October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
08 Aug 2014 17:03 #184352 by Dr. Mabuse
Not for me but maybe one or two people here?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4979

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:07 #184353 by Michael Barnes
God fucking damn it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhuntin1, phandec, edulis, Attrition, charlest

More
08 Aug 2014 17:08 #184354 by Gary Sax
I am like so much more into this than x wing I cannot even describe it. Just personal preference. I will probably get this. Can't wait for some of the cooler cap ship designs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Count Orlok, wadenels

More
08 Aug 2014 17:09 - 08 Aug 2014 17:13 #184355 by charlest
Blah. That cover/box looks great, but I don't really have interest in this. Those fighter stands look kind of awkward (the plastic base is more prominent than the minis) and it looks way too fiddly with tons of components.

The squadrons are also unpainted, nice.

Oh, the mission/objectives do look interesting.

Whoah - $99 MSRP. Ugh.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2014 17:13 by charlest.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:13 #184356 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
$100 MSRP on it...So only online purchase for me it looks like. Sucks to be my FLGS.

But I'm all over this.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:14 #184357 by Bull Nakano
At a glance it seems like it's probably a more playable out of the box game than Attack Wing, which was pretty limited out of the box. The bases and the movement ruler look so gimmicky. Not sure where they're going to go after the take down a Star Destroyer scenario, but it'll probably be a good game.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:14 #184358 by Michael Barnes
I mean, seriously, how I am supposed to not buy this? It looks AMAZING.

It's actually pretty ballsy too...a different system than X-Wing, an all-new product line...it definitely looks like this is an "oh shit, we're out of ships" escape plan. Which is fine, because I had planned on C&Ding X-Wing collecting after the Outrider/Decimator. I'll just grumble and move on to this then.

I'm curious as to how they're going to sell this...Caps will obviously be 1-per, but will you get like three flights of fighters in a booster or what? I'd actually much rather they sold it in

Out of the box, I'm looking at three starters, regardless. Unfortunately, they also look like $60 MSRP starters.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:20 #184359 by Michael Barnes
Dan did you see $100 somewhere? I don't see it anywhere...if that's the case...maybe just one starter. Ouch.

It does look like there's more of a full game here than X-Wing, if you just want to have the basic setup and do just a simple engagement. But you KNOW muthafuckas be buyin' like ten boxes and shit to have ten SDs out there.

Not sure where the rest of the ships are going to come from...obviously we'll see an Executor-class SSD and probably a Death Star. Can't think of many other caps from SW.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:20 #184360 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: I mean, seriously, how I am supposed to not buy this? It looks AMAZING.

It's actually pretty ballsy too...a different system than X-Wing, an all-new product line...it definitely looks like this is an "oh shit, we're out of ships" escape plan. Which is fine, because I had planned on C&Ding X-Wing collecting after the Outrider/Decimator. I'll just grumble and move on to this then.

I'm curious as to how they're going to sell this...Caps will obviously be 1-per, but will you get like three flights of fighters in a booster or what? I'd actually much rather they sold it in

Out of the box, I'm looking at three starters, regardless. Unfortunately, they also look like $60 MSRP starters.

You'll be paying $210 for those 3 starters from CSI. They're $100 MSRP.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:21 #184361 by Michael Barnes
OK, you guys are seeing $99 on it...egads. I'll definitely be doing a smaller investment with this then. That is just way the fuck too much money, even at $60-$70 at discount.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:22 #184362 by VonTush
Clink on the name to go to the game description then click on products and its there. All the newly announced games follows the same pattern to find the price.

Also the game is listed at 2hrs. If it is 2hrs out of the box, and the game is supposed to play with more Caps...We might be looking at a 3 hr event. Which I'm all for.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:24 - 08 Aug 2014 17:26 #184363 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: Not sure where the rest of the ships are going to come from...obviously we'll see an Executor-class SSD and probably a Death Star. Can't think of many other caps from SW.

There's a whole bunch of Star Destroyer variations. That version there is from the West End Games RPG I believe. So they'll pump out tons of models which are only slightly different but have new cards/components. It looks like fighter groups will have leaders/heroes (they mention Luke), so you'll probably have to buy the fighter expansions to get all of the cards, like X-Wing.

I'd much rather see BSG: Armada. You know, an IP where we actually see Capital ships fighting each other. I don't recall any Turbolasers trading broadside barrages in X-Wing.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2014 17:26 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
08 Aug 2014 17:25 #184364 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I mean, seriously, how I am supposed to not buy this? It looks AMAZING.

You'll be paying $210 for those 3 starters from CSI. They're $100 MSRP.

Games like this are like divorce: expensive, but only because the value commands the price.

Id love to try it first...it's pretty hard to beat ACTA: Star Fleet.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:28 #184365 by Ochobee
Replied by Ochobee on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
As cool as this sounds, I am kind of hoping it has a bit more under the hood than it appears. Cap ship engagements would I hope have more involved with damage and functionality than you need to worry about in a game like X-Wing.

I had a lot of fun with the old FASA Renegade Legion cap ship game Leviathan, in particular due to the way it handled damage. It would be nice if it scratched that itch even just a bit.

FFG has definitely found the way into people's wallets, and they are not letting up.

More
08 Aug 2014 17:33 #184367 by VonTush
It looks like the first Star Destroyer is the Victory-II Class according to the ship base. So each may be unique...But Charles I think nailed it. Variations on a theme.

One thing for certain though, with FFG keeping their info so close to their vest, there is no way I'm buying more than one until I start to see what else they have planned down the line.

X-Wing makes them tons of $'s, so I don't see them stopping with that anytime soon. And the tourney scene is just getting stronger.

But perhaps they do stop and just let XWing lay and then extend the license with Wizkids and just cash checks as Wizkids continues to pump out Star Trek and soon D&D.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds