October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Best Ameritrash Games 2008

More
01 Dec 2008 18:46 #14667 by KingPut
Before Thanksgiving we did very unofficial Best Euro Games of 2008. This week we'll tackle the Ameritrash games. I read a few posts a couple of weeks ago saying this was a weak year for Ameritrash games and I would agree even if I classified Galaxy Trucker as an Ameritrash game. But here's my votes:

Best Ameritrash game for 2008: Battlestar Galactica. For me BSG isn't one of the all time great game like Ti3, Arkham Horror or even StarCraft. But when you play with a good group of people you should have enough great moments in the game to make up for some of the problems this game has.

Best Trash Jr. game for 2008: Shadow Hunters Shadow Hunters came out in 2005 in Japan but it wasn't until this year that it was available in English. This game has been a big hit with my family and nice fun filler with my gaming groups.

Best Ameritrash Expansion for 2008: A tie between Kingsport and Blackgoat The Kingsport map was disappointing but the new investigates, big monsters and epic battle cards made up for the weakness of the board locations. Blackgoat was the small box expansion that added an additional layer by adding corruption cards.

Best Old School Ameritrash Game I tried in 2008 Shadowlords from 1983.

Please add in your comments and suggestions:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2008 19:08 #14670 by Shellhead
Best Ameritrash game for 2008: Battlestar Galactica. I've only played one game so far, but I would second this nomination.

Best Trash Jr. game for 2008: Humans!!! I realize that nobody here thinks much of Twilight Games, but Humans!!! is a relatively fast and easy game with neat components and mechanics, an overall better game than anything they have previously published. The artwork might be a little too horrific for kids, if that's what the Jr. designation is about.

Best Ameritrash Expansion for 2008: Kingsport Horror. The Kingsport board and rift mechanics are indeed disappointing, but the Epic Battle cards fix the only remaining problem that AH had. The new GOOs are brutally hard, but the Guardians (and Heralds) give players an easy an interesting way to tweak the difficulty level of the game.

Best Old School Ameritrash Game I tried in 2008: nothing. I am quite fond of a number of old AT games, but I didn't get a chance in 2008 to try any old ones that I've haven't played before.

More
01 Dec 2008 22:47 #14677 by Michael Barnes
Best Ameritrash game for 2008: Almost definitely BSG. But I do think it's one of the great AT designs, and one that have staying power beyond the license. Although, ANDROID is coming...and it looks very, very compelling. Its complexity might be a stumbling block though- very rules-heavy but if that weight buys a lot of theme and story...

Best Trash Jr. game for 2008: RISK '08 or CAVEMAN.

Best Ameritrash Expansion for 2008: Looks like ROAD TO LEGEND is going to take this one. I think it's brilliant from a design perspective, but I just don't have a group that can really take advantage of its merits.

Best Old School Ameritrash Game I tried in 2008: ORIENT EXPRESS, a murder-mystery/deduction game from 1985. It's amazing- the game requires actual detective instincts and the ability to triangulate information in a fairly simple game with a good bit of theme.

New category- Best Reprint. Hard to not just hand it off to TITAN, but COSMIC ENCOUNTER might put up a good fight.

More
02 Dec 2008 00:13 #14681 by metalface13
I'm really bad at doing this because I can never remember what games I've played over the year, what came out this year and which of those new games I played this year. Also, it becomes painfully obvious how few games I've actually played.

Best Ameritrash game of 2008: A Touch of Evil. And I've only played it once so far. But I think it's the only game released this year that I've played.

Best Ameritrash Jr.: NA

Best Ameritrash Expansion: See, I was totally going to say Descent: Tomb of Ice because I forgot Road to Legend came out. The prize should go to RTL though, just because of how much it changes the game. Unfortunately it hasn't changed how often I play Descent. I thought the shorter dungeon times would mean we play it more often, it just turns out it is harder to get people together on the regular for the campaign. And you kind of lose the feeling of the epic dungeons in the standard scenarios.

Best older Ameritrash game: LOTR: Confrontation

More
02 Dec 2008 00:19 #14682 by metalface13
Another new category

New release that I haven't played yet: Galactic Emperor. You need 3 players. But my bro-in-law has kind of been a dick all semester since he started school and has kind of blown off gaming with me and our other Descent player.

More
02 Dec 2008 00:43 - 02 Dec 2008 00:44 #14683 by Harkonnen13
I haven't played mt copies of BSG or Touch of Evil yet (along with no-plays of Prince of Chaos and Okko) so I'm screwed for a best AT 2008 picks. I will go with the Growing Hunger expansion for LNOE as best expansion, it did it's job better than Kingsport Horror did. For AT junior I'll pick Kriegbot. If you don't know what that is look here:

http://kriegbot.com/
Last edit: 02 Dec 2008 00:44 by Harkonnen13.

More
02 Dec 2008 17:41 #14768 by Bulwyf
Best Ameritrash game for 2008: Ghost Stories 2008 isn't quite over so BSG might take the title if I can get it to the table before the New Year. However the new AT game that I've played the most (by far) and gets the most requests is Ghost Stories. Fun, thematic, great productions and hard as hell. Ghost Stories demands your A-game.

Best Trash Jr. game for 2008: Manoeuvre Its more of a wargame than AT but Manoeuvre is a lot of fun and sees a lot of table time. I'd also argue that it's only marginally more complex (rules-wise) than Risk. Whenever we have less than an hour to game, it's the game of choice.

Best Ameritrash Expansion for 2008: Descent: Road to Legend It's not even close. RtL takes a decent but so-so also-ran in the dungeon crawler genre and turns it into eveything I ever wanted from this type of game. Simply brilliant.

Best Old School Ameritrash Game I tried in 2008: Survive! I got this in a trade a few weeks back and the family loves it! Throwing your opponents dudes to the sharks has never been so much fun. This is what a kid friendly game should be.

-Will

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds