October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games That Made Other Games Obsolete

More
16 Jan 2009 00:37 - 16 Jan 2009 00:39 #17221 by Octavian
I traded away Caylus after getting Caylus Magna Carta.

San Juan has been replaced with RftG.

Carcassonne: The City has replaced all the other iterations.

The Fury of Dracula has replaced Scotland Yard.

History of the World has almost (but not quite) replaced Samurai Swords - both of which easily outstrip RISK.

Ummm....Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation Deluxe replaced regular LotR:tC?

Runebound preemptively made Prophecy and WoW:tAG obsolete.

I'll agree that Descent did DOOM but better.

Blue Moon has replaced a lot of other hand-management centered 2 player games.

Oh...and Loopin Louie has kicked Hungry Hungry Hippos to the curb.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2009 00:39 by Octavian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2009 02:38 #17228 by dave
Through the Ages made Age of Empires III CCG obsolete. Of course, we gave up on AoE3 CCG long ago, but if we hadn't...

More
16 Jan 2009 09:04 #17237 by Ken B.
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I just have to say "Million Dollar Mimring" is the funniest username ever.

That's my brother Jeremy, Frank. Don't encourage him.

War of the Rings -> Obliterated Lord of the Rings Risk
Heroscape -> Heroclix rendered needless
You really only need Wallenstein or Shogun, and preference of one map or the other will render the other game obsolete/needless
Last Night on Earth -> Zombies!!!
MLB Sportsclix -> MLB Showdown
Battlestar Galactica -> Many other co-ops
A Game of Thrones -> Diplomacy
Nexus Ops -> Vanilla Risk
Yahtzee Free For All -> Yahtzee and all its offshoot variants (To Court the King)

A lot of games you'd expect to be obsoleted either have their own theme or independant charms...Doom with its sci-fi theme, to name one.

More
16 Jan 2009 09:52 #17240 by Chapel
Struggle of Empires morphed into Conquest of Empire which made the original Gamemaster Conquest of Empire obsolete.

More
16 Jan 2009 10:07 #17243 by ChristopherMD
BradH wrote:

It may be an unfair one, and one I'm not happy about, but Descent rendered Doom The Boardgame obsolete.

No, it didn't. DOOM was already obsolete due to Space Hulk. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think Descent obsoleted DOOM. I think comments have shown they are different enough that some people prefer Descent and some prefer DOOM. Personally I can't imagine ever replacing DOOM with Descent. So to me its far from obsolete.

More
16 Jan 2009 10:09 #17244 by Matt Thrower
Ken B. wrote:

War of the Rings -> Obliterated Lord of the Rings Risk
You really only need Wallenstein or Shogun, and preference of one map or the other will render the other game obsolete/needless
Battlestar Galactica -> Many other co-ops
A Game of Thrones -> Diplomacy

LotR Risk was never worth playing in the first place. Seriously - it's my most hated "proper" game ever, an idiotic piece of design where the winner is usually determined by the dice roll to see when the game ends. Just save yourself two hours and roll the damn dice to see who wins and go play something more rewarding instead. The FFG edition of WotR though *did* render the totally different SPI game of the same name obsolete. Thanks for reminding me about that one.

The Shogun/Wallenstein differential isn't just the map, although that's probably the biggest thing. Wallenstein has random events that just spring on everyone whilst in Shogun everyone knows what event is coming and can plan for it. Shogun is also language independent but Wallenstein is in German, which is the killer for me. I marginally prefer the gameplay in Wally, but I have a funny wibbly thing about foreign-language games.

BSG only really rendered SoC obsolete, and that wasn't worth playing in the first place. Now I haven't played BSG, but I'll be amazed if it's semi co-op setup is better than that in the original Fury of Dracula. It's also not a fully co-op game so it doesn't really render those obsolete - and even if it was fully co-op, could you seriously argue it made Arkham Horror "obsolete"? This is no critique of BSG, but I think its set-up with largely co-op play and the paranoia induced by the possible presence of Cylons is pretty much unique and is what gives the game much of its charm. It sits in its own niche and doesn't really invalidate any other game.

Suggesting that AGoT has somehow made Diplomacy pointless is just nuts. I can only assume you've never played Diplomacy.

More
16 Jan 2009 10:49 #17246 by Black Barney
Cool thread topic..

I think that;

Race for the Galaxy makes Dominion obsolete (even though Dominion was made second)
Race for the Galaxy for SURE makes San Juan obsolete but that game was never good anyway
Puerto Rico makes Settlers of Catan obsolete
Twilight Struggle makes Risk and Axis and Allies obsolete (I can't imagine playing the latter when I could play the former)
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization makes Civilization obsolete (that's obvious tho)
Commands & Colours: Ancients makes BAttlelore obsolete (again, this makes zero sense cuz C&C was made first but it's almost impossible to play Battlelore if you have C&C in your closet)
Samurai sorta makes Tigris & Euphrates obsolete. It's a more fun tile placement game
Agricola makes Power Grid obsolete (I think they appeal to the same kind of gamer and you can't really justify playing Power Grid when you have Agricola laying around)

worst of all, having too many board game friends makes great 2-player games like Twilight Struggle obsolete. I just never seem to have 2 players only

More
16 Jan 2009 10:55 #17247 by ChristopherMD
Black Barney wrote:

I disagree here. Mainly because I can't figure out why you'd even compare them.

More
16 Jan 2009 11:15 #17248 by Schweig!
LE HAVRE makes AGRICOLA obsolete. ;)

OK, to me this is a choice between plague and cholera, but LE HAVRE is really the better game of the two and they are similar.

More
16 Jan 2009 11:20 #17249 by Bulwyf
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but...

Black Barney wrote:

Cool thread topic..

I think that...

Puerto Rico makes Settlers of Catan obsolete...
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization makes Civilization obsolete (that's obvious tho)

Dude you need to put the Koolaid down.

-Will

More
16 Jan 2009 12:00 #17253 by NeonPeon
Bulwyf wrote:

Dude you need to put the Koolaid down.

I was gonna say the crackpipe...

More
16 Jan 2009 14:03 #17262 by Shellhead
Necronomonopoly has rendered Monopoly completely obsolete.

More
16 Jan 2009 14:50 #17267 by dan daly

Twilight Struggle makes Risk and Axis and Allies obsolete (I can't imagine playing the latter when I could play the former)

I have a lot more fun with Settlers than with Puerto Rico.

Twilight Struggle is one my favorite games ever...but it's exclusively a 2 player game. Unless you never played with them more than 2, I don't see how Risk and A&A could be replaced by Twilight Struggle. They completely different types of games.

More
16 Jan 2009 15:39 #17273 by timeLESS
Yesterday some girls asked me to join their gaming group. We played twister. In the nude. I will never play another game in my life.

More
16 Jan 2009 15:59 #17280 by moss_icon
Every big new Euro game release renders the previous big new Euro game release obsolete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds