× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk about... Wiz-War

More
25 Feb 2018 08:33 #263972 by drewcula
My God. Those resin casts are beautiful. CC, are those Hirst molds? I think I could be up for such a challenge, but I'm also aware of the time suck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2018 08:54 - 25 Feb 2018 09:10 #263973 by dontbecruel


Amazing 5-player deathmatch with one of the kids’ friends last night, recorded here for posterity.
Our older boy cast the gravity spell that means you can’t pick up treasures, and powered it for 6 turns (a very long time in a 5p game). Instead of the game turning into an overlong slog, there was a beautiful eruption of wiz-violence when we all realised we couldn’t win by treasures. There were beasts and totems crowded into corners all over the board. At the crescendo moment, the guest’s snake spirit killed our younger son (in big man form) to take victory. We sent him home flush-faced and pumped with glory, to nag his parents to buy him his own copy of the game. A good evening’s work all round.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2018 09:10 by dontbecruel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Gary Sax, Not Sure, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, birdman37, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 12:40 #264437 by Not Sure
Hey look what I found! An old Trap!

No really, I opened the laptop I almost never use, and had an open tab to the the pre-timewarp conversation with Colorcrayons about rebuilding.

Here's your wall of text for posterity. It's a little wonky since there are four posts in here, sometimes quoting each other. I did what could, formatting-wise.


Not Sure post

Colorcrayons wrote: Sooooo... I went into my storage unit to dig up Wiz-War. Not there.

In fact, a lot of my stuff has been gone through inside. Police reports and chats with Storage management later, the end result if that I am still out of Wiz-War. That was a lot of work and money to make that set with Hirst arts and a ton of other bits customized for it.

Oh well. I hope whomever has it now will love it and play it more than I was able to. If so, I'm fine with that.

Luckily, I still have all my molds for the board and custom bits. The real shame is that since FFG are taking their sweet ass time reprinting it (because "Stahr Woarz!!!!11! Huuurrrrrr11!!!1"), just going out to buy a new set isn't a realistic option.


That really sucks. Doubly so since Nick Dalton was selling a full FFG set, and literally just posted "Sold" recently.

But your style of making the best of this sounds pretty awesome. Let me see what I can help with off the top of my head.

Schools are in natural opposition to "Big Book of Spells". The iconography on them is basically just for sorting purposes. You should probably commit one way or another, or at least expect to mark up "extension schools" or something so you can find them again. The iconography for stuff like Attack and Counter was mostly just for internationalization. The old set very clearly marked Attacks, Counterspells, Neutrals, but with words. There were some clean-ups, but then some proofreading disasters like FFG's Wall of Earth.

An 85-ish card base deck and some school-based extensions (like creatures or totems) might work out really well. I can't say I was ever a huge fan of schools as the primary deck build. Their constraints that each school had to be playable and semi-balanced as its own set caused some issues in design. Make the base deck bigger than just Cantrips, and that issue starts to go away. Everyone wants Fireball and Waterbolt, not just Create Wall. Counterspells are really important too, just don't overdo them. The insistence that every school had to have counters is what made them common and boring.

We all got along fine for decades with creatures costing nothing in the old set. However, the creatures were mostly just annoying then. I'll be honest, I don't have a ton of experience with Bestial Forces in FFG. It was published around the time I ceased to have a regular group. I'll have to dig out the set and see how they handled it. My guess is, make them rare in the big deck, and all will be well. Probably the same thing for Transformations. You don't want Werewolf form to be an "I win every time" card, but if it's not memorable it won't get cast.

Bestial Forces especially was very hard, because (I think the NDAs are all expired) there was strong pressure from some factions in the beta groups to make everything balanced. I think some good ideas got sort of nerfed for that mythical "game balance". Wiz-War was never meant to be a balanced game, but for lots of reasons I was on the losing side of those arguments.

The one pre-FFG thing they never got back to was "Sticks" (ie wands). Those were rarely a massive issue in the game, but could be fun. Knowing someone had a repeatable attack was a good deterrent, and Warp Stick in particular could be a game-winner. Maybe revisit those? Otherwise, FFG invented more good things than they left behind. I will say, the key to good Wiz-War games is the Neutrals more than anything. Go back and pick good Neutrals that were left out (and some that they invented as well). More Neutrals makes for better crazy combos and memorable occurrences. One thing FFG really shied away from was board-changing effects, like Rotate Sector or the always hairy "Move Sector" (that could create head-scratching board topographies). Those cards were awesome when they came out of nowhere to change a game. "Simplicity" doomed them.

Color-coded boards was a terrible idea, but "Crack" counters was genius. That has to be back-ported to a personal edition. Tracking wall damage was extremely tedious in the old days, especially for punching out of a closet. I still feel the old win conditions (two treasures or last one standing) was best, even though it made for highly variable game times. I'm still iffy about numbers on spells. I think it made numbers too common, which meant you used them too much for movement, because you would always get more. Some spells also just sucked compared to their point value, and would thus rarely get cast.

Overall, I still love my homemade edition (pre-Ilya, from the older files) even more than my FFG set. It's ugly, but it has 8 board tiles to keep the game fresh, and a big big book of spells. I always threw some cards out (Pit and Illusion Wall for example), because they just weren't fun. "Illusion" anything in the old set was mostly argument fodder. A combined version, tending towards the old rules and spell mix, but with some updates like Cracks and some of the fun ideas created by FFG would really be the best of times.

I hope you build the best set ever. Like I always said on BGG: "Wiz-War is flexible. You aren't going to break it."


Colorcrayons post


Thanks for the response, Not Sure.


• If I do pursue an immutable core spell deck to build from, I'll likely put a small symbol somewhere that allows removal and replacement of cards from the deck. Good call.

• Agreed on the prudence on counters. I never felt as Glukose did regarding their complete removal, as that pendulum swing was too far.

• The cost of summoning creatures in FFGlandia is d4-1 life, then add that result to the creature's life dial. It's really not a huge deal, but I've seen a lot of occasions, including my own experience, where you simply cant summon a creature because you're too beat up to pay the cost. It often seemed to be another step simply for the sake of it.

• I know flash energy was made to reduce the efiicacy of treasure running, but this too, also seemed like just more rules without really benefiting the game greatly. Because of that, I never used flash energy. But I do use the random energy from the chaos school as often as possible.

• Transformations do work a lot better once you have access to creatures since these spells can affect you or a creature. But they seem so blah even then, I just cant work myself to bother trying to even fix them since we never use them. Though Slime form seems to have decent utility without it being overpowered. Im not sure what the problem is, as even stuff like Big Man existed back in the beginning and works even better since you can use it on creatures. it just seems so shamefully bad. Maybe its just me though.

• It would be nice to get back to "Sticks & Stones" puns as Jolly imagined it. I bet a few of those would be good sprinkled in conservatively. warp stick is powerful, but it doesn't seem so powerful as to be unfun. You can only use it once per turn. I think Sticks coming back is a great suggestion.

• I agree on neutral spells as well. Especially those which create interesting obstacles. Good idea. I'll make an effort to single them out first.

• One of the immediate things Kevin Wilson remarked on when playing Wiz-War with him for the first time, was his regret on how some key things were chosen to be changed by the producers. The colored sectors was firstmost in that complaint as was changing names like "Fill square with stone" into "stone block" since it removed a lot of potential spell options and made the design space smaller because of it. This was the reason why I left the sector colors identical and gave each home square their own magic circle, in case I wanted to ever remake the spell "move home square" (or whatever it was exactly called). A lot of things they did closed more doors than they opened. But he also hated the addition of artwork to spells and I actually think the choice to do that added a bit of charm and levity, so there is that.

• Cracks stay, as will 20 max life (which is a change that does impose a more reasonable time limit to the game). The secondary energy/numbers some spells have will stay as well, but I think I'll try to figure out a way to make the decision to discard a spell in favor of energy more difficult, because often that decision has no agony at all. I think this was difficult even for FFG to pull off, so I am not hopeful my results will be much better. This was one of the reasons why I like random energy so much. It helped counteract some of the dependability of secondary energy on spells.

• Stun effects will likely go. From game #1 I felt it never added anything other than more book keeping. But I will back up Christian Peterson on one thing he says he doesn't want in games FFG produces, and those are effects that cause a player to lose a turn. Fuuuck the "Trap!" card. It's even dumb in a game like Wiz-War.

• Most illusions weren't perceived to be too fun and caused headaches. Check. Do I be an utter cockbag and include Buddy? Survey says: Yes, as a contingency card if I can find people who aren't sugarblossoms that become butthurt easily. But I think it's best changed to an attack rather than a neutral. That card deserves to use a wizards attack action for the turn, so deep is its douchebaggery.

• I guess its time to hit the waybackmachine since Wizwar.com has been defunct for a couple years now.

edit:
• If you could reword Wall of Earth and Full Shield, how would you do it?



Not Sure post

Colorcrayons wrote: • The cost of summoning creatures in FFGlandia is d4-1 life, then add that result to the creature's life dial. It's really not a huge deal, but I've seen a lot of occasions, including my own experience, where you simply cant summon a creature because you're too beat up to pay the cost. It often seemed to be another step simply for the sake of it.


Totally needless. This is one of those things where in FFGland you need to pay for this thing you've received. Nobody ever had to pay health for the Brainstone or Wizardblade, even if they run around with it all game. Screw that rule. Old-style monsters were just given their health, and different monsters had different amounts. The biggest equalizers about monsters were that they are slow compared to wizards, so they just don't have the effect that might seem to.

Colorcrayons wrote: • I know flash energy was made to reduce the efiicacy of treasure running, but this too, also seemed like just more rules without really benefiting the game greatly. Because of that, I never used flash energy. But I do use the random energy from the chaos school as often as possible.


Random energy pre-dates FFG, but only as a novelty. Flash energy was literally just a way to try to make people spend it on spells, since the other rules basically force you into a footrace.

Colorcrayons wrote: • I agree on neutral spells as well. Especially those which create interesting obstacles. Good idea. I'll make an effort to single them out first.


Yeah, a good selection of those really makes the game. They are the most fun. They're also the most situational, unfortunately. That means with numbers printed on them it's often better to pitch a card rather than hold onto it to see what might happen. I find this less fun. Keeping numbers off Neutrals might be interesting, or it might just frustrate people as they accumulate weird crap in their hands that's useless.

I always found "make something from nothing" to be an inspiring part of the game, but I think the FFG design team strongly didn't want people to feel like they were lower on options than other players. So, every card makes you move at least 2 spaces! Look what happened then.

Colorcrayons wrote: • One of the immediate things Kevin Wilson remarked on when playing Wiz-War with him for the first time, was his regret on how some key things were chosen to be changed by the producers. The colored sectors was firstmost in that complaint as was changing names like "Fill square with stone" into "stone block" since it removed a lot of potential spell options and made the design space smaller because of it. This was the reason why I left the sector colors identical and gave each home square their own magic circle, in case I wanted to ever remake the spell "move home square" (or whatever it was exactly called). A lot of things they did closed more doors than they opened. But he also hated the addition of artwork to spells and I actually think the choice to do that added a bit of charm and levity, so there is that.


"Swap Bases", I believe. Some epic wins with that card. I do the same things with a colored base token, on eight uncolored boards (the original six, plus two from Tom Jolly's site that he never used). Artwork on spells was fun, and added a huge visual appeal to the game. It also sort of limited the game-stopping "Wall of Text" spell from appearing (but wasn't 100% effective). I can't possibly see that as a downside.

Colorcrayons wrote: • Cracks stay, as will 20 max life (which is a change that does impose a more reasonable time limit to the game). The secondary energy/numbers some spells have will stay as well, but I think I'll try to figure out a way to make the decision to discard a spell in favor of energy more difficult, because often that decision has no agony at all. I think this was difficult even for FFG to pull off, so I am not hopeful my results will be much better. This was one of the reasons why I like random energy so much. It helped counteract some of the dependability of secondary energy on spells.
• Stun effects will likely go. From game #1 I felt it never added anything other than more book keeping. But I will back up Christian Peterson on one thing he says he doesn't want in games FFG produces, and those are effects that cause a player to lose a turn. Fuuuck the "Trap!" card. It's even dumb in a game like Wiz-War.


You might try only putting Energy on Attacks and Counters, like I mentioned above. It might be a terrible idea, but it might enable some creativity in the game as well, and let Neutrals shine again instead of being caffeine for the game.

The old game was much too stun-heavy, that's for sure. My old college group had a soft spot for Trap! just because it was so stupid. "You fool!..." But all that shit should go. It's not fun or expected in a modern game. If there's one place I might leave it, it would be "Lightning Bolt", which became a pretty shitty card in 8th. But things like Medusa obviously have to go.

Colorcrayons wrote: • If you could reword Wall of Earth and Full Shield, how would you do it?


I wouldn't bother rewording Wall of Earth. It was a boring cancel counter, and nobody will miss it. If you really like the idea, I'd make it a Neutral/Counter that raises a wall which can sustain 1 Crack of damage. Like a cheap Wall of Stone that could be used as a Counter by building quickly, or left behind as a distraction. Won't work against people in the same square, of course.

Full Shield I never had a problem with. You just say "Nope". However, it's a very rare card, and there weren't a shitload of basically identical cancel counters. To me, it's as much a part of the deck as Fireball or Create Wall.

Full Reflection was always much more dangerous anyway... now that's a proper counter.


Colorcrayons post


Your idea about how to institute secondary energy... It's genius.

I was thinking of just putting secondary energy on super situational cards such as "Pick Lock" be a 2, and then 3 on the more obvious useful spells.

Which, in a way, is pretty similar to your suggestion. I think I can meet your idea in the middle, and just make sure most good utility neutrals remain without energy.

Create wall, Rosebush should be devoid, but perhaps spells like wall of fire (a very good spell if you aren't daft) should sport a higher energy score. Etc. That is, If neutrals were to have any energy at all.

While making most attack and counters carry the load, it would be humorous to make the attacks carry the energy that is random at a higher percentage. Promoting keeping them to use for attacking, but still offering an option (and if luck is with you, reap a 4 for your gamble).
Then counters could carry most of the solid scores for energy, making the choice in how to use them more difficult.

Your suggestion is definitely an idea worth testing the hell out of. A more conservative approach to secondary energy could benefit the game in a lot of ways.

In theory, this could potentially remove the oft perceived need for "Flash" energy entirely, and keep the speed down by encouraging use of spells for casting a bit more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, dontbecruel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 12:42 #264438 by Not Sure
Missed one. This was the original post that started that conversation:

Colorcrayons wrote: Sooooo... I went into my storage unit to dig up Wiz-War. Not there.

In fact, a lot of my stuff has been gone through inside. Police reports and chats with Storage management later, the end result if that I am still out of Wiz-War. That was a lot of work and money to make that set with Hirst arts and a ton of other bits customized for it.

Oh well. I hope whomever has it now will love it and play it more than I was able to. If so, I'm fine with that.

Luckily, I still have all my molds for the board and custom bits. The real shame is that since FFG are taking their sweet ass time reprinting it (because "Stahr Woarz!!!!11! Huuurrrrrr11!!!1"), just going out to buy a new set isn't a realistic option.

So, I shall start anew. Considering all the above, I will have to use the rather nice Ilya Baranovsky design and print my own cards and other components. I'll turn this into a positive creative opportunity instead of dwelling on it as a loss. Bigger and better than it was before since there are lessons I have learned from making it once. But this time I have the creative freedom to do what I want without constraints set by FFG's cards.

That prologue over with, allow me to get down to the brass tacks of why I am resurrecting this thread.

I plan on making changes to the Ilya design, in many ways to fit the newer FFG design. But I need some help from the community, especially old wizard hats like Not Sure, who have a lot of experience with old editions. You're input would be supremely helpful.

The Schools and its iconography. They serve no real purpose. FFG never took the design far enough to allow them to make much sense ultimately, so they are gone. It's one less piece of iconography robbing precious real estate from the cards as well.
Keeping the basic idea of the spell type iconography. Counter, attack, line of sight, etc. Some of them just need to be made more intuitive than what FFG made, but I think they were on the right track overall.
I was always on the fence about creature summoning in the FFG edition. I could never decide if cutting yourself to summon a creature was good or bad since I never had a lot of experience with previous editions. I kind of doubt if that "balance" was necessary for this game. What say you?
Transformations (or rather the forms) seem pretty damned lackluster, but am at a loss as to how to make them any more compelling to use or if they just need to be axed.
I've contemplated making my ow cards in the past to expand FFG's version, but I never saw many cards I wished were included. At least, not enough to bother with in order to keep everything consistent with FFG's cards. What cards do you think FFG missed the boat by not including? I know Tom Jolly asked this question years ago, but he and Kevin Wilson had only so much control over how FFG published it.
The old rules with a few tweaks that FFG made to it will likely be used. There were a few things they did that clarified some stuff, and others that just made the waters more muddy.
Big Book of Spells seems to be the better way to deal with the game, but I also feel that a more concentrated deck with thematic tweaks has proven to be ideal. I'll likely be keeping with that 85 card core deck approach. I'm not sure why I am mentioning it, but maybe others may feel that it may be a good way to deal with it and perhaps have some suggestions about what thematic packs could be included. I dunno.
Of course since this is a 3D project, new models for everything will be needed. Currently favoring a lot of what I see from WizKids Deep Cuts line, but I could use some suggestions.
Any other suggestions or feedback would be welcome.

With your help, maybe my loss can be everyone's gain.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, dontbecruel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 13:35 - 03 Mar 2018 19:03 #264442 by Colorcrayons
Nice. I tried waybackmachine but it hadn't done a capture during that period.

I was also going to update the post 4day loss with the idea you gave on your suggestion to assign secondary energy from memory, but only put that in my design development notes on my laptop. Now I can haz it all in my notes. :)

Also, as an aside, I've been working on a new card design format. Rudimentary results:



For detailed closeup pic: i.imgur.com/Wir4VHi.jpg

The basic idea is that I want a less cluttered layout than what ffg offers.
And to also be a bit more thematic, subjectively.
The card face represents a page from a spell book, and there is a bookmark on the upper left that shall contain all iconography. I went for less stylized than FFG, in hopes to allow it to be more intuitive.
The top shall be spell type, and the color of the ribbon shall be coded for each type as we have seen since the kwanchai version.
Followed by range, then by duration.
The ribbon clamp end will contain a heptagram that shows secondary energy, if any.
Plus, it kind of follows the original cards in how they show card type in upper left corner as well. This was not by design, just a happy accident.
Cards can be fanned, and all relevant info can be seen at a glance instead of scattered to each corner of the card.
Allowing more room for spell text.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2018 19:03 by Colorcrayons. Reason: Added layout examples

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 14:33 #264448 by Not Sure
Nice card layout. Much cleaner with the stuff in the one corner.

I just got lucky, that laptop is basically my wife's now, but it was in front of me at breakfast, so I logged into my account and saw the open tab.

I'm glad we didn't lose all that back-and-forth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2018 23:57 - 04 Mar 2018 11:30 #264466 by Colorcrayons
Here's an attempt to update Buddy for contemporary wording. I poured through some spells to try to ensure consistency.
I made it a temporary duration spell that you must pump energy into instead of being permanent until somehow dispelled, and gave it a secondary energy rating of random energy because it seems fitting somehow. It can now affect creatures as well.
Otherwise, its still a neutral LOS spell.
Should there be any changes to it?
[edit] I just did a bit of research and it seems that I'm not the first to make Buddy into a spell with temp duration. Jolly seems to say that the next printing of Buddy would have been an attack, so I changed it to that[/edit]


Last edit: 04 Mar 2018 11:30 by Colorcrayons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 06:11 #264468 by Erik Twice
Hahaha, oh damn, I love the writing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 09:14 #264470 by drewcula
Abstractly, the idea of redesigning FFG's WW cards sounds like a colossal waste of time.
Then, I see these examples.
MY GOD. GREAT WORK!
Question; source of illustrations?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 11:16 #264474 by Colorcrayons

drewcula wrote: Abstractly, the idea of redesigning FFG's WW cards sounds like a colossal waste of time.
Question; source of illustrations?


I agree. I wouldn't have even bothered trying if necessity didn't dictate otherwise. I just came to terms that I won't be able to find enough goofy artwork to compete toe-to-toe. But if I can't find a pic that matches the theme of a card, I just change the theme to match the text. For example, the tentatively named Shackled Edict is actually Medusa's Gaze.



The majority of the art that I am using is taken, with poetic justice, from M:tG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 13:34 #264482 by Not Sure
Attack-but-permanent Buddy is the best Buddy.

If you're going to make it time-limited, double the energy you put in. Burning a 4 or 5 on Buddy would be dumb compared to most of the other time-duration spells out there. Doubling up makes it more like permanent Buddy, but still with an expiration date.

The main reason you want it to be an attack is not to use up the action, but to enable the target to play "Full Reflection".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 18:46 #264496 by Colorcrayons
Hmmm... I see your point. Im afraid of really long durations of buddy being more common than rare though. Mostly because I think buddy can be really abused for treasure running and anything that hinders treasure running is a good thing in my book.
But I'll figure out a way to word it and try it out soon.

Ive been thinking about traps and other 'display immediately' cards i think of as "Events". The less annoying ones like:
Bomb Trap
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
KABOOM! You just set off a bomb. Tough luck. You, everyone, and everything within 4 squares (around corners but not through walls) take 3 physical damage. Discard after use and redraw.

Fit Of Frenzy
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
Lose your temper. Immediately drop any TREASURE you may be carrying, and on your next turn, go attack someone. You may not pick anything up during this period. After attacking someone (even if unsuccessful), you may return to normal and do as you wish. This also cancels BUDDY, if you are under its effect. Discard after use and redraw.

Klutz
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
Butter mysteriously appears all over your hands. You immediately drop all carried items, then the butter disappears. Discard after use and redraw. Note: you may only pick up 1 item per turn.

Load Stone
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
POWER: This card does nothing but take up space in your hand. You may not discard it (unless other cards require it). If you enter a space with another wizard you may give it to him (an ATTACK), and he must discard a card to take it if he already has a full hand. FULL REFLECTION and SHIELD will stop it, even if it's drawn. This is considered to be a MAGIC STONE.

Monster Rebellion
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
All monsters in play are now under GEAS to pursue and attack their own creators until dead, ignoring all other commands. At the start each player's turn, her monsters are moved by the opponent to her left. Discard after use and redraw.

Repulsion
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
All items you are carrying, as well as any characters or items within 3 spaces (ignoring walls) immediately teleport 3 spaces away from you in random directions. If targets which cannot coexist end up in same square, randomly displace as many as necessary, into an adjacent space (ignoring walls). Discard after use and redraw.

Sector Decompression
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
All characters and moveable objects in the current sector are moved 1-4 spaces towards a random particular exit, by the nearest unobstructed path. Discard after use and redraw.

Time Draft
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
All active duration spells cease. Each player discards all his cards and refills his hand. Any TRAPS drawn are discarded and replaced. Discard after use and redraw.

Whoops!
DISPLAY IMMEDIATELY.
You clumsy oaf. You just tripped on a loose stone! Take 1 physical damage and drop any carried TREASURE, now. Discard after use and redraw.

Maybe even Mad Wizard

I know your mantra is always "do want you want, you wont break it", but am curious if such events could have a bonafide place in the game nowadays. I really do want to glean more from the old stock, but am not so over eager as to just throw any old thing in. Im already working on the sticks, but there are only a small handful of those present.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2018 12:13 #264555 by Not Sure
Most of those are just randomness. Honestly, I can't remember any of them (aside from Loadstone). I don't know if they ever even made it into my set. Some of those sound like they came from the fan expansions, which were of wildly varying quality. Edit at will there, with a heavy hand.

I can't really see anything listed that merits a deck slot anymore, unless you really want more unpredictable randomness. Even Loadstone even be quite useless in a modern edition, since you'll never really be hand-starved. Something's always got a number on it.

I'd also perhaps put a note on Buddy that it's not to be used in 2-player games, as it's just a no-fun card for someone at that point. Discard and re-draw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2018 20:13 #264767 by hotseatgames
This weekend we are playing my friend's TMNT, which is a pretty good game. I'm hoping after that we can get in a game of Wiz-War. This will be my first game since acquiring Bestial Forces, so I now have the whole FFG set. I went through the decks today and took out almost all of the counter spells, and a couple of the healing items. I then did 2 big books of spells; white cantrips in one, black in the other. The black deck has all of the bestial forces schools and some other stuff, while the white has the transformation school and the malefic curses stuff, as well as other schools. The decks are both roughly the same size. I will put each deck on an end of the table, and we will see what happens. At least, I hope we get to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 10:09 #275908 by Colorcrayons
FFG is dropping Wiz-War.

That's not an official announcement. But there is strong anecdotal evidence to back this assertion.

1) As we all have seen, the core and first expansion have been in the reprint que for about two years now.

2) The second expansion put up on the holiday sale, which as we all know is a signal flare for "getting stuff while the getting is good before it's gone, because we ain't printing this no mo'."

3) Tom Jolly announced in 2008 that FFG bought out the license from chessex. Jolly seems to follow decade long licenses, it is now 2018.

4) Now this is the new bit. While ffg online store still has bestial forces for sale, my most recent visit to their event center has nothing to offer in this area.
This is odd and telling because even if their online store says sold out of an item, the event center usually has a couple copies kicking around.
The event center carries more than FFG games, but it usually has their complete catalogue of games they produce, barring lost licenses like GW, Blizzard, etc.

I think unless FFG do something soon, the rights will revert and the FFG edition will be done for good. If you don't have this edition yet and you want it, find it soon. Some shops still seem to carry it it.

I have no inside info on this. I'm only using precedent to help me make this postulation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds