Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TOPIC: Let's talk about... Wiz-War

Let's talk about... Wiz-War 21 Jun 2018 09:33 #275924

That's been my working assumption for six months now.

4) is a new and disheartening development, but no surprise.

I don't think boxed games fit their model anymore. Which is fine, I just haven't bought anything FFG in a long time. They and I have parted interests.
  • Not Sure
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 936
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Let's talk about... Wiz-War 21 Jun 2018 10:27 #275931

Alternatively, I suppose it could herald a license renewal.
Maybe FFG and/or Asmodee will make a new edition.

Either way, I doubt wizards will learn nothing until 2019.
  • drewcula
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 446

Let's talk about... Wiz-War 25 Jun 2018 08:15 #276147

Charlie just extolled the virtues of Wiz-War in his latest piece. Hopefully this can sway some non-believers.

playerelimination.com/2018/06/25/the-mad-genius-of-wiz-war/
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2171
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, drewcula, charlest

Let's talk about... Wiz-War 12 Jul 2018 15:53 #277419

Piddling around with cards again while waiting for a few resin casting supplies from Smooth-on to be delivered. A large load of casting is about to occur.

This time I'm tackling a few creatures. I dislike the "mythological" theme that FFG had going on, so I'm doing my own thing while using their creature designs as a base.

The Boggart resembles the Treasure Goblins* found in Diablo 3 rather strongly, so I took this opportunity to make a slight thematic based tweak.

* for those unaware, treasure goblins are random monsters in Diablo 3 that appear on rare occasions and if you manage to kill them before they escape through their portal, leave behind a few bits of treasure that they have scavenged.

The minotaur will stay as is, because its critically thematic to the Labyrinth setting.
I also find the drake to be acceptable as well.
The Genie will be repped by the spellbook familiar found in the Silver Tower game. Because the genie allows extra cards to be held.
The Grendel will be a mechanical automaton type of artifact creature. Big and brawny strength. A mobile pain inflictor.
The Spirit Snake will be repped by a wraith. More generic yet more accessible to the casual user as well.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1313
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, drewcula, Whoshim

Let's talk about... Wiz-War 13 Jul 2018 06:27 #277437

We were at an expat family camp this week, and it was a fun time to play a lot of games with a lot of ages. That means I got to teach Wiz-War, a four-player game with a younger adult, myself and another thirty-to-forty something, and a 12-year-old. I was out when someone took control of my character and dragged them back and forth over a hex of pain until I died. I was at full health. It was infuriating and awesome. The other older adult had to leave, so I filled in and eventually won the game for her. It was a great time.

I also tried to teach my older son, who had been on me to try it out. I was worried the cards would have too much text, but I separated out a few easier schools of magic that I thought he could handle. It went pretty well I think, although he didn't have much inclination to read through the cards, unless they just had a line or two of description. It was fun though, and it convinced me that I do prefer the giant deck of all the cards to having to trim it down.

The thing I appreciate most about Wiz-War is how it is instantly obvious what you should be doing, and it does not make you jump through hoops to figure out how to accomplish it. Get treasure and/or kill the other wizards, and here are cards designed to do just that. It's just so elemental.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, drewcula, Whoshim
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds