October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Cutthroat Caverns

More
17 Nov 2008 10:43 #14003 by ChristopherMD
Ken B. wrote:
This is a fast-playing, innovative little card game where you play some co-op mixed nicely with backstabbing.

I think the encounters could deal with more 'lethality' as we were carving them down and none of us ever died, even though we were trying to kill each other. One monster in particular looked nasty, but we cut it down in one turn.

Want to try the expansions. I really wished they included variable character powers with the base set--without them it can feel a little lacking.

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2008 11:02 #14004 by Michael Barnes
I think this is almost a great game. When it came out, I was very, very skeptical because it looked like one of those MUNCHKIN-style RPG cash-in games that exist solely to attract the D&D crowd with a theme and no gameplay.

But then I played it with Richard Launius. Richard Launius makes any game automatically more fun because he narrates the whole thing in this huge voice-of-god tone. "Alright boys, it's the Boogens. You gotta watch out for the boogens, they'll get ya".

The game was a blast so I bought it and I've played it many times since, and every time it was a ton of fun (except for the time Robert Martin played it with us and he whined the whole time that card games shouldn't have counters, I guess those in GUERILLA don't count). I think it's got a great mix of actual gameplay, strategy, surprise and dirtbaggery to make it a near-classic. The only real knock is I think some of the typography and design is crap and it really should never be played with less than five or six.

I think the game really offers a new way to play the dungeon crawl. It has fairly fresh and innovative mechanics for the genre and it's cool that it focuses on kill-stealing and player interaction above all else. It really is a different game than anything else in this genre. The only other game that I think does this co-op/competitive split as well is SIEGE OF THE CITADEL, and I think that's pretty high praise.

The expansion is pretty much a must-have, the extra player powers really kind of complete the base game. Apparently there are two more expansions on the way that add traps, treasures, more heroes, and whatnot and I'll definitely get those too.

More
17 Nov 2008 14:15 #14008 by DeletedUser
I really can't wait to get my hands on this one. I'm just waiting for the reprints to arrive at Smirk and Dagger before putting in an order for the base set + expansions. The backstab element will really appeal to my group.

and it really should never be played with less than five or six

Thanks for the heads up. I don't recall seeing this anywhere else. Will be interested to see how it plays with four, which is a common number for many of my game nights.

More
17 Nov 2008 15:02 #14012 by Michael Barnes
It works, but it's one of those kinds of things where a lot of the finer dynamics don't really come into fruition with less than five. I think you'd still be satisfied with it though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds