October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

A shakeup at Valley Games

More
07 Jan 2009 16:03 #16233 by JoelCFC25
That one Kevin guy from Valley Games has resigned. His notice to the community is here: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369815

Check out the classless dig from one of the remaining VG principals on page 2.

This isn't gonna do anything to dispel speculation about their prospects as a company, that's for sure. You have to wonder if they're circling the drain...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2009 16:24 #16236 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:A shakeup at Valley Games
I'm pretty solidly in the "whatever" camp here. Did they re-publish HANNIBAL and TITAN? Yes? Ok, I'm good. I didn't see anything else in their catalog that was grabbing me.

More
07 Jan 2009 16:26 #16238 by JoelCFC25
Fair point, guess I'd be in the same boat.

More
07 Jan 2009 16:27 #16239 by Deleted User 1
Interesting but not surprising.

When a company like Valley Games gets myself and Matt Thrower upset, two of the coolest level headed cats on the planet, you know there is a problem.

People make business so complicated when it is not. Just do the job!

Collect money
ship game.
Done

NOT

Promise great product and promo items (like plastic Generals)
Collect money
Produce game
Detour to Essen with copies of game and sell before shipping to prepaid customers
Post another delay notice on BGG
Finally deliver game
Finally deliver cheap plastic Generals that are useless

More
07 Jan 2009 16:46 #16246 by Count Orlok
I would just like to see Republic of Rome get published, but I'm not sure if I'll ever see it happen.

I bought Titan and wasn't disappointed. I also didn't pre-order, and knew what to expect when I picked it up at the local store.

We'll see how much longer they'll stay afloat.

More
07 Jan 2009 16:59 #16248 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:A shakeup at Valley Games
Oh man...I did that article about "In the Shadow of the Valley Games" last year trying to figure out what was going on with them. Looks like the guy who was the public face more or less--and seemed like a decent guy to boot--is gone. That can't bode well considering this was one of Kevin's babies, his real passions.

Crap, I did that article on Days of Wonder and they ended up selling off Battlelore and promptly doing nothing sense.

Heh...now I just need to do an expose on "FRED", and we're all set.

More
07 Jan 2009 17:16 #16249 by Horacio Silva
Ken B. wrote:

Oh man...I did that article about "In the Shadow of the Valley Games" last year trying to figure out what was going on with them. Looks like the guy who was the public face more or less--and seemed like a decent guy to boot--is gone. That can't bode well considering this was one of Kevin's babies, his real passions.

Crap, I did that article on Days of Wonder and they ended up selling off Battlelore and promptly doing nothing sense.

Just don't do an article about F:AT, please.

H

More
07 Jan 2009 17:22 #16252 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:A shakeup at Valley Games
Horacio Silva wrote:

Just don't do an article about F:AT, please.

H

Hahahaha I won't....OH CRAP

More
07 Jan 2009 17:34 #16255 by Mr Skeletor
Kevin always rubbed me the wrong way with his shillbusting nonsense. He seemed like one of those guys who wouldn't cut a company a break.
Guess he now learned first hand that running a business isn't easy.

More
07 Jan 2009 17:36 #16256 by Juniper
Ken B. wrote:

Other Ken B. classics:

1. "The USSR and the Future," school report, 1991
2. "What Next for Kurt Cobain?," fanzine article, November 1993
3. "Anticipated improvements in Apple Newton OS 3.0," private correspondence, January 1994
4. "US Foreign Policy under a Gore Administration," letter to Time magazine, September 2000
4. "Prospects for 'Compassionate Conservatism'" letter to USA Today, January 2001
5. "Lehman Brothers and Me," personal blog article, August 2008

More
07 Jan 2009 17:56 #16258 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:A shakeup at Valley Games
All I know is that I bought a copy of Titan with a miss-aligned counter sheet, that I've wrote VG twice in the past 2 months, and have yet to recieve a response.

Tha Fuck?

I e-mailed Thaadd for some replacement cards for FoD, that my wife spilled a glass of water over, that I was willing to pay for, and boom: one e-mail response and two weeks later I had my cards in hand- free of charge.

How the fuck can't you answer people's e-mails? I don't care how fucking busy you are, or how many jobs you're working-- shit or get the fuck off the commode.

More
07 Jan 2009 18:00 #16259 by Shellhead
From everything that I've heard about Valley Games, their motto should be "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

More
07 Jan 2009 18:31 #16261 by Michael Barnes
Stand by, Billy...in a couple of weeks, you might get the "we're just three guys doing this in addition to our day jobs" response.

There's no excuse for the level of amateurism they've again and again (and again) acquitted themselves with. They put out a really professional, high quality product but their business sense is absolute garbage. At some point, either they need to step up and be professional or board the windows. Which in this case, is likely the windows of their houses.

More
07 Jan 2009 18:53 #16263 by Shellhead
Their hostage plan, requiring enough orders up front before they would publish a game, was a controversial but workable approach. But their reputation is so terrible now that they can't demand those pre-orders ever again.

More
07 Jan 2009 18:53 #16264 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:A shakeup at Valley Games
What really gets my goat about this is that I've worked in customer service, literally, my whole life and this kind of shit is unforgivable as far as I'm concerned. Not answering someone's e-mails is the online equivalent of walking up to someone who works in the store you're shopping at, asking them for some help-- only to have them pretend they didn't hear you and walk into the backstore.

One month... okay, sure. Fucking two? I'm starting to get the ill will towards VG now.

What pisses me off even more is that the only way I'll probably get a response is by stalking down one if the VG on TOS.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds