October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Formula De

More
08 Dec 2008 10:48 #15056 by ChristopherMD
Weekly Trash is a series of discussion threads in the F:AT forums. Each week a comment from the recommendations database is highlighted here. Don't be shy about posting further comments, questions, answers, funny stories, pictures, "this game sucks", or anything else related to the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2008 11:17 #15058 by mikoyan
This is a game that I have mixed emotions about. I like it alot but it is a very frustrating game for me. I understand the probabilities but more than often than not when I push my luck, I end up scraping the wall and they have to scrape my car off the road. However, when you talk about clever mechanics and the mechanics fitting the game, this is the one that comes to mind. It actually feels like you are racing a car (except when you have the person that counts his moves repeatedly). This is definately one that takes some planning for your next move (you can set yourself up nicely in the corners so that you are in the right gear when you come out).

HOwever, I wish there were some good pictures on TOS...the ones I saw were blurry...:)

More
08 Dec 2008 12:57 #15066 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Formula De
Is there any reason I should seek out a copy of Formula De instead of the newer Formula D?

I've been interested in this series for a long time. Almost had a trade for Formula De but it didn't work out. I'm glad to see the series back in print with Formula D.

I really want some kind of racing board game.

More
08 Dec 2008 13:06 #15067 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Formula De
Lagduf wrote:

Is there any reason I should seek out a copy of Formula De instead of the newer Formula D?

I've been interested in this series for a long time. Almost had a trade for Formula De but it didn't work out. I'm glad to see the series back in print with Formula D.

I really want some kind of racing board game.

I would like someone knowledgeable to comment on the differences between FORMULA D(E) and SPEED CIRCUIT. I likes me some SPEED CIRCUIT.

More
08 Dec 2008 14:29 #15070 by ubarose
I find Formula De rather long and tedious. I also don't like games that require writing things down - paper and pencil just annoy me.

I enjoy Kramer's system better - Daytona 500, Top Race, Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix.

More
08 Dec 2008 16:06 #15084 by Michael Barnes
FORMULA DE sucks. that's the chief difference between it and SPEED CIRCUIT, which is awesome.

Here's the thing- FORMULA DE could be really, really cool. The dice-based gear system is cool, the die rolling can be pretty dramatic, and there's almost always at least one spectacularly memorable accident or upset in every game. I want to like it, and sometimes I've fooled myself into thinking that I did.

But then you actually play it. It takes FOREVER, like 4-5 hours depending on how many you're playing with, and it's of course no fun with 3-4-5 people. All that dice rolling turns into tedious counting, calculating, and optimizing. There's a reason you see the beard scratchers hunkered down over this at game events- because it's every bit as dry and analytical as the worst Eurogames. The game completely misses having any sense of speed, thrill, or seat-of-your-pants driving beyond making calculated choices and maybe two or three really risky plays a game. Using the chess clock or whatever doesn't help- the game is slow and boring, and those are two things that race games should _never_ be.

It's just not fun, and it doesn't capture anything that I want in racing game.

SPEED CIRCUIT is much simpler but it can get calculatory if you're playing with Fun Murderers, but it's also WAY quicker and just more fun to play overall.

FORMULA DE MINI was a slight improvement. Shorter courses helped, but abstracting the car damage/wear and tear down to gold coins was a stupid mistake- that's not what makes the game a drag to play.

I can't comment on FORMULA D because I haven't played it. I like that they tried to inject a little more friction into it and added special powers, but it remains to be seen if the game is still the endless snooze it was in the past.

More
08 Dec 2008 17:16 #15094 by Lagduf
Formula D does get rid of having to write things down.

Looks like you get this pretty cool Dashboard where you move pegs to track your various stats.

I'd really like to hear some opinions on Formula D.

Is SPEED CIRCUIT readily available?

More
08 Dec 2008 17:55 #15099 by moss_icon
i love a bit of formula de. just play it fast and loose with people who don't really care that much about the optimal movement. this is best achieved by ensuring everyone is drinking beers well prior to the green light.

More
08 Dec 2008 18:58 #15104 by Mr Skeletor
What about moto GP?

More
08 Dec 2008 21:43 #15112 by Michael Barnes
I haven't heard anybody comment on MOTO GP...anywhere that's worth looking at, at least. Has anyone tried it? It looks really cool...

I'm interested in trying LEADER 1, that cycle racing game that came out at Essen too...

I really like race games...just most of them bog down with rules and mechanical crap that diminishes the speed, thrill, and tension. No straight race game (meaning something not like CIRCUS MAXIMUS) should be over 90 minutes or so long. Regardless of the number of players.

More
08 Dec 2008 22:04 #15114 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Formula De
SPEED CIRCUIT ranges from $10 to $30 on eBay .

I don't recall exactly, but I think I got mine on the BGG Marketplace for about $15. Minty fresh. Looking now it's crazy expensive. The 3M games are swingy as hell.

More
09 Dec 2008 00:08 #15124 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

I haven't heard anybody comment on MOTO GP...anywhere that's worth looking at, at least. Has anyone tried it? It looks really cool...

I'm interested in trying LEADER 1, that cycle racing game that came out at Essen too...

I really like race games...just most of them bog down with rules and mechanical crap that diminishes the speed, thrill, and tension. No straight race game (meaning something not like CIRCUS MAXIMUS) should be over 90 minutes or so long. Regardless of the number of players.

I want to try Leader 1 too.

We have been having fun with Snow Tails. It plays fast, and if you screw up, which is pretty easy to do, you're ability to maneuver your sled is reduced, so you screw up more, which further reduces your ability to steer, until eventually you smash up your sled and are eliminated from the game. Having the risk of elimination be a real possibility adds a nice edge to the game. Plus, it is funny as hell when someone grinds their sled to splinters trying to take a curve.

More
09 Dec 2008 01:11 #15126 by Lagduf
Talk to me about Speed Circuit.

What makes it fun?

More
09 Dec 2008 13:40 #15136 by mikoyan
while I do like Formula DE, I will also admit that it can be a pretty tedious game at times. I don't mind the recording things like tire damage and what not because that isn't the tedious part. The tedious part is figuring out which gear will work best as you get into the corners and trying to figure out the best placement so that you can get out of the corners intact. Multiply that times the number of players and it can make that part of the game drag out much longer than it should. It's not a game that I want to play all the time....

Those other racing games sound more interesting.

More
09 Dec 2008 18:40 - 09 Dec 2008 22:13 #15160 by Dogmatix
Michael Barnes wrote:

FORMULA DE sucks. that's the chief difference between it and SPEED CIRCUIT, which is awesome.

Here's the thing- FORMULA DE could be really, really cool. The dice-based gear system is cool, the die rolling can be pretty dramatic, and there's almost always at least one spectacularly memorable accident or upset in every game. I want to like it, and sometimes I've fooled myself into thinking that I did.

But then you actually play it. It takes FOREVER, like 4-5 hours depending on how many you're playing with, and it's of course no fun with 3-4-5 people. All that dice rolling turns into tedious counting, calculating, and optimizing. There's a reason you see the beard scratchers hunkered down over this at game events- because it's every bit as dry and analytical as the worst Eurogames. The game completely misses having any sense of speed, thrill, or seat-of-your-pants driving beyond making calculated choices and maybe two or three really risky plays a game. Using the chess clock or whatever doesn't help- the game is slow and boring, and those are two things that race games should _never_ be.

It's just not fun, and it doesn't capture anything that I want in racing game.

SPEED CIRCUIT is much simpler but it can get calculatory if you're playing with Fun Murderers, but it's also WAY quicker and just more fun to play overall.

FORMULA DE MINI was a slight improvement. Shorter courses helped, but abstracting the car damage/wear and tear down to gold coins was a stupid mistake- that's not what makes the game a drag to play.

I can't comment on FORMULA D because I haven't played it. I like that they tried to inject a little more friction into it and added special powers, but it remains to be seen if the game is still the endless snooze it was in the past.

Barnes--Chess clock? I find that using a freakin' turn timer when surrounded by humans at a Formula De table is critical. You're supposed to be driving 200 miles/hour, so make it a 45-second timer and be done; failure to roll before time-out means you stay in the same gear and someone else rolls for you. Grip it-n-rip it racing absolutely ensues.

The flash/online version of Formula De shows you all the possible permutations of lane choices/gear-die ranges, so it plays in minutes. You can play a 10-car race in 20 minutes, tops.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2008 22:13 by Dogmatix.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds