October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The 7th Continent

More
06 May 2018 15:06 #272738 by wkover
I have to be a bit careful, I guess. They're reprinting all of the cards - not the box, dice, etc. Still, if you have the 7C cards you essentially have the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2018 22:09 #272756 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic 7th continent
Compiling non-superficial info/impressions from board games played thread into here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 May 2018 18:27 - 07 May 2018 18:51 #272844 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic 7th continent
After 19 hours, we're about ready to finish the first curse (Voracious Goddess). Should be done in ~2 hours, unless we screw up badly. Which means we likely have 10 hours left.

We could have finished earlier, as there was something important that we bypassed (wrong equipment and ideas) and forgot about. But then we got lucky and stumbled across it again. Otherwise I'm not sure we would have ever finished. We're also better about photographing the card layout each time before we save, which helps us remember key tiles.

Anyway, I think it's fair to characterize our first real attempt as a strong mosey. We took our time and enjoyed the frightening scenery. I suspect that we've seen a good chunk of the island at this point, so I'm curious what the other curses have in store in terms of fresh terrain and adventure.

Edit: We still haven't died yet (yay us), but we did get close last session. We got cocky, flubbed an action, and then consecutively became injured, bloody, freezing, tired, poisoned, and something else. Sweet hipped, maybe, I don't remember. Luckily we stumbled across a fishing site, or we would have been prostrate before the goddess in the most painful way possible - emaciated, starving, and down to our last squirrel nugget.

I'm doing curse #2 with a different teammate (wife instead of son), so it'll be fun to start fresh with a new player.

Final thought, in the category of general advice. Be aware that 7C will punish you for doing something unwise or silly. The game takes its survival seriously, and has no problem killing you if you don't. E.g., it may not be the best idea to put a poptart-shaped plant into your mouth, jump into a pit in which the bottom isn't visible, or put your hand into a menacing hole that makes digestion noises - just because you're "curious to see what will happen". It's quite possible that what will happen is exactly what would happen in real life. Also, would you consider going on a day-long hike in a "real" unexplored area without backup food? Then you might not want to do that here either.

Anyway, no spoilers in any of that. Just friendly advice. Or, in the spirit of the game, foggy advice against a background of maiming and destruction.
Last edit: 07 May 2018 18:51 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Frohike

More
07 May 2018 18:58 #272846 by Gary Sax
Yeah, that fits with what Charles keeps mentioning that whether you actually want to die and replay everything again in a given curse is a... personal choice.

More
09 May 2018 17:43 - 09 May 2018 17:44 #272974 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic 7th continent
Voracious Goddess finished! Clocked in at ~22 hours. By the time we won, we'd added 24 Advanced Skill cards to the action deck. We could have had more, but we beelined for the finish without spending our remaining XP. # of deaths: zero.

Looking forward to the next curse. After that, I may need a longish break to keep it fresh.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 17:44 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Jul 2018 11:17 - 04 Jul 2018 12:24 #276873 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic The 7th Continent
Apparently the 7th Continent kickstarter pledge manager is now open to anyone. So those of you who regret missing out can still get it.

app.crowdox.com/projects/1926712971/the-...es-up-must-come-down
Last edit: 04 Jul 2018 12:24 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
04 Jul 2018 12:17 #276875 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic 7th continent
How much was the base game originally? I'm seeing it selling now for $115 (and shipping) and a local guy is pushing it for $160. #FOMO

More
26 Jun 2019 23:45 #298912 by Gary Sax
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2227603/7th...ic-edition-announced

Interesting development. I was so, so close on going in on this one several times. I honestly could do without most of the differences except the extra card expansions. In a world where I had more cash, I could see going in on this. I'd like to try 7th continent.

More
27 Jun 2019 09:54 #298918 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic 7th continent
I ended up going with Tainted Grail last year - 7th Continent didn't quite hook me but TG did some of what 7C did plus a lot of other stuff I really liked the sound of, plus it comes with two more expansions !
And at a price that doesn't make Mr Barnes buy more WH toys instead.

Late pledges appear to be still open (apologies if not)
gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/tai...il#/project-overview

More
27 Jun 2019 14:30 #298938 by Gary Sax
Tainted Grail didn't do all that much for me art wise when I looked at it, but I'm open to hearing more. Is it shipped yet?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/...e-down/posts/2546761

The spot where the 7th continent news came from also talks about their next game, 7th citadel. Dark fantasy is kind of eh for me right now but I'm very curious to hear how their building mechanics will differ from the survival mechanics.

More
27 Jun 2019 18:57 #298952 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic 7th continent

Gary Sax wrote: Tainted Grail didn't do all that much for me art wise when I looked at it, but I'm open to hearing more. Is it shipped yet?

Wave 1 ships September I think but I have plenty to play at the moment so I'm getting it all in one lot next year.

More
16 Dec 2019 12:42 #305165 by Gary Sax
So I got tk342's copy of the replaced cards of 7th Continent, hoping to play it this winter break. Looks up my partner and I's alley.

I'm trying to figure out what all I have. I *think* it's the collector's edition base game with kickstarter extras from the first campaign ( www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4812789/zakoholic )? Does anyone know what all they replaced with those replacement cards by any chance?

More
16 Dec 2019 14:40 #305171 by tk342
Replied by tk342 on topic 7th continent
yeah, it's everything from the 2nd Kickstarter Base Box, which is a reprint of the 1st Kickstarter, including the 1st Kickstarter stretch goals. (but not any of the stretch goals from the 2nd kickstarter). I think that matches up with what's called the "collector's edition" in that image. It would make sense, that's certainly the box it came in.

In other news, hope you enjoy! I think you're now the 2nd person who's ended up with these replacement cards? I think I orginally sent them to ah_pook.

In other, other news, as predicted when I first offered them up, I still have yet to play the game myself. Other than an aborted 3-tile solo effort at the intro curse. One of these days...

More
16 Dec 2019 14:59 #305174 by Gary Sax
Yeah, he tried it but graciously agreed to send it to me gratis after some plays with it.

If it's a hit maybe I'll buy your huge lot off you and send the kickstarter replaced cards to another TWBGer. ;)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds