October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What board games are you NOT buying?

More
13 Sep 2015 15:38 #210606 by OldHippy

hotseatgames wrote: I'm not buying the latest Mage Knight expansion, due to horrid production issues. If they reprint it and correct everything, then I'll revisit the topic.

Now, I'm not crazy like some of the people up in arms over on TOS, but they made monster tokens that aren't even the same size as the earlier ones. There's no excuse for that.

Same boat for me too. I'm not furious since the game is great and I already have a lot of stuff for it to play with. I simply won't buy it, it doesn't make me angry or anything I just save some money for now or buy something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2015 17:43 - 13 Sep 2015 17:45 #210607 by bfkiller

hotseatgames wrote: I'm not buying the latest Mage Knight expansion, due to horrid production issues. If they reprint it and correct everything, then I'll revisit the topic.

Now, I'm not crazy like some of the people up in arms over on TOS, but they made monster tokens that aren't even the same size as the earlier ones. There's no excuse for that.

I think the different sized monster tokens was likely a misguided design choice rather than a production flaw. The setup for at least one of the new scenarios (the one I've played) has the tokens separated into the new factions, which would be a pain in the ass if they were all the same size. I just keep the new monster tokens separated and will only use them with the relevant scenarios. No big deal. If I want to permanently mix the tokens, I'd probably buy three draw bags.

Having said that, the cards are also thin and weak, the character is poorly painted and mine is loose on its base, and the rules are crumpled because they're a few millimeters bigger than the packaging.

None of that is a deal breaker for me, though. I think it's worth it if you can find it at a decent price.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2015 17:45 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
13 Sep 2015 18:42 #210608 by Grudunza

There is. It was done on purpose, as they are used exclusively for the new scenarios. And they're not so different that mixing them together would matter, anyway. I mean that both ways; not so different in size and not so different in detail. I don't like being an apologist for WizKids quality, as they do have a lot of issues, but in that particular case I think it's fine.

More
13 Sep 2015 20:07 #210609 by DukeofChutney

Gary Sax wrote: I deeply want some of the MMP games but DukeofChutney outlines the problem perfectly. Right now I seriously just want to put the reprint of the GCACW on Bull Run on my shelf, even if I NEVER play it, but I know that is fucked up consumerist reasoning.

I had the AH older version of SWJ's way. Its a good game system, i only hocked it because getting opponents for ACW games is even harder than wargames in general. It has a good campaign feel and lots of short quite tactically rich scenarios, its also fairly low counter density. The rules are fairly simple. The only real downside is the combat system, its pretty cool but requires a calculator and a pen.

More
13 Sep 2015 21:28 - 13 Sep 2015 21:56 #210612 by Mr. White
Well not buying _most_ games but I feel this thread is specifically about why you aren't buying new hawtness.

I'm not in on loopin chewie. Don't need a game that could have a motor go out. Plus, I've got several kids games all ready. I may get it on clearance.

Also not sold on this Star Wars Risk. It doesn't really seem to do the same thing Queens Gambit did and I've already got Nexus Ops for light 2-4 player sci-fi DoaM action.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2015 21:56 by Mr. White.

More
13 Sep 2015 22:15 - 14 Sep 2015 00:40 #210613 by Frohike
Not sold on The Others: 7 Sins.

I know some folks here have jumped on board, and it's Eric Lang & all, etc. But everything about this is just off-kilter for me and not in a good way. The sins being incorporated as variations of tentacally blobs is boring and tame. The vibe comes off as trying to be "extreme" in a teenage variant of Garbage Pail Kids that doesn't really carry any kind of transgressive air to it (look out for those corrupted hobos, always stealing your shit amirite?). I'm surprised nothing has punny names yet. It's basically just a bunch of Cthulhu crap with arbitrary "sin" tags. The Hell Club (... really?) wears some bondage stuff, I guess. How Matrixey!

The gameplay is dull as hell, from what I've seen so far, and I still don't like the idea of 1 overpowered antagonist player quasi-GMing to kill 4 other players (but not too hard! gotta make it fun!). The "branching" looks really simple, but maybe some scenarios will warp the game mechanics a bit more, who knows. I can't say that would be much of a selling point for me, in any case. On top of these curmudgeonly grievances of mine, I think the tile art looks too clean and computer-generated, like a dull top-down Sim City clone or something.

I look at this, then contrast it with stuff like Cave Evil or Claustrophobia, or even some of the source material like Hellboy, and it just comes off as vapid & un-integrated, both in the gameplay and the aesthetic pretense that coats it. I'm sure it'll be successful, though, and the aftermarket for the KS editions will be huge, etc, etc.

And hey, Blood Rage rubbed me the wrong way (and still does), so what do I know.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 00:40 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister

More
14 Sep 2015 00:52 #210614 by Space Ghost
On top of that, they are only including 2 sins from the get go (I assume others must be stretch goals). Something about that just irritates me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike

More
14 Sep 2015 04:57 #210615 by Chaz
Also seems like they've got one stretch goal for the main avatar and rules cards for a new sin faction, then a second stretch goal for the rest of the figures for that faction. So if they only manage to get that first goal, but not the extra $25k they "need" to unlock the rest of the faction, what, you're stuck with having to proxy in the rest of the figures to use it? Or you have to buy the whole faction anyway? Or they just magically unlock the whole faction, because let's face it, stretch goals are a bullshit Xbox Achievement system anyway, except with real money.

More
14 Sep 2015 10:01 #210617 by Jackwraith

Space Ghost wrote: On top of that, they are only including 2 sins from the get go (I assume others must be stretch goals). Something about that just irritates me.

Two of the stretch goals have to be Gluttony and Greed, amirite?

More
17 Sep 2015 12:47 #210835 by Msample
No more Living Card games. I've got a ton of Warhammer Invasion and Lord of the Rings. The latter can be played solo, but the lack of local opponents as well as the time suck of deck building and money suck of expansions have pushed me away from getting sucked into another, such as the upcoming reboot of Game of Thrones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Frohike, DukeofChutney, sornars

More
17 Sep 2015 13:35 #210839 by SuperflyPete

Jackwraith wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: On top of that, they are only including 2 sins from the get go (I assume others must be stretch goals). Something about that just irritates me.

Best. Comment. In. History.

More
17 Sep 2015 16:46 #210851 by boothwah

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Jackwraith wrote:

Best. Comment. In. History.

Should definitely be in the running for FA:PotY. I heard everyone who gets in the top 10 gets a free month of MB10K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
17 Sep 2015 16:56 #210853 by Michael Barnes
That's true, but it's only at the Copper tier and it auto-renews, charging your CC if you don't call and speak directly to an MB10K representative..

That 7 Sins game...now THAT is a game that would not exist if it weren't for Kickstarter. THAT is the kind of game that really requires Kickstarter to get published. Thanks a lot all you backing jackasses for making that sort of shit viable. It sounds like there's a good concept there, but the selling of it is just as deplorable as any kind of freemium bullshit. They are telling the consumer "you can buy part of this game...if you really want to...but there's more over here!" It's like they are holding content hostage to try to persuade people to pay them more money. It's a fucking ransom-based system of marketing.

I'm also not buying any LCGs anymore. I'm over that. The model is fine, but Msample's comments are right on the money. Netrunner is one of the best games ever. But I never play it, I never build the decks, I don't really have anyone in close proximity playing it. So what's the point.

More
18 Sep 2015 14:10 #210933 by Dr. Mabuse

Msample wrote: No more Living Card games. I've got a ton of Warhammer Invasion and Lord of the Rings. The latter can be played solo, but the lack of local opponents as well as the time suck of deck building and money suck of expansions have pushed me away from getting sucked into another, such as the upcoming reboot of Game of Thrones.

Yep, I ended up selling my lot of Android: Netrunner for the same reasons. I love column conquest games like Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Battle Line and Omen and I would have bought Warhammer: Conquest had it been a stand alone game. No more LCG/ CCGs for me.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:38 #211123 by Stonecutter

ThirstyMan wrote: Agree with comments on BTTR. In the same vein as Repo's rejection of Grand Tactical Series, I love me some OCS but can't pull the trigger on this one, at the moment.

Not buying any of Verssen's games.

Buying from someone slightly to the right of Hitler annoys me. I do have standards.

Aw man, seriously? I didn't know that. Damn it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds