October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Pax Pamir 2nd Edition

More
18 Jan 2015 11:53 #299564 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Pax Pamir
In the game, players will work in coalitions to build...

Pax Pamir is an interactive historical game about politics and power in nineteenth century Afghanistan from the designer of John Company and Root

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2015 12:08 #195365 by stoic

Attachment pax_pamir.jpg not found

Attachment pic2377661_md.jpg not found

I just heard about this upcoming game from Phil Eklund: Pax Pamir. It's in the same family as Pax Porfiriana--and, I absolutely love that game! A few other F:AT forum members and I already play that one on Vassal.

I also own the hard copy of Pax Porfiriana. I also own Bios Megafauna. And, I'd own High Frontier if it wasn't out-of-print. This new game in the Pax series looks like an auto-buy for me. I wasn't much interested in the theme of the last Eklund game, Greenland, but this new one looks great.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Does anyone know anything more? Has anyone play tested it? What's the scoop?
Attachments:

More
18 Jan 2015 13:06 #195366 by Gary Sax
I'll probably get a copy of this. Love Pax Porfiriana---I'll probably never play it in person, but I like having it and I've played it online periodically. And I could definitely see this in a central asian setting. Really, you could do a great Pax Porfiriana engine game in any failed state. Last 20 years Somalia or DRC would work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
18 Jan 2015 13:20 #195369 by Cranberries
I had Pax and sold it, and now I'll never have it. So I bought Greenland, which is a detailed, weird game that I hope to solo. So I'll get this as a Pax substitute.

Maybe he'll make a version that entails the US thirty years from now.

More
18 Jan 2015 14:09 #195371 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir

craniac wrote: I had Pax and sold it, and now I'll never have it. So I bought Greenland, which is a detailed, weird game that I hope to solo. So I'll get this as a Pax substitute.

Maybe he'll make a version that entails the US thirty years from now.

Craniac,

If you want another copy of Pax Porfiriana, then there might be hope. I've read that they're releasing a deluxe Spanish version of it with a mounted gaming board and wooden chits; perhaps, they're following with a deluxe English version?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2015 15:48 #195376 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
This was the last message I got from phil in december for next years BGG.CON:

And watch for the deluxe Pax Por. Hopefully Pax Pamir and Pax Renaissance next year

[/i]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

More
18 Jan 2015 16:56 #195381 by DukeofChutney
SOLD

The Great Game is one of my favourite topics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, stoic

More
More
18 Jan 2015 22:50 - 18 Jan 2015 22:54 #195403 by Cranberries
The Spanish deluxe version of Pax:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 22:54 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, Pugnax555

More
18 Jan 2015 23:11 #195408 by Not Sure
Despite Phil publishing this, the design on Pax Pamir is Cole Werhle.

It's based on the Pax system, but Cole did the work on this one.

I've been following it on BGG for a long time, and I'm excited to see it go to print. The Great Game is a really interesting theme to me, and I enjoy the Pax system a lot. Autobuy for me.

If the deluxe Porfiriana makes it into English, I might upgrade.

More
19 Jan 2015 07:19 #195421 by DukeofChutney
Eklund has become more of a developer than a designer lately. Pax Porfirana was originally designed by Jim Gutt and Greenland Philip Klarmann. Eklund does change some things in development but i have no idea how much. Also Matt Eklund has a fair bit of input. Boardgames have become centred around the 'name' designer so the team aspect is often ignored.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Not Sure

More
19 Jan 2015 10:41 #195434 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir

Not Sure wrote:
If the deluxe Porfiriana makes it into English, I might upgrade.

I can almost say with some certainty it will. I told Phil last year that I had sold all the copies of Pax, and how I was kicking myself. He said worry not, that I will get another chance with a English deluxe version. Of course, things can change, but it sound like it is in the works.

More
19 Jan 2015 11:42 #195448 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
Yep, all of the contributors and other designers should get due credit for sure! These cats at Sierra Madre games are producing some of my favorite and most enjoyable games. Kudos!

I hope that they will produce an English deluxe version of Pax Porfiriana. For that, my wish list of features would include a point tracker for player prestige points, a double-sided game board, large tarot sized cards, some repro gold peso coins, a sombrero, a bandoleer, and a bottle of top shelf tequila.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Jan 2019 09:05 - 13 Jan 2019 09:08 #289880 by Gary Sax
Way back from the dead. So I backed the revised edition kickstarter. Dan Thurot posted this review like 6 months ago but I didn't read it.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2050329/ano...ia-space-biff-review

This is wild. It is substantially changed and I didn't realize it. If you've played a pax game, you'll know this is big deal:

"To put it gently, victory in the original Pax Pamir was difficult. The game could conclude within thirty minutes or three hours, for one thing. For another, the appearance of a topple card — which, when purchased, set into motion a potential bid for victory — tended to drag the game to a halt as everybody counted up, well, everything. Your spies, roads, tribes, and armies all contributed at different times, dependent on the current “climate” of Afghanistan. And I’m not talking about weather. I’m talking about the current tone of the Great Game. During an Intelligence War, a chieftain needed a bunch of spies to win, whereas during Political Fragmentation it was tribes who ruled the day. Every piece on the table mattered, and holding a card that could change the climate at the last minute was often the key to success.

That’s all been stripped out of Pax Pamir’s second edition. And along with it, both the game’s most complicated tabulations and a significant chunk of its appeal.

Dominance checks — the fancy new word for a topple — no longer have anything to do with climate. Instead, they’re almost entirely focused on imperial superiority. During a check, if an empire has deployed four more roads and/or armies than either of their foes, then that empire is dominant. Every chieftain loyal to that empire now scores points according to their influence. So if Russia has endless miles of roads and hordes of armies, the player who sucked up to them most comprehensively will earn more points than those who didn’t hire enough patriots, assassinate national enemies, or send enough rugs to the governor’s wife. And in the event that no empire emerges supreme, the chieftain fielding the most spies and tribes will earn the points. As in life, so in art."

I... have no idea how I feel about this. It was sort of the signature of the original design...? Anyway, I have an open mind about the whole thing but this is pretty radical.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 09:08 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Not Sure

More
13 Jan 2019 12:31 - 13 Jan 2019 12:32 #289890 by Not Sure
Yeah, I've been loosely following the changes, (already committed during the KS) and some of them are pretty big.

There's been an overall redefinition of "who am I" in the game, which was pretty nebulous in 1st Edition but in 2nd firmly places you in the "Afghan up-and-comer struggling for control".

Based on Werhle's evolution of game design chops since the 1st edition, I'm expecting it to be better. But in true Pax fashion, I'm hedging my bets and holding onto the 1st Edition as well.

(also: strong necro powers here. Just a few days short of a four-year gap in posts.)
Last edit: 13 Jan 2019 12:32 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, Msample, DukeofChutney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.519 seconds