October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2629 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Titan

More
16 Jan 2009 16:00 #17282 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
Tom and jeb - Thanks for the comments!
My buddy and I are both new to the game so we were fumbling around quite a bit just getting the flow down, but the comments y'all have made has really got me thinking about what this game really has to offer. Thanks again.

LvT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2009 16:52 #17286 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
Tom's Hand cock wrote:

Colossus will help with this too.... Titan is a game you have to play a few times to even realize what the fuck is going on, much less start to see the strategy involved on the masterboard.

This is the doubletruth, RUTH. I don't have another game in my collection that rewards replays as much as Titan. You should play some four or five Colossus games to get a feel for how things just move around, maybe not get killed the first time you have a fight. Once you have a clue, then you start to see little things like: touching the outer ring is going to send you to the outer ring (barring towers), conceding more than half your battles isn't uncommon AT ALL, Ogres aren't worth the cardboard they are made of when attacking a Tower, &c.

Damn, I love this game.

More
16 Jan 2009 17:12 #17291 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
I, personally, like to keep my two Gargoyles in my Titan stack in 5-6 player games.

First because the beefy midrange creatures tend to make your Titan stack a tougher nut to crack, and second because you can make some killer gorgon stacks pretty quick by splitting off Cyclopi when you need room for Behemoths.

More
16 Jan 2009 20:12 #17304 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
billyz wrote:

I, personally, like to keep my two Gargoyles in my Titan stack in 5-6 player games.

First because the beefy midrange creatures tend to make your Titan stack a tougher nut to crack, and second because you can make some killer gorgon stacks pretty quick by splitting off Cyclopi when you need room for Behemoths.

See, I do the opposite. I keep the gargs together with my titan in games with fewer players, because for those games, serpents are the endgame. With 5 or 6, Colossuses (Colossi?) are the endgame. There are differing opinions... but thats what makes the game interesting. Lots of different ways to skin a cat.

More
17 Jan 2009 07:25 #17339 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
Yeah I do it too sometimes--it's just that I'd rather go for hydras in the 4-5 game.

More
18 Jan 2009 08:25 #17393 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
I just did an all night epic Titan session.

Pretty fun times.

Was only a 3 player game with 2 players who had played 3 two-player games and one complete n00b. My friend and I feel like we're getting a better idea of what we're doing, but it's still slow.

Whatever though, we had Terminator 2 going on in the background (as well as some other films after that), some beers, and some pizza. So it was a good time had by all.

More
18 Jan 2009 20:14 #17445 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
after playing Titan 5 times, all with new players, thrice with my brother and twice with a friend, i've decided to trade it away.

it takes too much time to start having fun and for the strategy to click in your head. the tactics on the battleboards are excellent, but the strategy on the masterboard feels random until you actually memorize how movement works, and i don't think we have the time nor the patience to get to that point.

that being said, this is EXACTLY the kind of wargame i wanted BattleLore to be. if they ever make a campaign for BattleLore over at FFG, i hope it feels like Titan, only less clunky.

More
18 Jan 2009 20:59 #17448 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
Thanks for the thoughts kookoobah. Welcome to F:AT

More
18 Jan 2009 21:13 #17450 by Lagduf
Replied by Lagduf on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
I'm starting to see how the masterboard isn't a completely random affair.

It's more like a controlled chaos.

More
18 Jan 2009 22:50 #17457 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
kookoobah wrote:

after playing Titan 5 times, all with new players, thrice with my brother and twice with a friend, i've decided to trade it away.

it takes too much time to start having fun and for the strategy to click in your head. the tactics on the battleboards are excellent, but the strategy on the masterboard feels random until you actually memorize how movement works, and i don't think we have the time nor the patience to get to that point.

that being said, this is EXACTLY the kind of wargame i wanted BattleLore to be. if they ever make a campaign for BattleLore over at FFG, i hope it feels like Titan, only less clunky.

I was excited abotu the titan reprint, but now I doubt i'll bother picking it up. Like you I just don't think I can be bothered getting up to the 'mastering the masterboard' part, despite the fact I have played heaps on colossus.

More
19 Jan 2009 08:04 #17477 by Matt Thrower
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I was excited abotu the titan reprint, but now I doubt i'll bother picking it up. Like you I just don't think I can be bothered getting up to the 'mastering the masterboard' part, despite the fact I have played heaps on colossus.

It's not that hard. Remember that the outer ring is a conveyor belt, the middle ring consists of six smaller rings which can either be spun round or used as a chain from one to the next and the inner ring is recruiting heaven but has a nasty tendency to throw you out into undesirable board positions and you've got the basics.

You may find this helpful:
www.boardgamegeek.com/image/265747

The biggest problem with owning a physical copy of the game is the play time. It's perfectly manageable with two and three, but with four it only takes one inexperienced, forgetful or AP-prone player to push it over the edge. Don't even both with five or six.

More
19 Jan 2009 08:27 #17483 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Weekly Trash - Titan
I agree totally with MattDP.

I also understand that with the length, etc., it isn't for everyone. Play it with an AP-prone player and you will want to commit violence.

Much like great classics like empires in arms, Titan is a game you don't play that often, but the times you do play really stick with you.

More
03 Feb 2009 03:37 #19582 by sydo
When I win a battle against opponents titan stack, score 100+ points for opposing troops and another 200+ points from the opponents other legions, do I get 3 angels into the winning legion? Or can I acquire only one angel per battle?
I played my second game today and this game is great, everyone is loving it. My groups Top3 are all old games (Dune, Cosmic Encounter, Titan), must be something about it...

More
03 Feb 2009 04:18 #19587 by Matt Thrower
sydo wrote:

When I win a battle against opponents titan stack, score 100+ points for opposing troops and another 200+ points from the opponents other legions, do I get 3 angels into the winning legion? Or can I acquire only one angel per battle?

You only get one, but not because of a limit on acquiring Angels in battle. The rules state that the half-points you get for other legions don't allow you to acquire Angels. In the unlikely (but possible) event that a battle outcome took you past two multiples of 100 (i.e. you were on 290 points and scored 110 from a battle) you'd get two Angels, providing there was room for them in the victorious stack.

More
03 Feb 2009 08:55 #19603 by hancock.tom
The interesting thing is, by the time you are big enough to kill that many points in a battle, you probably don't want two angels in your stack anymore unless it got decimated or one of them is an archangel.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds