October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

In which Drewcula celebrates his 100th post - DreadBall

More
07 Sep 2015 21:03 - 07 Sep 2015 21:35 #210127 by drewcula
Inspired by the commemorative 1000th post of Michael Barnes and the inspiring tournament session of Jeff White, I am making a humble attempt at celebrating my 100th post.

I, Andrew Wodzianski (F:ATie 'Drewcula'), will share a little DreadBall league story. I call it, THE PASSING OF THE CORT DREADBALL LEAGUE TROPHY IV.

Since Mantic's first DreadBall Kickstarter delivery in Q4 of 2012, my gaming group has been exclusively playing Dreadball! Though our league of six may be small in number, it abounds with; commitment, pride, jealousy, rivalry, and competitive furor.

We call our league CORT. It stands for either; C.itiziens O.f R.ape T.own / C.itizens O.f R.age T.own / C.yber O.ptic R.ed T.eam. It depends on the amount of alcohol consumed. We celebrate the end of each DreadBall league season with the passing of three trophies; 1) The sacko [last place], 2) The Ultimate [our "all-star" Ultimate match throw down winner, and 3) 'DreadBalls The Trophy' [season champ].

An obligation of any trophy recipient is to modify/enhance the prize before it passes to another coach at the end of next season. I was fortunate enough to win CORT DreadBall Season Three with the NOMA Vermin (Veer-Myn). After proudly displaying my trophy in my office for six months, I took it to the studio for "improvements."

Backstory: Our league commissioner, JE donated the first iteration of 'DreadBalls The Trophy.' He found it discarded on the street. That's right, it was garbage. Technically, a metal compact disc rack in the shape of an electric guitar and heavily advertised by Budweiser. JE made modest signage to declare its recycled purpose (with a handsome picture of Darth Helmet) and awarded it to our first season's champ, ZCB [coaching the Male Corporation].

ZCB would return at the end of season two with a bold trophy color change; Silver! Coincidentally, ZCB would also win our second season [coaching the Teratons]. The metallic sheen of victory would return to his possession for another season.

ZCB is a hell of a DreadBall player, and he earned his way into a third championship bout at the end of season three. He approached the game with assured confidence; the trophy had NO IMPROVEMENTS. After group ridicule, ZCB replied, "It's okay, I'll make some adjustments when I take it home again tonight." His Void Sirens ate crow that night, and my Veer-myn won the prize.

In part comeuppance to my friend's brazen disregard for tradition, and in part pride for my middling craftsmanship - I vowed to make the CORT trophy improvements large. "Go big or go home."

I completely dismantled the trophy. I sanded it, and I painted over ZCB's silver finish with a proper sheen of GOLD. I replaced JE's signage with pain staking accuracy. Then I expanded. After a few pieces of pine, a drill press, some wood glue, black paint and varnish - a casing was built. I was not finished! A bowling trophy was rescued from a local thrift store, and with the help of a Dremel - the bowler on top was released from bondage. A few more pieces of signage would only be complemented by a Blaine Sponsor finished in gold [intended for the next winner to use as a commemorative coach in season five].

But I wasn't done. My last stroke of trophy improvement was to be a matter of collaboration. Though I've attended gaming conventions for twenty six years, I went to Gen Con for my first time this summer. I went to game, and drink, and eat, and - meet Ronnie Renton. Ronnie is the president of Mantic Games.

I met Ronnie and asked for a two minute favor. He graciously accepted as he put me on timer. I succinctly explained my request: I wanted him to sign CORT's 'DreadBalls The Trophy.' He agreed. Not knowing British slang as well as I should, I gave Ronnie a set of options for quotation (printed on cardstock). He chose one, and included a lightly abstracted illustration of a penis.

With quotation in hand, I affixed the card onto the trophy's backside and delivered it to last week's championship match. CORT DreadBall League Season Four featured JE and his Symphony of Destruction (Veer-myn) against AP's Brightwood RoboBotTrons (Robots). JE land slided AP in rush six.
Trophy presented, JE is CORT's proud champ of the season. KC takes the sacko, and we'll determine who wins at Ultimate in two weeks. Thanks for reading.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 21:35 by drewcula. Reason: I think I figured it out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, jpat, Mr. White, Black Barney, Columbob, boothwah, repoman, Sevej, Feelitmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 21:04 - 07 Sep 2015 21:35 #210128 by drewcula
Well, posting my pictures is a complete failure. My story is kind of fun with pictures. Without, it's kind of lame. Sorry y'all. Yah! 101st post!
UPDATE: SUCCESS (at least with posting pictures)
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 21:35 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Sep 2015 21:40 #210130 by Sagrilarus
Front page material!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, drewcula

More
08 Sep 2015 08:55 #210147 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, that's just all kinds of bad ass.

Thanks for sharing this. I played Attacktix competitively for a spell, and we always made these cool trophies, but nothing quite like that. Wow. That's just bad ass.

More
08 Sep 2015 08:57 #210150 by Black Barney
Thank you for not telling us which song is in your head

More
08 Sep 2015 19:09 - 08 Sep 2015 19:14 #210195 by drewcula
Thanks fellas! Off coloured humor: When I showed Ronnie Renton the picture of ZCB holding the first iteration of the trophy, he thought it was really nice that we have special needs gamer in our league. LOL. That my friend's enthusiasm for winning a trophy could be misconstrued for a handicap is pure juvenile, gaming put-down, comedy gold fodder. I mention this ever time I've had 3 beers, and ZCB is my opponent. That I could be so shallow and vapid inevitably comes back to bite me in the ass when ZCB wipes me off the pitch in land slide victories. I deserve as much.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 19:14 by drewcula.

More
10 Sep 2015 08:04 #210288 by Mr. White
Inspired!

I'm going to have to do up something better for my league games now. Thanks...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.884 seconds