October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What’s your Ameritrash Resolution for 2009?

More
22 Dec 2008 15:29 #15644 by Notahandle
Mr. Bistro wrote:
" - Find out where Anders has his orgies."
:laugh: You beat me to it!! :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2008 13:41 #15671 by VonTush
1) First take an axe to my game collection, and then a scalpel to fine tune it
2) Take more and contribute less on TOS
3) Play more, buy less

LvT

More
23 Dec 2008 13:43 #15672 by Michael Barnes
Mine is to stupid buying shitty games that I wind up selling on Ebay or trading away. I bought too much crap in 2008. Part of it is because I have to have something to review/write about, but I'm going to be much more picky about what I actually bring in. I'm going to read rules more carefully before deciding and try to avoid getting garbage like TOMB or MECANISBURGO.

I'm also looking at my shelf and I see underplayed FIELDS OF FIRE, UNHAPPY KING CHARLES, HOLD THE LINE, ESPANA 1936, NAPOLEON'S TRIUMPH, DAYS OF THE FOX, and NAPOLEONIC WARS sitting there...so playing more wargames, that's another.

I'm also going to finish reading the complete works of Robert E. Howard. I've just finished re-reading the Conan and Solomon Kane stories, so now I'm moving on to Kull, Bran Mak Mor, and all that other stuff. That's pretty AT, isn't it?

More
23 Dec 2008 15:13 #15675 by southernman
1) Try and keep playing AT games ... with the ever diminishing numbers of gamers in my area it's hit and miss getting a game in each week.

2) Get rid of more of my 'never to be played' games gathering dust.

More
23 Dec 2008 15:29 #15676 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, "play more, buy less" seems to be a common theme here.

I'm already drastically reducing my collection (yet again)...I'm even getting rid of games I like a lot if they're not going to get played any time soon and if they haven't been played recently. Part of it is being laid off and needing income (makes keeping a rarely played copy of PATHS OF GLORY around _much_ less attractive), but also because it's really kind of ludicrous to have more than about 100 games. And even that is, by most people's standards, extreme. From now on, I'm just keeping the favorites, whatever is new and hasn't been triaged yet, really rare/impossible to get again stuff, and things I have for whatever sentimental reason. Even games I really like a lot I'm realizing I don't necessarily have to own them.

I mean, in one of my game groups there's two friends of mine that between them literally own almost every game ever published. And if I'm going to be playing games at all, there's a 90% chance that one or both of them are going to be involved so what's the point of having a game everybody owns anyway unless it's just a favorite title?

More
23 Dec 2008 15:46 - 23 Dec 2008 15:47 #15677 by southernman
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, "play more, buy less" seems to be a common theme here.

I'm already drastically reducing my collection (yet again)...I'm even getting rid of games I like a lot if they're not going to get played any time soon and if they haven't been played recently. Part of it is being laid off and needing income (makes keeping a rarely played copy of PATHS OF GLORY around _much_ less attractive), but also because it's really kind of ludicrous to have more than about 100 games. And even that is, by most people's standards, extreme. From now on, I'm just keeping the favorites, whatever is new and hasn't been triaged yet, really rare/impossible to get again stuff, and things I have for whatever sentimental reason. Even games I really like a lot I'm realizing I don't necessarily have to own them.

I mean, in one of my game groups there's two friends of mine that between them literally own almost every game ever published. And if I'm going to be playing games at all, there's a 90% chance that one or both of them are going to be involved so what's the point of having a game everybody owns anyway unless it's just a favorite title?

Know exactly where you're coming from - I've just relinquished mint copies of We the People (1 play) and 1830 (no plays) purely because it was like having £100 nailed to the ceiling that I couldn't touch ... and other people actually get to play them now.
I've got about 20 - 30 games that probably will never hit the market, but the rest are moving on. And same situation with some of the few gamers left - hundreds of games between them.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2008 15:47 by southernman.

More
23 Dec 2008 19:02 #15681 by TheDukester
Resolution: Buy Age of Conan upon day or release. Play for next 10 months, stopping occasionally for food, sleep, and Cosmic Encounter. And maybe Dune.

More
23 Dec 2008 22:37 #15687 by KingPut
Schweig! wrote:

KingPut wrote:

3. Netflix old classic war movies. I’ve scene the modern war movies Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan but I want to see the old movies like Paths of Glory and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Read the book instead. If the English translation is even halfway acceptable, you'll be enthralled.

I read All Quiet on the Western Front in high school and I liked it but I probably should re-read it sometime. You can see a book or movie in a completely different light 10 or 20 years later when your reading it for fun rather than for a grade.

It's interesting hearing so many people mention buying less and playing more. I'd have to count myself in that camp after a 2 year smorgasbord of buying games. However, I was at a market research presentation last Thursday and the presenter showed a poll they've run for the last 10 years asking people if they planned to eat out at fast food restaurants more, less or about the same in the next month. Every month 30 - 35% of people say they plan to eat out less and only 5% say they plan to eat out more the next month. If people really followed what they said they planned to do every fast food restaurant in America would be out of business. Instead the fast food business has been flat to slightly up over the last 10 years. I guess we'll find out how we do on our Ameritrash resolutions in about 365 days.

More
24 Dec 2008 10:34 #15698 by billyz
I've always claimed that " Fairy tale of New York" is the only song that ever made me cry-- great tune.

I don't know if this will pass as blasphemy but one of my favorite CD's for the holidays is " A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldie Trio.

Yeah , I know-- but fuck you. It's outstanding stuff, and appeals to everyone. What kind of jackass doesn't like the Peanuts?

As far as resolutions go, mine is shamefully similar to last year's: learn to play Magic Realm, and play more boardgames. I've been busy with A D&D campaign for the past 2 years and it's been eating up alot of my leisure time.

On the plus side we're having a fucking blast. It feels like we're 13 all over again-- minus the can't get laid part.

More
24 Dec 2008 13:31 #15702 by ChristopherMD
* I didn't buy much this year so buying less would pretty much equal buying nothing and I know that's not going to happen. I would like to play more AT games in general next year. Also to write about them more, particularly to add reviews to the Recommendations section.

* Make my own DOOM scenario using horrorclix Aliens. Possibly a campaign of a few scenarios linked together that I've had in my head for the past year.

* Play Arkham with expansion board(s). I can't do this at home though as my table only fits the base game.

* Try Android, new Cosmic Encounter, BSG, and A Touch Of Evil. Unfortunately I have to wait for someone I know to buy them or bring to a game group. Since they aren't the latest hyped twenty-minute Euro, I'm not holding my breath.

* Try to take over the world, but I do that every night already. ;)

More
24 Dec 2008 15:23 #15706 by Michael Barnes
I don't know if this will pass as blasphemy but one of my favorite CD's for the holidays is " A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldie Trio.

Oh man, that haunting Charlie Brown Christmas song...it's like a fuckin' Cocteau Twins song or something. You can't understand any of those spooky, ethereal voices and it sounds like Christmas is about being really cold and/or dying.

More
24 Dec 2008 16:20 #15711 by Shellhead
1. Buy less, play more.

2. Reduce my collection by about 30%, selling off games or even giving them away to worthy recipients.

3. Try to improve my boardgaming group. Ideally, I want a group of a half-dozen reliable players with AmeriTrash tastes, long attention spans, and some lively tabletalk. Currently, I have too many players, unreliable players, with attention spans that cap out at about 2 hours, and too many calm, polite, bland personalities.

4. Finish work on a massive card expansion for Jyhad. It will either get published officially, or else be the most professional-looking fan expansion that you've ever seen. Either possibility is fine with me, though I have a slight preference for the option that gets me some cash.

5. Put together my own copy of the unofficial Feast for Crows expansion to A Game of Thrones, in hopes of some day playing with nine players.

More
24 Dec 2008 17:36 #15715 by Count Orlok
Shellhead wrote:

4. Finish work on a massive card expansion for Jyhad. It will either get published officially, or else be the most professional-looking fan expansion that you've ever seen. Either possibility is fine with me, though I have a slight preference for the option that gets me some cash.

Out of curiosity, what does it feature? I love Jyhad/V:TES and have gotten behind on the expansions, let alone fan-made expansions!

More
24 Dec 2008 18:33 - 24 Dec 2008 21:48 #15719 by Mr. White
I mentioned this a little in the Christmas thread a few weeks back, but my resolution include the following:

* Buy no games, play to death the ones I have. My group really took to Warrior Knights, so I'm expecting that and CE to really be put through the gauntlet this year.

* Never visit a game site for one year. I'll look forward to reading the reviews for Age of Conan, Chaos Over the Old World, and hopefully TI Dune in 2010.

* Finish painting up my Vampire Counts army in time for the Alamo Indy GT in November. I thought this would be the year I actually try 40k, but I simply can't get into the fluff or the fact that all of these range weapons are so limited in play. I can buy range restrictions just a bit more in fantasy. All the 40k pictures of orks and space marines shooting each other at point blank range seem a bit silly.

* Try to get the old school rpgers in my game group to try a few Tunnels and Trolls dungeoncrawls using old school stereotype characters and names.

* Complete my first triathalon. I'm gonna say it's Ameritrashy in that I could run another simple, streamlined half-marathon, but this year I'm gonna throw in some new complications.

*** Not exactly a resolution, but there's a good chance I'll hook up with some old friends at the dragon*con for a weekend of TI3 madness.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2008 21:48 by Mr. White.

More
24 Dec 2008 22:07 #15724 by billyz
Michael Barnes wrote:

Oh man, that haunting Charlie Brown Christmas song...it's like a fuckin' Cocteau Twins song or something. You can't understand any of those spooky, ethereal voices and it sounds like Christmas is about being really cold and/or dying.[/quote]

Hehe, maybe, but there's something touching about that melancholy quality that somehow pulls it all together. Couple that with the nostalgia our generation (and a few before) feels concerning anything to do with the Peanuts, and it makes for one onr of those timeless moments where you're squeezing your partner close in hand, while holding a drink in the other, saying absolutely nothing, while watching the younger generation's bright eyed wonder at a holiday we now completely take for granted. It always does it for me.

Jack Hooligan is runnning a Triathlon? Dude... that's some serious commitment.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds