October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

AP and BSG: Fuck shit balls

More
20 Jan 2009 14:26 #17622 by Schweig!
Yes, but DOMINION and RACE FOR THE GALAXY are there. AGRICOLA ranked second before it was even published in the US.

These tossers couldn't recognize a great game if you smashed it over their heads.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2009 15:29 #17626 by Space Ghost
Schweig! wrote:

Yes, but DOMINION and RACE FOR THE GALAXY are there. AGRICOLA ranked second before it was even published in the US.

These tossers couldn't recognize a great game if you smashed it over their heads.

Probably because the group as a whole is a bunch of fools. BSG would take Dominion out in the alley and beat the shit out of it -- there really is no comparison in terms of what is the better game.

More
20 Jan 2009 15:31 #17629 by Gary Sax
Because TOSers don't like direct interaction boardgames where you have to speak to each other or act outside of your tiny specified turn window.

More
20 Jan 2009 15:57 #17631 by Shellhead
Gary Sax wrote:

Because TOSers don't like direct interaction boardgames where you have to speak to each other or act outside of your tiny specified turn window.

They also tend to shy away from even simulated violence, such as found in most AT games and war games. The idea of directly attacking an opponent's position is too aggressive, probably makes them worried about getting smacked.

I was recently playing a 2-player game of Pirate King with a friend of mine who likes many AT games but prefers EuroGames. He spent most of the whole game playing it like a Euro, grabbing unowned ports but paying docking fees if they were mine. Meanwhile, I almost always went on the attack against his ports. Twice, I really needed to do so, to set up trade routes so that I could build fortifications there. The other times were just for fun, though I did lose quite a few crew members in the course of play. When I won the game, I had just two crew members and one cannon. Anyway, the overall difference in our style of play was pretty obvious, and since we were playing an AT game, my strategy prevailed.

More
20 Jan 2009 17:21 #17647 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:AP and BSG: Fuck shit balls
Schweig! wrote:

Why is this game still not in TOS's Top Ten?

Schweig, damnit!

We agree on most things (as I happened to notice just yet in the WWII in popular culture thread on TOS), but for what reason do you bring up TOS in this thread. This was an interesting thread about strategies and balance of play and now it is degenerating in TOS-bashing. Which is fun, which is completely justified, but also gets boring very soon and just confirms the impression that F:AT is a place to whine about TOS. AND it detracts from the good discussion. Go thread jacking in Bitch Fest.

More
20 Jan 2009 18:05 - 20 Jan 2009 18:07 #17658 by Gary Sax
Back on topic:

How would you make an expansion for BSG? It's a very self contained game

The obvious route is to put more cards in there. The BSG boardgame is obviously just from the 1st season. Nearly all the crises are the first season, as are most of the characters and the destination is the same. So the obvious thing is to make a new crisis deck with situations from season 2, then season 3, then season 4, wring blood out of this stone and maybe sprinkle in some alternate skill cards each time as well. I'm not sure I'd buy it, I don't think it's necessary--however I've got a, I think, *much* more interesting idea for a bigger box expansion:

*Spoilers for someone who hasn't seen BSG the series and wants to*

Ok so the second half of season 2 is all about the introduction of the Pegasus (a second battlestar) into the fleet. It is more advanced, has a totally different crew and the crews and admirals don't trust each other. So I think you might be able to work in more paranoia into the game by introducing a new small Pegasus locations board w/better vipers and weapons, making the Cylon crisis cards far more powerful but having two separate ships with each player being a crew member from the Pegasus or the Galactica. I don't know how it would play out but I think that would be fairly fascinating. Then you somehow make objectives for each ship to try to swing the civilian ships to its plan of action--say still one president but make it so there are two admirals and each one has different loyalties and goals (wants to win over the other admiral) but still both want to survive against the Cylons overall.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2009 18:07 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Jan 2009 21:03 #17678 by Dr. Mabuse
Gary Sax wrote:

Back on topic:

How would you make an expansion for BSG?

Additional crisis and destination cards, more characters. I'd be fearful of upsetting the balance and pacing of the base game.

Your big box expansion does sound intriguing, though.

More
20 Jan 2009 21:19 #17681 by Mr Skeletor
drmabuse00 wrote:

Gary Sax wrote:

Back on topic:

How would you make an expansion for BSG?

Additional crisis and destination cards, more characters. I'd be fearful of upsetting the balance and pacing of the base game.

Agree!

More
20 Jan 2009 21:19 #17682 by bfkiller
I'd like to see a variant that introduces the known Cylons (Helfer, Stockwell, Lawless, etc.) as unique, playable characters.

More
20 Jan 2009 21:40 #17689 by Michael Barnes
No expansion. Instead, a "Season 2" game that uses the same mechanics, takes place on the Pegasus (spoiler, sorry) with Admiral Kane as a player character that's actually more dangerous than the Cylons. Then, a Season 3 game that takes place on...well, you know the rest.

More
20 Jan 2009 21:49 #17691 by hancock.tom
One option would be a small box deal with new skill cards and maybe some other optional stuff. I find that approach unlikely.

FFG will probably add +2 players, lots of new skill cards, and maybe some minis for some of the chits from the base game, like plastic basestars, civilian ships, etc.

More
20 Jan 2009 23:09 #17710 by KingPut
I've been playing with some of the alternate characters http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/37712
Helena Cain
Kendra Shaw
Louanne “Kat” Katraine
Felix Gaeta
Anastasia “Dee” Dualla
Samuel T. Anders
“Doc” Cottle
Cally Henderson
Gina “Number Six” Inviere
Tory Foster
Billy Keikeiya
I was sick of having Chief in every game because he's the only support character in the base game. Last game we had Doc and Kat. Every time somebody ended up in sick bay they'd threaten Doc by saying they'd throw him in the brig if he didn't heal them. Doc ended up being one of the Cylons in the end. So far I haven't seen any problems with the new characters.

More
21 Jan 2009 00:47 #17718 by Gary Sax
Hell yeah Felix Gaeta.

More
21 Jan 2009 05:16 #17727 by Mr Skeletor
Would his disadvantage be hobbling around on one leg?

More
21 Jan 2009 07:19 #17733 by KingPut
When the guy originally made up Felix card he listed his disadvantage as hero worship (I would have listed it as ass kisser) but basically he couldn't do anything against the Prez or Admiral like throw them in the brig. They changed his disadvantage to self preservation so that if he has a choice on a skill check he can't be sent sick bay or brig.

I personally, like the original cards the guy made up. They had a lot of funny advantages and disadvantages to each player. For example the the original cards had Doc as a Cantankerous Chain Smoker. And for #6 her original skill was seduction where she was able to steal a random card from a player on her turn.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds