October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ameritrash Motherlode

More
18 Nov 2008 12:27 #14064 by Space Ghost
Like Uba said, this is a game that should be able to be had on the cheap. I haven't had the all day gaming experience that she describes, but that is compared to a game like Risk. I think it is faster than Risk, but a little more complicated with terrain bonuses, etc.

Maybe they released two versions of orcs at the same time (kind of weird)-- I have a copy from 1981, which I am assuming is the first edition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2008 12:39 #14069 by southernman
OK - now everyone has got me really interested ... and annoyed. I've had this in my pile for years, never got around to playing it, never really considered it may be actually good.
So - it is worth a play by the sound of it ????

More
18 Nov 2008 13:00 #14073 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Ameritrash Motherlode
Southernman wrote:

OK - now everyone has got me really interested ... and annoyed. I've had this in my pile for years, never got around to playing it, never really considered it may be actually good.

Yeah! Play it if you got it. Since you don't have any nostalgic baggage attached to the game, you can probably give a Jack a better idea of it's worth.

I can't think of Wizard Quest without remembering the smell of homemade soup simmering on the stove, and envisioning our old dining room table and one of my brothers getting pissed as hell when they turned over a decoy treasure.

More
18 Nov 2008 18:09 #14115 by Mr Skeletor
Space Ghost wrote:

Skeletor -- How is that MoTU game?

It's a kids game with absolutely no decision making. That being said for a brainless ‘play itself’ game it’s fun. You move along the board trying to capture he-man (who is covered in a net – the game comes with tons of unnecessary but cool bits) and if you land where a evil guy is (either skeletor’s henchmen or Snake men) you have to fight then via a basic combat system (roll a special die each, if you get a sword and your opponent doesn’t you win.) From memory Skeletor gets to roll a special purple die which is exactly the same as every other die, except its purple.
There was also a funky ‘horde’ trap, where you spin a dial and hit a button, causing the horde to fall on you (I guess they are jumping you?) if you were unlucky. Fun with young kids, game maybe takes 20 mins.
Oh, and instead of using the cardboard cut-outs for the figures you could use your action figures as pieces. Booya!

More
18 Nov 2008 20:26 #14120 by Space Ghost
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Skeletor -- How is that MoTU game?

It's a kids game with absolutely no decision making. That being said for a brainless ‘play itself’ game it’s fun. You move along the board trying to capture he-man (who is covered in a net – the game comes with tons of unnecessary but cool bits) and if you land where a evil guy is (either skeletor’s henchmen or Snake men) you have to fight then via a basic combat system (roll a special die each, if you get a sword and your opponent doesn’t you win.) From memory Skeletor gets to roll a special purple die which is exactly the same as every other die, except its purple.
There was also a funky ‘horde’ trap, where you spin a dial and hit a button, causing the horde to fall on you (I guess they are jumping you?) if you were unlucky. Fun with young kids, game maybe takes 20 mins.
Oh, and instead of using the cardboard cut-outs for the figures you could use your action figures as pieces. Booya!

Holy shit -- the action figure fits on the board. Now I am intrigued.

More
18 Nov 2008 23:59 #14126 by Mr Skeletor
Want a front page review?

More
19 Nov 2008 00:38 #14127 by Space Ghost
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Want a front page review?

Most definitely. I am actually giddy at the thought of a front page MoTU review.

More
19 Nov 2008 03:48 #14135 by Matt Thrower
Southernman wrote:

Absolutely yes. Not an all-time great game, but well worth some play time.

More
19 Nov 2008 11:41 #14154 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Ameritrash Motherlode

You move along the board trying to capture he-man (who is covered in a net – the game comes with tons of unnecessary but cool bits) and if you land where a evil guy is (either skeletor’s henchmen or Snake men) you have to fight then via a basic combat system (roll a special die each, if you get a sword and your opponent doesn’t you win.)

So you're trying to capture He-Man...but you're fighting the bad guys?

Are you (the player) a good guy, a bad guy, or some independently operating Eternian bounty hunter?

More
19 Nov 2008 13:16 #14159 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Ameritrash Motherlode
Man-At-Arms.... for the win.

More
19 Nov 2008 17:20 #14189 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Ameritrash Motherlode
Man at Arms looks a lot more like a badass in action figure form than he does on the show.

More
19 Nov 2008 17:21 #14190 by Mr Skeletor
dan daly wrote:

You move along the board trying to capture he-man (who is covered in a net – the game comes with tons of unnecessary but cool bits) and if you land where a evil guy is (either skeletor’s henchmen or Snake men) you have to fight then via a basic combat system (roll a special die each, if you get a sword and your opponent doesn’t you win.)

So you're trying to capture He-Man...but you're fighting the bad guys?

Are you (the player) a good guy, a bad guy, or some independently operating Eternian bounty hunter?

No, he-man starts of captured and you need to rescue him... I always play to lose of course.

Next time I'm down at my folks I'll grab it - this classic obviously needs a full review.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds