October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

It Happened in Arkham

More
24 Nov 2008 11:08 #14277 by Shellhead
Arkham Horror is such a big game where almost anything can happen, especially when you mix in all the supplements. This thread is a place to comment on especially weird coincidences or events in games you've played. Not full session reports, just anecdotes.

For example, I played the Redeemed Cultist in game recently, and she had an encounter in the Graveyard (or possibly the Black Cave) where she found the strange remains of a monster. Which meant that she got to draw a random monster to keep as a trophy. She found a... cultist! And apparently decided to keep the body as a trophy.

Later that same game, she was at the library on the campus of Miskatonic University, trying to obtain a copy of the blasphemous play, The King in Yellow. (By coincidence, we were playing with the King in Yellow Herald that game.) Just then, two cultists that were wandering around Arkham showed up at the library to claim the book instead. The Redeemed Cultist killed them both.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2008 12:54 #14282 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:It Happened in Arkham
I got a game of Über Arkham going yesterday... all expansions, 5 players, and my massive table...

The amount of cards is pretty amazing. Took 4.5 hours with a 45 min wander down to the corner store for Gyros break.... we won, with 2 out of 5 Investigators devoured by Mr. Mask Great Old One...

A truly silly amount of UNIQUE card decks.

We only got like 2 Black Goat of the woods cards show up, but we were into the 2nd Act of The King in Yellow. I am now faced with the option of stripping out all the damned expansions to get at the Goaty bits.

(also, ug, I have horrible posture)

More
24 Nov 2008 14:25 #14283 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:It Happened in Arkham
Ah, you reminded me... when we were playing the King in Yellow herald in that game I mentioned upthread... around turn five, the First Act went off. We talked about it briefly as a potential threat, but unanimously decided that it was unlikely to be a problem. The very next turn, the Second Act went off. We only had one sealed gate at that point, so we couldn't even pay the price to prevent the Second Act. We spent the entire rest of the game worrying about the Third Act, but managed to seal six gates for the win.

In just four games, we've already seen a number of Black Goat cards. Especially the Corruption cards, because we played three of those games with the Black Goat Herald.

By the way, an interesting side effect of the Black Goat herald is that it greatly increases the chance of the Dunwich Horror coming into play, due to the increased quantity of monsters emerging from gates, including mobile Dark Young. In one game, we had dispatched the Dunwich Horror two turns after he arrived. Basically, Bob Jenkins opened a big frothing can of Clue Token Whoopass on the Dunwich Horror.

More
24 Nov 2008 15:21 #14286 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:It Happened in Arkham
we did not do Heralds, as we has 2x people who only had played the base game, and that, not even too recently. Adding all the Dunwich stuff (Vortexes) plus Kingsport (Rifts) was enough.

Their faces, as they saw the board, and pile of cards get set up was pretty priceless :)

More
24 Nov 2008 20:30 #14297 by Count Orlok
I played the game without any expansions this weekend, much to my objections. It was a strange experience, and makes me think how expansions have helped the game, despite the bulk of area they take up. I'm yet to use King in Yellow or Black Goat of the Woods to much effect, but it's on my list of things to do.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds