October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Age Of Mythology

More
01 Dec 2008 15:07 #14641 by ChristopherMD
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Age of Mythology is a decent game and the very first strategy boardgame I got my wife to play. There's some neat things going on but amassing an army and using it have never won me a game. A solid building strategy does win games. Maybe it was poor development/playtesting but why put all those plastic soldiers and monsters in the box if it's primarily a building game?

Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2008 15:30 #14645 by Michael Barnes
When this game came out, I was kind of blown away for the first three or four games. Five years on, I think the game is a total mess.

It was really kind of avant garde in a way, and we really hadn't seen AT and Euro design styles mixed to such a degree. I think that, even though I'll never play it again and the thought of doing so kind of makes me nauseous, I feel like it's an important game and I think it's also a very experimental one. I think Drover was really kind of pushing boundaries with it, and even though it's a failure overall at least he tried.

The funny thing is that GAME OF THRONES came out right after it, and that wound up being conceptually similar as a hybrid design but it was much more successful. I almost think that Drover's idea was just a little too early and his concepts a little premature to really get to where he wanted to go.

I remember playing it with my friends at the time and promoting as "PUERTO RICO with fighting!" which appealed to my old school buddies who also were into the newer-at-the-time Euros. It wasn't hard to see that there was some TITAN in the design, and that was appealing. But in the end, the lack of geography, the overly mechanical gameplay, and the goofy combat pretty much wound up keeping this from being the seminal classic it should have been.

I'd actually love to see Drover go back and redevelop the game...as long as it doesn't turn out like AGE OF EMPIRES III.

More
01 Dec 2008 16:59 #14654 by Harkonnen13
A redesign of AoM would be good. It does have potential to be a better game than it is.

More
01 Dec 2008 18:27 #14665 by Mr Skeletor
Brought this on special, and have no idea why I did. I can't see myself ever really pulling it out.
It's not a bad game, but it isn't brilliant either. Everything just seems glued together, and while it has some neat ideas it never comes together as a whole. It just seems like a hodge podge of different mechanics that don't interact properly.

More
01 Dec 2008 22:10 #14674 by Stephen Avery
I've had a lot of fun playing this game and its the closest I've ever come to flipping the table (after a brutal ass raping by Dan baden followed by Mark Zohgby). It plays great with three. Combats are fun but take too long and make the game drag a bit. The biggest problem are the boards aren;t blanced for chit draws Greece and Egypt compete for more simliar resources leaving norse to rack up. For a two hour game it rocks. Do yourself a favor and skip the reviews and try it for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Steve"Mythological"Avery

More
01 Dec 2008 22:39 #14675 by Michael Barnes
Skel pretty much summed it up- a hodge podge of ideas, but not enough connectivity to really bring it all together.

Avery is right too- it's definitely a three player game.

More
02 Dec 2008 03:14 #14685 by KingPut
Uba, Uba's Man and I played Age of Mythology this summer. The game probably has the best plastic units in world. Maybe even better than StarCraft. And we had some fun playing the game. In the game I think you need to roll "6" (not 5-6 for hits) so me and Uba's man ended up rolling the dice about 40 times to resolve one of the big battles. But the game falls flat because it ends up feeling like an overly long game of PR. So the game not really bad but if I have 3 players and we want to play a game with cool bits I'm going to pull out StarCraft or Nexus Ops before I suggest Age of Mythology.

More
02 Dec 2008 10:11 #14699 by Ken B.
The game is pretty good. Use 5-6 to hit, Drover himself said that's the way it should have been designed so it's a "designer-blessed house rule."

The bits in this game are freaking awesome so that blinds me. But it is esentially a Puerto-Rico style game with Giants and Vikings and Serpents kicking the shit out of each other.

Everybody says the combat and figures are pointless...but if you sit there and don't build an army, I'm going to use mine to plunder your resources, burn down your buildings, and take a shit in your temple. So even a "pure" building strategy *must* keep a standing army, or they'll get destroyed. It's a nice balance.

I would have liked to see an "official" battle board/map for those who wanted to play it that way. I know the lack of geography bothers some, it doesn't bother me too badly. It's one of those concessions that kept the playtime down and prevented stupid strategies like turtling.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds