October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Arkham Horror House Rules, suggestions, etc.

More
25 Jan 2009 18:15 #18308 by Count Orlok
If we're going to go all out... I'd love to see a Arkham Horror adaptation of Cthulhu Dark Ages. That would be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2009 20:54 #18311 by hancock.tom
I'm totally ready for the Hellboy expansion

Or a hellboy standalone game using the system

More
25 Jan 2009 22:13 #18317 by Count Orlok
There is a modern day Call of Cthulhu rpg called "Delta Green". It would probably be popular in the Arkham Horror format, but I'm personally more inclined to pre-WWII era personally.

More
26 Jan 2009 04:28 #18328 by BradHB
There are several versions of the BPRD floating around on the FFG message-board and on TOS. There's also quite a nice idea in a The Devil vs Tenacious D pack I've seen mentioned, but I haven't seen it myself, so I can't comment on the actual quality.

I never liked Delta Green it screamed "This was supposed to be an X-Files RPG, but we couldn't get the license!". When I run Call of Cthulhu it's almost always 1920's or 1890's, with occasional forays into other settings.

I'd like to see a Silent Hill mod.

More
26 Jan 2009 14:31 #18414 by Mavhunter
The way I dealt with the ally deck problem is to draw a deck of 11 as the rules state and place them by Ma's, this represents the 11 allies that are "booked" at Ma's and they are the only available allies to use Ma's location. The rest of the allies are placed by the board and if an encounter references an ally in the off the board stack the ally is brought in as if available; to compensate for the extra ally a random ally is chosen from Ma's stack to be placed in the off the board stack. Any allies that are returned to the box are still considered to be unavailable. Using this variant I am able to keep the original "ally discard to terror raise" ratio and also have access to all allies from the encounters.

So far, the game has never discarded enough allies to make the "switch one ally for another" mechanic invalid (by there being no more allies in Ma's stack.

As a side note, I also allow investigators in the FIRST area of OWs to stay there on their movement in order to draw one free clue token (clues from other worlds). Doing so makes them have another OW encounter in the same area. I find it to be a good balance of help and danger.

More
27 Jan 2009 11:02 #18554 by Shellhead
BradH wrote:

I never liked Delta Green it screamed "This was supposed to be an X-Files RPG, but we couldn't get the license!". When I run Call of Cthulhu it's almost always 1920's or 1890's, with occasional forays into other settings.

I'd like to see a Silent Hill mod.

I agree regarding Delta Green. It never interested me, because by the time it came along, the X-Files was getting downright boring with all the conspiracy crap.

Silent Hill... I think that I've seen an adaptation for an rpg for Silent Hill, but I can't remember if it was for Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness. Ask at www.yog-sothoth.com and they might be able to confirm this.

More
27 Jan 2009 11:48 - 27 Jan 2009 11:52 #18562 by Matt Thrower
To answer the OP, I never fight the GOO - if it wakes up, it's a loss. Oh and I usually call the terror track hitting 10 a loss unless we're at 5 seals or down to 1 or 2 gates (i.e. a win looks possible) because I can't be bothered with the bookkeeping on a board without a monster limit.

Shellhead wrote:

I agree regarding Delta Green. It never interested me, because by the time it came along, the X-Files was getting downright boring with all the conspiracy crap.

No way, I thought Delta Green was great. I agree that the conspiracy stuff made the X-files really dull, but with DG you could pick and choose how deeply you wanted to delve in to any particular area. After all, you had lots of choice, especially when the second sourcebook came out. The basic premise - that the mythos "aliens" were the basis behind UFOlogy was pure genius.

Silent Hill... I think that I've seen an adaptation for an rpg for Silent Hill, but I can't remember if it was for Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness. Ask at www.yog-sothoth.com and they might be able to confirm this.

I sketched out an idea for a Silent Hill boardgame once. The idea was that each character started off not knowing what they were doing in Silent Hill (a face down "role" card) and had to figure it out: there was an element like in Cluedo where you could guess, but if you got it wrong, you'd be penalized. You could summon monsters to impede other players, or attack them directly but by doing so it made it more difficult to pick up clues for yourself. Conversely co-operating with others garnered you rewards but made it easier for the other player to win. So the game was a balancing act in which doing evil made it harder to escape the clutches of the town - much like the premise of the franchise. But I'm sad and lazy and I'd rather spend my time playing games that someone else has playtested than mock up and play my own crappy designs until they're fit to show to anyone else, so like all my other design sketches, it never went anywhere :)
Last edit: 27 Jan 2009 11:52 by Matt Thrower.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds