October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Warrior Knights

More
06 Dec 2013 13:24 #166912 by Cambyses

Jeff White wrote: Cambyses,

EDIT: Here's the link to the missions. They give barons extra influence points at the end of the FFG game. I haven't thought much about how I'd incorporate these in GW, but if conquering cities isn't likely, having a plan b to shoot for may help keep players interested. fortressat.com/forum/34-pimp-my-game/694...nights-crown-a-glory

This is fantastic, thank you! It might be fun to try a game with these included, although it would take some finagling. I ended up putting my stickers (which were still sticky after 27 years) on blocks just like the ones you've described. I'm also glad to hear that I don't need to bother with the newer components. It was going to be hard justifying that one to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2013 13:31 #166914 by Mr. White

DukeofChutney wrote: alright, i've been convinced to put down £5 on ebay for a copy. How long does it play? How well does it play with 3?

I think it plays great with three, though four or five is just a bit better for negotiations and such during the assembly phase. I'll gladly play three anytime though.

Length, I'd say on average about the same as FFG. However, it doesn't feel like it. Turns go by faster here so you're more actively involved. Also, I feel you have a little more control over length here. The rules state 'play until one person controls half of the unrazed kingdom cities'. no reason you couldn't switch that to 'however has the most kingdom cities in three hours' or 'who has the most cities after x number of years' (dressing up turns as years or 6mo periods for fluff). It's all good.

More
06 Dec 2013 13:48 - 06 Dec 2013 13:51 #166921 by wkover
I've had some good plays of FFG Warrior Knights. I finally gave up on it, though. Some great ideas, but overall a bit of a mess. The card combat - where you always shoot for the "victory" win, if you can - was ultimately what killed it for me. Also, WK just doesn't scale well. It needs a smaller map with fewer players, not just razed cities.

When we played, we always used the expansion (a definite improvement) and variant rules: (1) base/road movement is 2/5 rather than 1/3, and (2) players receive immediate control of the first 100-strength city in which they place one of their nobles. (The second rule, in particular, makes it a game of player vs. player rather than player vs. neutrals.) 15-18 influence per player in the influence pool is also highly recommended.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2013 13:51 by wkover.

More
06 Dec 2013 14:05 - 06 Dec 2013 21:14 #166928 by Mr. White

wkover wrote: Also, WK just doesn't scale well. It needs a smaller map with fewer players, not just razed cities.

Again, I don't really feel a lower player count is an issue in the GW game. The number of spaces on the board is the same for both, but the assembly phase happens a lot more frequently so you do interact with the players more often. Plus, with assembly motions, offices, etc being implemented at a faster clip, there's plenty of impact on what the nobles do on the map. So, true, GW may not have more direct noble vs noble battles (though I feel there's plenty) than FFG, there isn't a sense of fighting neutral8s only for half the game.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Fate deck here. I don't recall if there are similar in the FFG version, but there are plenty of Fate events in the GW game that will move your nobles for you. Cards such as 'Council Meet' where you randomly determine an area and nobles with titles have to go there for a meeting. Granted you can't attack each other until _all_ nobles have had a chance to move, but cards like that can put nobles from different barons in proximity right quick. Again though, some may not like the Fate deck to have events that powerful. However, if you can't handle the responsibility, perhaps you shouldn't hold the office...

EDIT: EDIT: It also needs mentioning that in GW WK _all_your nobles move during _every_ movement phase. So even there, with the same number of board spaces as FFG and still only moving 1/3 you pretty much get to cruise around as Sag mentioned. The map size is fine.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2013 21:14 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
06 Dec 2013 17:06 - 06 Dec 2013 17:08 #166957 by wadenels
Length, I'd say on average about the same as FFG. However, it doesn't feel like it. Turns go by faster here so you're more actively involved. Also, I feel you have a little more control over length here. The rules state 'play until one person controls half of the unrazed kingdom cities'. no reason you couldn't switch that to 'however has the most kingdom cities in three hours' or 'who has the most cities after x number of years' (dressing up turns as years or 6mo periods for fluff). It's all good.[/quote]

Also on length: GW WK is easier to look at. FFG's (and a lot if modern games') graphic design is just busier. Looking at a busy graphic design and trying to process it for a couple hours makes that time feel longer. GW WK graphic design is simpler and maybe even more entertaining. It's like comparing Talisman 2e and 4e game boards: the latter just feels heavier and busier, even though they aren't much different.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2013 17:08 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds