October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What is the best Us vs Them horror board game?

More
28 Oct 2008 13:23 #13446 by ChristopherMD
I'm talking about games where at least one person is playing against everyone else. Stuff like Last Night On Earth, Fury of Dracula, DOOM, etc, etc. Arkham Horror is fully coop so that doesn't count. Betrayal at House on the Hill and other traitor games (assuming there is definitely a traitor) do count since they are Us vs Them but its just a secret who Them is. So which game of this type, in your opinion, is the best horror-themed one? My vote should be obvious.

PS: I posted this in Modern AT, but Classic AT games are good too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2008 14:03 #13450 by Schweig!
I'd say BETRAYAL, but only if you're lucky to get a haunt which can be won by either side, otherwise it might not be Us vs Them, but Us getting devoured by them, or whatever bad things can happen in the game.

FURY OF DRACULA is also very nice, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a horror game, just a hide/seek/hunt/etc game with a horror theme.

More
28 Oct 2008 17:20 #13464 by Mr Skeletor
Schweig! wrote:

I'd say BETRAYAL,

Fuck, that would be towards my bottom.

Hmm, Fury of Drac, followed very closely by doom.

More
29 Oct 2008 08:41 #13482 by dan daly
Had game day Monday night, we played Betrayal (my first time) and Last Night on Earth (the 2nd time I played).

Both are fun. Betrayal is definitely more of a "hang out and BS with your friends type of game", not super serious. Last Night on Earth was lots of fun. We played with 2 zombie players and 2 human players with the expansion and did the Zombie Apocalypse scenario. Humans lost because of 4 hero deaths.

More
29 Oct 2008 10:19 - 29 Oct 2008 10:23 #13485 by Shellhead
I love the Us Against Him games. Here are my favorites, in order:

1. Fury of Dracula is probably my favorite.

2. Innsmouth Escape is similar to FoD, only less attractive, less balanced and yet with better rules and some innovative mechanics.

3. Intruder has a variant scenario that allows one player to control the Alien. If not for the low production values, this would be my favorite on the list.

4. Kung Fu 2100 is great. The unique combat system takes a little getting used to, but then plays rapidly and does a decent job of conveying the concept of martial arts combat, with feints and combination moves.

5. The Awful Green Things from Outer Space may be designed for two players, but we tend to play it as Us Against Him. One player controls the green things, and the rest of the players divide up the crew based on race.

6. Asteroid is an awesome dungeon crawl in space. The DM-type player runs the evil computer and his robot minions, while everybody else plays the humans who invade the asteroid base to stop the evil computer. Kind of long, and somewhat unbalanced in favor of the humans.

7. Slasher Flick: the Revenge of the Boogeyman is fantastically thematic, though long and even more unbalanced in favor of the humans. Double the victory points for the Boogeyman and maybe skip the charmed life rule, and then you've got a great game. (I realize that this game is fantastically out of print, but I have scanned all my components and even improved upon some of them, so I can make that available to anybody who is interested. The game has been out of print since it's appearance in Fantasy Gamer #1, which was maybe 25 years ago, so I'm not worried about the legal stuff.)

8. Betrayal at House on the Hill is always good for at least the first half of the game. Exploring the house is fun, and many of the encounters involve ghosts, so the theme is strong. The game often falls apart in the second act, after the traitor is revealed. Many scenarios are unbalanced, or become unbalanced with an unlucky house layout, and even the heavily revised version of the scenario books leave troubling questions.

9. Nightmare House was an Ares magazine game insert with amazing production values. It really looks like the ultimate haunted house game. Unfortunately, the rules are groaning under the weight of excessive chrome and fiddliness. Even worse, the game is precariously balanced for the first few turns. After that, one side tends to gain the advantage, and then the rest of the game is an unbalanced beatdown.

10. Undead has been rendered completely obsolete by Fury of Dracula. It has some decent ideas, but the hidden movement system requires one player to serve as a neutral referee, while the Dracula player and the heroes take turns sneaking around London. Also, the heroes must leave the room during Dracula's turn, and the Dracula player must leave the room during the heroes turn, which is disruptive and especially annoying to lazy players.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2008 10:23 by Shellhead. Reason: forgot about Betrayal

More
29 Oct 2008 12:17 #13486 by Black Barney
Fury of Dracula for sure.

LNoE would be 2nd

More
29 Oct 2008 12:39 #13489 by Schweig!
BETRAYAL is the only horror game I know, because the JONAS TURN card gave me a bad feeling once. I wouldn't say FOD is a particularly horrific game.

More
29 Oct 2008 12:53 #13491 by Ken B.
Schweig! wrote:

BETRAYAL is the only horror game I know, because the JONAS TURN card gave me a bad feeling once. I wouldn't say FOD is a particularly horrific game.

But...Bats! Rats! Fog! Van Helsing motorboating Mina! It's HORRIFIC~!

Bblblbblblblbbbbblblblbblblblbbbbb

More
29 Oct 2008 15:14 #13493 by Notahandle

More
29 Oct 2008 15:17 #13494 by Matt Thrower
Schweig! wrote:

Play the GW original.

More
29 Oct 2008 15:56 #13495 by Ken B.
Notahandle wrote:

Nobody has made it yet!

There was a fun Turbografx-16 game based on that.

More
30 Oct 2008 07:57 #13508 by Schweig!
MattDP wrote:

Schweig! wrote:

Play the GW original.

Would love to.

More
03 Nov 2008 10:30 #13588 by Shellhead
I just played Fury of Dracula again this last weekend, and it was great.

We had long, challenging game, one where we spent most of the game just a couple of moves behind Dracula. On multiple occasions, the only thing that saved him from direct combat was a well-placed Fog or Bats encounter. Near the end, we had all four hunters closing in on him in the Iberian penisula, but forgot that we had a card that could have blocked him from escaping into the Atlantic Ocean. (It was public knowledge, thanks to a card played by Dracula several turns earlier.)

On the very last turn of the game, Dracula seemed to be rushing to get to his castle to make a last stand. He had just three blood left and we were closing in. But thanks to wolf form, he was suddenly a couple towns ahead of pursuit. Godalming made a lucky train roll and an equally lucky guess, then killed him with a lucky one-two punch of Holy Water and Sacred Bullets.

Come to think of it, the previous time we played also ended with a last-moment win by the Hunters. Still a great game after so many plays.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds