October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

AP and BSG: Fuck shit balls

More
11 Jan 2009 12:03 #16565 by SenorOcho
The only game of BSG I've played had both Cylons dealt in the initial loyalty setup. Then the President looked at multiple loyalty cards in the first couple of turns, pretty much murdering what the game seemed to be about (Not much reason to stay secret if the president looks at your card on turn 2 and throws you in the brig turn 3). Not very exciting.

Yeah, we killed the humans pretty good, but not fun at all. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2009 12:19 - 11 Jan 2009 12:20 #16566 by Gary Sax
Jur wrote:

I'm surprised by all the reports about heavy damage to Galactica, and I'm quite surprised (apart from the Cylon reveal effect) by it. The military side is not the hardest part, we find.

All depends on your crisis deck, which is what is great about the game. If you get a couple cards of invasion early in a jump you can really get hammered by the enemy because a lot of civvy ships have been spawned as well as the huge amount of raiders. In our 5 hour marathon we were down to only 3 undamaged vipers to protect our ships with and Galactica was being beat to hell.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2009 12:20 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Jan 2009 12:24 #16568 by Bulwyf
Humans definitely have an uphill struggle in front of them. Our first 4 games were easy Cylon victories. Finally once everyone had some experience the humans started to improve their performance and their cylon detecting skills. Our first victory came in a 4 player game where the Sympathizer came our before any resources were into the red. It was real rougn as the game came down to a 2 humans vs 2 cylons standoff. The last round could have gone either way. Fortunately the humans won with a combination of luck and clever use of "Executive Order" cards.

-Will

More
11 Jan 2009 13:13 #16571 by southernman
Gary Sax wrote:

Jur wrote:

I'm surprised by all the reports about heavy damage to Galactica, and I'm quite surprised (apart from the Cylon reveal effect) by it. The military side is not the hardest part, we find.

All depends on your crisis deck, which is what is great about the game. If you get a couple cards of invasion early in a jump you can really get hammered by the enemy because a lot of civvy ships have been spawned as well as the huge amount of raiders. In our 5 hour marathon we were down to only 3 undamaged vipers to protect our ships with and Galactica was being beat to hell.

Yeah - again. If the two cylons come out early enough and just concentrate on crisis cards (picking the worst of two) and moving the cylon fleet, they can get (with a bit of luck with the cards) the board filled frequently with civ ships and numerous cylon ships. They can slowly get rid of your vipers and knock down population as they take out the civs, while you're losing other resources on the non-attack crisis cards and trying to save some fuel. Then they have their Super Crisis cards, which if they reveal early they can afford to wait for the best time to play them. In that 5-player game I mentioned, we lost in the end when they got through all our vipers and took out 4 civs in one go. We did have a poor run of cards at one time where we only moved one jump square in 7 cards .... ouch.

More
11 Jan 2009 13:38 #16574 by Mr. Bistro
Gary Sax wrote:

Why can't I live around you guys, so I don't have to do shit like wargame with some Christian dude from TOS I don't feel comfortable swearing or using the lord's name in vain in front of or play BSG with a bunch of AP fun murdering fuckers?

Poor bastard. Playing BSG and not being able to swear isn't playing BSG.

More
11 Jan 2009 13:47 - 11 Jan 2009 13:48 #16578 by Gary Sax
They were, thankfully, two different incidents. I could and did swear in the BSG game. The FAB: Bulge game was with a BGG guy who was super christian. A really nice guy and everything and not a fun murderer otherwise, but...
Last edit: 11 Jan 2009 13:48 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Jan 2009 16:31 - 11 Jan 2009 16:33 #16598 by Michael Barnes
I'm at the point where I'll only play games with people if I'm SURE they're not going to ruin it by staring at the board when it's their turn. I rarely game with strangers or people I haven't gamed with before.

AP is the number one cause of Fun Murder. Nobody wants to sit and "let you think about your turn". I understand taking a minute in a really close game or a really tight situation, but even then it isn't important enough to consider for more than a couple of seconds.

People take games too seriously on many levels, and as was mentioned people who play games to demonstrate their intelligence are usually prime AP-wielding Fun Murderers.

I've had people snip at me when I'm running a game for rushing them...but I'm sitting there with five people at the table and I'm not going to let you sit and dwell for five minutes on what the fuck you're going to do.

It's pretty telling that most seriously AP-afflicted gamers look like they spend more time thinking about their turn than they do what they're going to wear for the day or what they're going to do with their lives.

Ken B. almost got busted for AP during our game of WAR ON TERROR yesterday. It was his first game and he wasn't aware that the only strategy was to blow shit up.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2009 16:33 by Michael Barnes.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:10 - 11 Jan 2009 17:12 #16600 by Gary Sax
Maybe we need to all carry AP yellow and red cards or something. Give out the red and the player has to leave the table, lose the game and is "sent off."

I'd also like to emphasize that one of my biggest problems is that on many of your turns in BSG, one best move is obvious. Thinking about those types of moves is a bad, bad sign.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2009 17:12 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:13 #16602 by DeletedUser
Sounds too Euro. I reckon a pool ball in a sock would get to the point a lot quicker.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:16 #16604 by Gary Sax
Yeah, true, or the old sack of doorknobs.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:26 #16607 by Space Ghost
Gary Sax wrote:

Maybe we need to all carry AP yellow and red cards or something. Give out the red and the player has to leave the table, lose the game and is "sent off."

I'd also like to emphasize that one of my biggest problems is that on many of your turns in BSG, one best move is obvious. Thinking about those types of moves is a bad, bad sign.

A fucking punch to the face is what I recommend. I hate people who stare at the board. I usually play pretty quickly on everything, unless it is a game that I haven't played before. If I start to take more than 45 seconds or so, I start felling bad about wasting everyone's time.

P.S. -- I might be making it to Champaign sometime this semester. If I do, I will let you know and maybe we can play a game of something. Like Michael, I am reluctant to play with strangers, but anyone on this site will get the green light from me.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:30 #16608 by Gary Sax
Spaceghost--let me know if you do and we should play something.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:42 #16612 by ubarose
I have one good friend that takes a long time on his turn. I yank his chain about it, but I still would rather play with him than with most other people. I just know that we will be playing a leisurely game. We play at my house. I usually put something on to cook that requires most of the day, and tend to it when it's my friend's turn. I do the laundry. He doesn't complain if I have to answer the phone, or I have to deal with a kid. We've even done beer runs during a game. It took us 12 hours to play Android.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:46 #16614 by Gary Sax
You're a better person than I in that respect, Uba. I don't think I could take it. And it's not because I'm a Very Serious Boardgamer.

More
11 Jan 2009 17:51 #16617 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:AP and BSG: Fuck shit balls
OMG, you're not one of them serious boardgamers are you?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds