October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

WAR OF EDADH early report

More
22 Jan 2009 13:48 #17919 by Michael Barnes
So the Brothers Pyne sent me a review copy of WAR OF EDADH (after totally calling me out for criticizing that stupid purple elf with the gatling pistol) and it arrived yesterday via Royal Mail. I've had a chance to look at it and I'm going to do a full review for Gameshark but here's the lowdown, since they're selling copies of it pretty quick and you might want one before they're gone again.

I'm actually kind of shocked. The game, so far, feels....budabudabudabudabuda...kind of awesome.

I didn't expect much, but I had read the tutorial on their website and it looked pretty interesting if only because it was a fairly fresh approach to the tactical battle game. I was also pretty impressed at how much attention they had given to creating a very unique fantasy game world that isn't just elves and orcs. It's very fresh, kind of reminiscent of Rackham's stuff, and the unique illustration style turns out to be totally appropriate in context.

The production is shockingly nice for a $22 US game. Yes, I said $22. I think shipping is like $8. It comes in a small box kind of like a PC game with some nice shiny print. It looks cool, even with that illustration I hated on it. You get 120 cards, a pile of cardstock scorecards, a baggie full of plastic markers (custom molded, yo!), and two rulebooks. The cards have a muted, monochrome look that will likely bedevil the elderly-at-40 boardgamer crowd, but I think it has a cool, almost eerie look that sets it apart.

I've only played through the rules as presented in "Way of the Apprentice", kind of the core rules and I think the game is really damn good. It's not anything like BATTLEGROUNDS, BLUE MOON, or any CCG whatsoever. It's more like UP FRONT. Yeah, that UP FRONT. In fact, I think it's very, very similar in a lot of ways but slightly easier to comprehend on a conceptual level. No "relative range" here- it's ballistic, charge, or melee level.

The simplest "mode" of the game is a fun, quick punch-up between two small armies. Gameplay is really unique. You play a card that provides your combat value (kind of like your initiative), how much it costs in "Mastery Points (kind of like endurance) to play it, and any bonuses against particular other cards (the 1 card for example has defense bonuses against the 12). Each player has an identical deck.

Once the winner is determined there, some numbers are compared and you arrive at how much damage was done, if there was any guarding, and whatnot. If the winner did enough damage to meet the discard value of the embattled card, it's thrown out.

That's the simple overview, but the game is really interesting on a lot of levels. There's no luck and a lot of stats which worried me, but there's also a lot of bluff, surprise, drama, and strategy in playing cards. If you ever run your mastery points below the amount of damage you've taken, it's curtains. It's a neat system that self-balances without feeling gamey or trite.

There's tons of optional rules and expanded modes of play that bring tactics cards, leaders, cavalry, ballistics, terrain effects, and other variables into play for a fuller experience. Multiplayer and solo options are available and it comes with fries and a shake. But don't be fooled, EDADH is really more of a card-based wargame than anything else. I could, believe it or not, see GMT publishing this game.

So I'm kind of excited...it's a fresh design, original setting, interesting and fun gameplay. I'm going to put it through the ringer over the next couple of weeks but until then you guys definitely ought to check it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:25 #17926 by Schweig!
WAR FOR EDADH is what it's called.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:29 #17928 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:WAR OF EDADH early report
The game looks promising and the artwork is great, looks like something that can replace my dust-gathering WH40k armies. However I don't see a chance to buy it for a reasonable prize as it will be far more expansive for me with the shipping to Europe :(

More
22 Jan 2009 14:47 #17933 by Sagrilarus
I very much recommend. I got a brief play in before lending it to a buddy, and the action is pretty neat. Had to get my reading glasses out, but it was worth it.

Sag.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:54 #17938 by san il defanso
Barnes, you and Tom Vasel are on the same page on this one. Any thoughts?

I actually do want to try it out. The early reports are good, so I might just get it on a whim sometime.

More
22 Jan 2009 15:05 #17943 by Michael Barnes
Shut up Schweig...it's actually FOR THE WAR OF THE EDADHS.

Tom Vasel? Name rings a bell...something to do with petroleum jelly?

Sydo- I don't think I'd look at the game as a 40K replacement...there's nothing remotely similar in terms of setting or gameplay. You should check on shipping, like I said, it's only like $22 US.

More
22 Jan 2009 15:35 #17951 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:WAR OF EDADH early report
Well I thought about 4Ok immediately after seeing the cover - I know an Eldar when I see one. I didn't think of it as a complete replacement, just a tabletop wargame with cards and nice art and setting. Damn I have to get rid of my Chaos army but can't push myself to deal with the ppl playing it I have never seen such a nest of dickheads as the club they are playing in.

More
22 Jan 2009 16:17 #17961 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that guy's kind of a low-rent Eldar, isn't he?

They've got a bunch of races lined up, some pretty odd stuff.

But keep in mind it's not much of a tabletop game- no measuring, position, or anything like that. LIke I said, it's more like UP FRONT with abstracted position/terrain.

More
22 Jan 2009 17:25 #17973 by Count Orlok
I'm just going to say it now, but the name is retarded.

If it's going to use modern English, "War of Edath" would be a better approximation than "War of Edadh" which makes no damn sense whatsoever. "War of Edaðh" or "WAR OF EDAÐ" would work.

"Ðð" is a totally different letter from "Dd" and is more of a "eth/lth" sound. I know they're just trying to seem edgy and interesting, but it would make a hell of a lot more sense just spelling it "edath".

This has been your Nordic nerd moment of the day.

More
22 Jan 2009 17:32 #17975 by Shellhead
Judging by the cover art, they could have called this game War of Egad.

More
22 Jan 2009 18:37 #17989 by Michael Barnes
Orlok- I totally hear you. I thought the name was really dumb too. It is "edath" apparently, but that still means nothing to pretty much everyone. I can see the name actually being a barrier to acceptance more than a differentiator because it _does_ sound dumb.

Wait until you see some of the other fantasy names in there...hoo boy!

We're already getting at my main criticism of the game so far...it simulataneously lacks polish and good taste. Part of it is because it's a microscopic publisher, but it's produced well enough that some better choices could have been made in terms of things like this.

More
22 Jan 2009 22:57 #18033 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

It is "edath" apparently, but that still means nothing to pretty much everyone.

Oh, good to know. I thought you pronounced "War For Edadh", like how you would ask for water, after having had your teeth drilled.

More
22 Jan 2009 23:05 #18037 by Sagrilarus
It's a pillbox by the way, not a gatling. Ok, now I'm getting picky, but what woman would go out on the town in her best armor and bring a gatling pistol?

Sag.

More
23 Jan 2009 02:29 #18050 by Michael Barnes
Apparently a Huzuo-Daa woman, or whatever it is they're called, would.

Played with some of the expanded rules tonight that develop terrain concepts further, add Battle Masters and Combat Master (one gives a unit your choice of several bonuses, the other gives you access to tactics cards). Also used standards, which are one-shot bonuses...the stuff adds a lot of flexibility and interesting tactical consideration.

The game has zero luck and I'm kind of afraid that the "compare numbers" mechanics might put some folks off...but since it's a one-on-one thing, that kind of gameplay is more interesting and dramatic. One thing I really like is that the Mastery Cards don't do that whole "play them all until you run out, then reshuffle" thing. You always have access to all of them. The question isn't so much when to play them, but when you can afford to play them and when playing the really strong cards will provide the biggest effect without weakening you.

It's shaping up pretty nicely all told. The graphic design is cool, but it is a little confusing. Too many symbols that look very similar and some confusing terminology (how "Guard Defense" represents a unit's ability to cut through armor boggles my mind) make it somewhat opaque, but once you get used to some of its idiosyncracies it's not a big deal.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds