October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk about... Wiz-War

More
13 Sep 2018 02:33 #281519 by ModelVillain
Partly due to recent attention here and elsewhere, this one has regained interest with my local group and is getting played a bunch -- having a lot of fun with the FFG edition.

Unfortunately I don't have Malefic Curses and it's difficult to come by at the moment -- I'm really hoping to score a copy of that expansion.

If anyone in FATland has an unloved shelf toad copy w/ Malefic Curses, I'd be happy to take it off your hands in a swap or for a handsome if reasonable sum. Don't even need a box, I'm just looking for a complete set of the MC components. (I have shipping addresses in US and Canada)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2018 17:00 - 07 Oct 2018 17:06 #282814 by Colorcrayons
The card back for this project has been giving me a fit. I spent a lot of time online browsing card back for various games to find inspiration. Lots of good stuff out there, but I particularly liked this card back for the Elder Scrolls Legends card game:

It has a nice feel to it. Minimalist, yet looks like a plush cover for a spellbook.

So I took that idea and used it as inspiration for my own:

I wanted to make it a bit less generic, and put the title of the game on the back. Finding a good font for that however was not easy.
But since I'm using a labyrinth askew by 45° as the central medallion, I found a decent font that accentuates it. It looks runic, yet after a moment of pondering, it becomes legible.

Getting the letters arranged in a more pleasing manner than horizontally took a bit of involved layout, but I think the effort was worth it.

So now the end user has two options for the spell card backs. I still can't decide which I like better.

I plan on tweaking it a bit further, to make the metallic elements look more convincing, and shore up the hue of the leather tome binding to be less red and more brown. But the proof of concept is there.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2018 17:06 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, stoic

More
08 Oct 2018 15:32 - 08 Oct 2018 15:33 #282852 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Let's talk about... Wiz-War

Colorcrayons wrote:
I wanted to make it a bit less generic, and put the title of the game on the back. Finding a good font for that however was not easy.
But since I'm using a labyrinth askew by 45° as the central medallion, I found a decent font that accentuates it. It looks runic, yet after a moment of pondering, it becomes legible.

I definitely like the one with "WIZ WAR" on it in the cryptic font. As you said, it's not immediately obvious what it says, but then when you see it, you're like, "Ah, that's cool." It reminds me of the old Milwaukee Brewer logo, which looks like a stylized catcher's mitt at first glance. Then after a moment, you see the "MB" initials embedded in there.

I actually got the play Wiz War this weekend for the first time in a while. Still the best game ever, even when you spent 3/4 of the game locked in a walled-off closet with a snake, which totally happened to me.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 15:33 by Joebot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Oct 2018 17:45 #282857 by Colorcrayons
It's nice to play a game where you remain engaged during your opponents turns.

Wiz-War has notable flaws, but being bored during off turns isn't normally one if them. Odds are in your favor to pay attention to what is being played, and that helps minimize the random quality of card drawing a bit.

"Ack! He played the '6' energy card to boost that duration spell. Well, no sense waiting in hopes of that coming into my hand. Time to take action." Etc.

Which edition did you play?

More
09 Oct 2018 12:28 #282897 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Let's talk about... Wiz-War

Colorcrayons wrote: It's nice to play a game where you remain engaged during your opponents turns.

Wiz-War has notable flaws, but being bored during off turns isn't normally one if them. Odds are in your favor to pay attention to what is being played, and that helps minimize the random quality of card drawing a bit.

"Ack! He played the '6' energy card to boost that duration spell. Well, no sense waiting in hopes of that coming into my hand. Time to take action." Etc.

Which edition did you play?

We were playing the newest Fantasy Flight version (with both expansions).

I just got boned on the card draw, and couldn't draw anything useful to get me out of that damned closet. Not even anything that would let me crack the wall. On one of my turns, I drew two useless cards, then the next guy went. He took his turn, and drew two cards ... then immediately burst into laughter. He showed me what he drew -- "Create Door" and "Destroy Wall." Either of which would have gotten me out of my predicament. I begged him to trade cards, as if I could somehow turn Wiz War into Settlers of Catan ... he wouldn't have it. And so I rotted in that damned closet until the snake totem finally killed me.

More
10 Oct 2018 12:37 #282942 by drewcula
I love both designs, but I lean a little towards the non 'Wiz-War' variant. Only because I like the black contrast. Please consider some sort of black element into the 'Wiz-War' variant and see what develops. An outline, a drop shadow, or maybe just replace the gradation of gray with the b&w sensibility of the later.

More
10 Oct 2018 14:52 #282949 by Colorcrayons
I started a thread on BGG graphic design atea, looking for feedback about the card back.

Someone took a crack at making their own card back, which is really nice.

He's a professional, and I doubt I'll be able to use it. But it's quite nice.

Maybe I could mimic the design somehow. I'd ask to use it, but I'd be a pauper with my hand out and can't afford to pay a pro for a design I'm doing as a passion project and then release to the community for free.

But I think I can do a reasonable facsimile with adding my own tweaks.

More
10 Oct 2018 15:05 #282950 by Colorcrayons

drewcula wrote: I love both designs, but I lean a little towards the non 'Wiz-War' variant. Only because I like the black contrast. Please consider some sort of black element into the 'Wiz-War' variant and see what develops. An outline, a drop shadow, or maybe just replace the gradation of gray with the b&w sensibility of the later.

I actually regret uploading that checkered image.

It was meant to portray the necessary steps to create a symmetrical layout for the fonts, since the interface of CS2 doesn't easily allow such an alignment. I guess I'm horrible at communicating, since feedback shows that didn't come across to the readers.

More
09 Oct 2019 10:40 #302299 by Not Sure
Thread necromancy, but Steve Jackson has acquired the reprint rights:

www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/October_09_2019/Wiz-War

Not sure how that's going to play out. On the plus side, they do know "beer-and-pretzels".

I'm going to remain optimistic, rather than despair. Because at least it's Wiz-War.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, drewcula, sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
09 Oct 2019 10:47 #302300 by cdennett

Not Sure wrote: I'm going to remain optimistic, rather than despair. Because at least it's Wiz-War.

I personally can't wait for Munchkin Wiz-War...

But in all seriousness, I'm curious what they are going to do with it. I'm generally not a fan of any of their games, but I'll at least pay attention to this one. I can't see them matching the production of FFG, so they're going to have to nail the mechanisms and theme...

More
09 Oct 2019 12:00 - 09 Oct 2019 15:35 #302301 by WadeMonnig

cdennett wrote:

Not Sure wrote: I'm going to remain optimistic, rather than despair. Because at least it's Wiz-War.

I personally can't wait for Munchkin Wiz-War...

But in all seriousness,

In all seriousness, you know that is exactly what is going to be...with John Kovalic doing the art.
I'll buy it, because I need a copy of Wiz War.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 15:35 by WadeMonnig.

More
09 Oct 2019 12:37 #302302 by Vysetron
I actually have a soft spot for Kovalic art, just not Munchkin specifically. Wiz-War with a fresh coat of paint would be fine by me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
09 Oct 2019 14:23 #302305 by Not Sure
My gripes with FFG's edition are well-documented (probably even up-thread here).

Most of that stuff probably won't transfer, as I'm not sure FFG's in-house development work would revert to Tom Jolly when their license ran out.

I like Wiz-War just fine with no art at all, as all my best times were with an old set that had Jolly's hand-drawn counters in it. So I don't care if it's Kovalic on it or not. His style would be right in line with the goofy aspects of the game, it's not a showstopper for me.

If they don't do dumb stuff like player colors printed on the boards it could even be an improvement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
09 Oct 2019 15:56 #302307 by WadeMonnig
* holds up Munchkin Lootletter *
I'm just saying that is most likely what will happen. I enjoy Kovalic's art and I want a copy of Wiz War. A Munchkin theme wouldn't scare me off.

More
09 Oct 2019 18:17 #302318 by Erik Twice
I can actually see Steve Jackson doing a good job on this edition. He's a good designer and developer, even if years of Munchkin have atrofied his skills.

My worry is that what I want is a "definitive edition" like FFG's Cosmic Encounter. And SJG's edition might not be that but have other concerns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds