October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What board games are you NOT buying?

More
12 Sep 2015 19:33 #210547 by Da Bid Dabid
After the discussion about Blood Rage here put some of my reaching high hopes into a more realistic "wait and see" attitude I came to realize a thread that runs along with my two most followed (What you Buying and Playing) threads which purpose is to point out negative experiences or even hesitations about purchasing or trying a new game would really help me when looking for new stuff.

Along those lines I present this dilemma. I purchased Loopin Chewie and Star Wars: Risk 2015 during the sale at TRU this week. I have a 3 year old and 6 month old so Loopin Chewie makes totally sense. Despite the great impressions from everyone here and all the Star Wars fan stuff that goes along with it. I'm having a tough time convincing myself to break the shrink on the RotJ battle game. I have tons of 2 player games I think would get played more as if I invite over a friend who is willing to play a 2 player game they tend to be really into games so we bring something heavy strategy - Napoleon's Triumph, Sekigahara, Twilight Struggle; something we've both invested in - X-Wing, Netrunner, Space Hulk; or something ultra light if they're not a gamer - Luchador!. Plus I just am getting into Theseus which seems incredible for 2.

I don't get enough 2 player games anyway, how is this thing gonna hit the table ever? Tell me why I should or shouldn't take this sucker back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2015 20:04 #210550 by DukeofChutney
whats the scoop on Blood Rage?

I think SW Risk looks pretty neat but i would be surprised, based on what i've heard, if i were to play it more than a couple of times as it is supposed to be a rather light game. Im not sure whether i would find rolling fist fulls of dice to move a counter down a track that evocative of the battle of Endor. Its a bit too early to tell whether it will be a classic fun first game, or a nice themed and produced but ultimately short lived game. I guess you could take it back on the basis that it will probably be in circulation for a few months should you change your mind. On the other hand you could sit on it and always trade it off or resell if you don't like it. Good quality star wars games don't tend to lose value.

I'm mostly not buying games atm because I am broke and just about to start a new job / moving. Once i have some pay checks and a few debts have cleared i might buy a game, not sure what though. My friends tend to be only interested in playing games they have purchased so I don't tend to bother buying games on the basis that if we are going to play it more than once or twice its a game someone else has bought. Instead i just point out cool new games and see what we end up playing. Having said this, i am sort of tempted by Forbidden Stars.

More
12 Sep 2015 20:24 #210551 by Da Bid Dabid
Blood Rage See Here: fortressat.com/forum/10-ameritrash/197788-blood-rage (and the original post I linked within that thread)

More
12 Sep 2015 20:28 #210552 by Sagrilarus
Not buying Talon: Fleet Combat in Defense of Earth.

I've prepubbed GMT's Pacific submarine game, and if they hold true to form I'll get a shot at this for half price.

Besides, Talon is a direct conflict game that my buddies almost assuredly won't play. So I'm holding off. I'll either get it for $30 and not play it, or just not get it at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
12 Sep 2015 21:26 #210557 by repoman
I'm not buying The Greatest Day, the D-day game by the same guy and same system as Devil's Cauldron. Not because I don't want it but because I just haven't got the $200 odd bucks it costs and frankly chances of playing vs. an opponent are slim and face to face rather than via computer are practically nil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Sep 2015 22:30 #210565 by DukeofChutney
on a similar note i decided not to buy this years Operational Combat Series Game, Beyond the Rhine. Too many counters. I've decided I cannot be bothered with hex and counters to too many counters. Not sure what too many is, probably 1200 on the map at any given time or something. Will wait for a smaller OCS title to hit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Sep 2015 00:58 #210575 by Gary Sax
I deeply want some of the MMP games but DukeofChutney outlines the problem perfectly. Right now I seriously just want to put the reprint of the GCACW on Bull Run on my shelf, even if I NEVER play it, but I know that is fucked up consumerist reasoning.

More
13 Sep 2015 04:17 #210576 by Hex Sinister
I am not buying ANY WizKids products. I was tempted by their flight path stuff but my gut told me to chill. Mage Knight the boardgame was a fluke.

I will not buy any unpainted "hobby miniatures" games (like GW, Infinity, Warmachine etc). Too much money and effort to payoff ratio.

I will not buy into any new LCG's... ok, unless they do Conan or something really hype like that.

I am not buying deckbuilders of any sort. My general disinterest in the genre has probably worked against me as so many games have come out that I might have missed a good one. I'm not losing sleep over it though.

I will never, ever again purchase a single booster of Magic the Gathering. I'll extend that to any blind purchase line. Been there, done alla that. Great times and all, but the moments gone.

Lastly, regarding digital gaming, I will not purchase DLC (unless the rape-hold they grapple me with is strong).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, SuperflyPete

More
13 Sep 2015 11:03 #210587 by SuperflyPete
I never get the disdain for "Hobby Miniatures Games". Some suck, but almost all of the games available that aren't by big companies aren't expensive money pits, and in most cases, they don't even produce their own minis.

Strange Aeons, WreckAge, and Wasteland 3:Total Meltdown are totally worth the price of the book, and you can use any minis or terrain you want.

aaaaanyway,
I'm not buying any more DOAM type games (Ikusa, Conquest of Nerath) because I already have my 3 faves and honestly, the genre is so underplayed here that getting one would be pissing away money.

More
13 Sep 2015 11:33 - 13 Sep 2015 11:42 #210590 by OldHippy
Risk Star Wars - I wanted this originally, pretty badly too. Finding out that it was streamlined Queens Gambit (which I love but don't think needs streamlining), finding out the storm troopers were tokens instead of mini's (the toy factor is huge in Queens Gambit - I'd miss the three tiered palace too), and finding out the Jedi's don't get to join the fight later (which makes sense but is an awesome part of Queens Gambit) - all of that coupled with the fact that Doc M owns QG and I can play it if I want to. I don't care too much about the setting one way or another if the game itself isn't better and it doesn't sound like it is.

I might pick up the fancier one when it comes out but it's wait and see right now and I'm not too worried if I miss it all together.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2015 11:42 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dr. Mabuse, Da Bid Dabid

More
13 Sep 2015 12:24 #210593 by ThirstyMan
Agree with comments on BTTR. In the same vein as Repo's rejection of Grand Tactical Series, I love me some OCS but can't pull the trigger on this one, at the moment.

Not buying any of Verssen's games.

Buying from someone slightly to the right of Hitler annoys me. I do have standards.

More
13 Sep 2015 12:43 #210596 by Scott_F
First great topic idea by the way. What are you buying and playing are the things I enjoy reading the most here.

I'll throw out Splendor as a game I will never buy to counter the positive recent reviews of it. I've played the game maybe a dozen times in the last year and each time I feel like I just wasted about an hour of my life trying to solve a math puzzle. It tells no story. It is not interactive. It doesn't look good on the table. It is an unoffensive engine builder without a theme. It takes up about an hour of time and is especially irritating to me as that is far more than a filler game yet is half of a good game, like Study in Emerald or Chaos in the Old World, both roughly two hour games. I don't understand the appreciation for this and will never voluntarily play it. Yet somehow every meetup and game day I go to people take this out and try to sell it to either fill the time or as an actual fun game. I don't think anyone can claim that they remembered how a game of Splendor they played a week ago ended. I can tell you how my last Fury of Dracula game a month ago ended, how Study in Emerald ended a month ago, how Forbidden Stars and Churchill went a couple months ago, etc. I know those games take more time and more rules but I'd rather learn and start something fun and not finish it then play something forgettable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, ThirstyMan

More
13 Sep 2015 15:00 #210603 by Gary Sax
I actually I agree with you despite my boardgames played thread post. Splendor falls more in the "activity" side of gaming, which has a place and utility for me.

More
13 Sep 2015 15:20 #210604 by Hex Sinister

SuperflyTNT wrote: I never get the disdain for "Hobby Miniatures Games".

In my case I wouldn't refer to it as disdain (except for GW). It's just not my style. I don't like stuff like this to be half-assed. You need to buy tons of paint and supplies which isn't cheap and hours and hours of modelling and painting. Even though my dad raised me as a (basic) modeller I still hate removing flash. Hate hate hate. I'll spend hours on just that. And priming, ugh. Cases of foam for storage. Then you need a good looking dedicated table (or two) for it. Painted and probably flocked or whatever, etc. Now you need a shitload of terrain which you need to either buy or make and then paint as well. If you don't do all this it just looks like shit. Further, I don't want to play just one "faction". That's weird and boring. It's not feasible to play several. So it really is a hobby into itself and it's time consuming. All for what? Heroscape might not be the deepest experience but it's enough for me with respect to skirmish games. And generally, there is too much competition from the low-entry boardgaming side of things.

Now if I had a cool neighbor like you who was into some shit I could get into it, maybe. But it's not gonna happen any time soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
13 Sep 2015 15:35 #210605 by hotseatgames
I'm not buying the latest Mage Knight expansion, due to horrid production issues. If they reprint it and correct everything, then I'll revisit the topic.

Now, I'm not crazy like some of the people up in arms over on TOS, but they made monster tokens that aren't even the same size as the earlier ones. There's no excuse for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds