Oct 2008 03:10 #13230 by metalface13
This is another one of those games my brother had and I really wanted to play it but he sold it and I never got to play it. He did the same thing with War of the Ring too.

More
22 Oct 2008 08:48 #13233 by Ken B.
Speaking of A Game of Thrones, what does Warrior Knights bring to the table that AGoT doesn't? Honest question.

More
22 Oct 2008 09:49 #13235 by ubarose
Ken B. wrote:

Speaking of A Game of Thrones, what does Warrior Knights bring to the table that AGoT doesn't? Honest question.

Bruno Faidutti. :laugh:

Warrior Knights is to Game as Thrones, as Railroad Tycoon is to Age of Steam. WK is more chaotic, but more forgiving.

More
22 Oct 2008 10:09 #13236 by Schweig!
Ken B. wrote:

IMHO these two are completely different games.

I could start a list with differences now, but I don't feel like writing a 200-word comment at the moment.

More
22 Oct 2008 17:14 #13271 by Mr Skeletor
Agreed, different games. WK feels more old school amerittrash, more chaos and tearing shit up as opposed to AGOT which is more brain burning and diplomacy.

I'd say WK feels closer to TI3 than AGOT.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds