October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG just went nuts: CE, Talisman, Android rules up

More
26 Nov 2008 20:10 #14496 by TheDukester
Yikes, the guys and gals at FFG certainly got a lot done before the four-day holiday starts. There's all kinds of new stuff at the FFG.com site, including rules for the games mentioned in the subject line.

new.fantasyflightgames.com/index.asp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2008 20:48 #14498 by Mr Skeletor
Christmas sale is up as well. Mostly CCGs and miniature stuff I can't get :sad face:

More
26 Nov 2008 20:57 #14501 by TheDukester
I've been meaning to get some of those $5 RPG supplements for years now ... hell with it; I'm going in! :cheer:

More
27 Nov 2008 02:49 #14508 by Gary Sax
Hmmm, cool, lemme read Android rules now. Trying to make the call between this and BSG for my only game for the holidays.

More
27 Nov 2008 07:30 #14517 by Schweig!
I like the fact that FFG now also only advertises games less than a month to their releases.

They probably found out that the crybabies on BGG excessively whining over the fact that TIDE OF IRON got delayed two times was bad promotion.

More
27 Nov 2008 11:41 #14523 by Ken B.
I think they've just gotten really good at both gauging printing/development time as well as managing customer expectations.

Nothing is more frustrating than game delays, especially if it's something you're really looking forward to. I remember waiting for the WOTR expansion which was just over a year late...and Conan is so late now that I've honestly almost lost interest in it entirely.

No one complains about a game being "early", that's for sure. So mum and hype are the keywords until they are certain they're ready to pull the trigger.

I first noticed this with World of Warcraft Adventure Game which smoothly came out on time and didn't have the months and months of hype preceding it.

More
27 Nov 2008 11:50 - 27 Nov 2008 15:36 #14524 by Gary Sax
Agreed, Ken. No one else out there would hold a release until a few weeks before and then do actual fucking *marketing* and release it on time, soon after, to capture the buzz.

So I'm on the fence a bit. I've finished about half the rules. The fundamental mechanic is simply blind pick and then placement of influence ("guilt") with two personal payoff cards you secretly hold. Guessing who the other players have as guilty and then trying to get your 2 guys guilty or innocent. Then traipsing around the map to find influence. Haven't really gotten to the conspiracy or plot stuff, which could be more colorful. But that's the basic game.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2008 15:36 by Gary Sax.

More
27 Nov 2008 15:19 #14530 by Mr Skeletor
Ken B. wrote:

and Conan is so late now that I've honestly almost lost interest in it entirely.

Until it starts shipping then you'll hype up again.

More
28 Nov 2008 00:56 #14541 by Gary Sax
I just finished the rules. I don't know. I think it's probably one you have to play first to get a sense of it. On top of that it would help to be able to actually read the plot cards, which is where a lot of the theme and plot are and where the non-mechanical parts of the game also probably come out (and where the detectives feel different from each other). The influence alone feels pretty dry and the fact it's all blind is strange. The puzzle thing also... I don't know how it'll play out in person.

Right now I'm not sure about the game. It's pretty involved and detailed but I'm still not feeling the theme in the game, having not read the plot cards, so it was interesting to read the designers notes which talked nothing about the game and only about creating the theme. The plot stuff will probably be a very key part of the game.

More
28 Nov 2008 09:44 #14546 by southernman
And for all you Lord of the Rings owners without any expansions, grab Sauron for $5 as it makes it much more fun (and harder) as you have someone at the table trying to burn your little Hobbit arses - Friends & Foes is also there at the same price, have never had the chance to get it out but apparently it provides a lot more fighting and is usually a hard to find expansion.

I'm also interested in those 1/144th tanks to use for Memoir '44 and ToI at a buck each - although shipping to the UK might smack that on the head.

More
30 Nov 2008 02:03 #14567 by moofrank
Actually, the big news is hiding in the Talisman stuff.

Fate: Talisman now has rerolls.

Characters start with Fate points, and can use them to reroll any die. Fate can be regained through various sources.

That and affordable toad minis. Easily one of the hardest to find and most sought after minis in gaming.

More
30 Nov 2008 06:49 #14568 by Mr Skeletor
Read some of the rules on my plan trip to and from Sydney:

Red November: Sounds like great fun, ordered.
Battle Star: Rules sound great, ordered.

Cosmic Encounter: Never played it before, rules sound basic but that could be a good thing. Chance of grabbing it: 75%

Android: Didn't get to read these ones yet, so still undecided.
Talisman 4th: Got 3rd ed, so it doesn't make much sense to get this... but im still tempted...

I havn't even hit the expansions coming out - it's true that it is feeling like there is bit of a glut of releases all of a sudden.

More
30 Nov 2008 12:11 #14576 by jeb
That's a nice sale they got going. Picked up expansions for LotR, enough Call of Cthulu CCG to play at work, and Zany Golf or whatever, also to leave at work.

More
30 Nov 2008 14:40 #14578 by DeletedUser
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Cosmic Encounter: Never played it before, rules sound basic but that could be a good thing. Chance of grabbing it: 75%

I have never played this either and read through the rules last night. Not sure I'm entirely "getting" the game from the rules. Think I need to see some of the cards to figure out how the game actually plays. I'm guessing the interest comes from the negotiation and alliance-making aspects.

More
30 Nov 2008 15:41 #14579 by Mr Skeletor
Death and Taxis wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

I have never played this either and read through the rules last night. Not sure I'm entirely "getting" the game from the rules. Think I need to see some of the cards to figure out how the game actually plays. I'm guessing the interest comes from the negotiation and alliance-making aspects.

Agree, if it didn't have the rep it has I would probably be thinking it sounds shit via the rules.
But there is obviously more to it than it seems.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds