October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Wiz War virgin

More
11 Nov 2015 23:43 #214873 by Joebot
Wiz War virgin was created by Joebot
Hey everybody,

I've got my brother and a buddy coming over on Saturday to play some games. I'm looking to bust out my new, unpunched copy of Wiz War. None of us have ever played it before, and I'm very excited. However, after reading over the rules, I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which boards we should use (new or classic), which magic schools, which victory conditions, etc.? It looks like there's a whole bunch of different options. Any thoughts on the best way to play for a bunch of Wiz War newbies??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2015 00:01 #214874 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Wiz War virgin
Use every rule in the back of the book marked as classic. The game became something special only after I switched to the old rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
12 Nov 2015 00:16 #214876 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Wiz War virgin
I agree with the above.

More
12 Nov 2015 00:27 #214878 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Wiz War virgin
Old Rules. The game is amazing. It plays like you think it would. Funky maze, crazy spells, get those chests. That's it. It's fucking great. Make sure you let us know when you teleport your brother into a wall.

More
12 Nov 2015 00:48 - 12 Nov 2015 00:49 #214880 by san il defanso
I once played a game where I managed to seal in my buddy with a wall after he grabbed my treasure. I was feeling pretty smug until he played the card that let him switch with any player, and he trapped me there. It was obviously going to take too long punch myself out, so I played a card that generated an explosion to blow up the wall, and that ended up killing me.

I also remember the time that someone killed me by dragging me over a rosebush over and over again until I died.

This is one game I've not been able to make happen much since moving to Texas, and it's a shame. It really is one of the best ones out there.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 00:49 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, stoic

More
12 Nov 2015 08:03 #214886 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Wiz War virgin
I have not used the classic rules, so I'll have to try that. For my first time I went with the suggested spell schools they talk about in the front of the rulebook. I think I used the new side of the maze boards, but I really didn't see a lot of difference.

More
12 Nov 2015 09:49 #214895 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Wiz War virgin

hotseatgames wrote: I have not used the classic rules, so I'll have to try that. For my first time I went with the suggested spell schools they talk about in the front of the rulebook. I think I used the new side of the maze boards, but I really didn't see a lot of difference.

This is one of the things I was curious about. I found a post on BGG that suggested you throw all the cards from all the schools into one big pile, and go with that. That sounds like more fun.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. I watched the Sit Down & Shut Up video where they played Wiz War, and it was fucking hilarious. Game looks great, I can't wait to play it.

More
12 Nov 2015 10:13 #214898 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Wiz War virgin
Yep, go with the "Big Deck" option and play all of the cards at once.

More
12 Nov 2015 10:43 - 12 Nov 2015 10:46 #214903 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Wiz War virgin
Deadly Treasures is not optional.

Regardless of the rest of the old rules, that one never should have been marked as optional. It completely jacks up the offense/defense mix of the game if you're not constantly watching your own treasures.

Most of the "race" problem people find is due to that.

In general, I like the old rules (and don't like those kids on my lawn), but Deadly Treasures is an absolute must in any scenario.

The other ones that are almost as important are Uncluttered Minds and Permanent Creations (which go together, really). Look at San's story about walling in a player, and then being switched. Now imagine the let-down when the walled-in player says "okay, so I'll just stop maintaining this wall and walk right out."

That's boring. Placing objects that end up screwing you half an hour later is part of the fun. Don't murder the fun.

Also, regarding old-vs-new boards, the old boards tend to be twistier, with a slightly higher number of spaces to get from an entrance to a treasure. That slows down the treasure race a bit, and gives more time for spell-slinging. My recommendation is to play either, but be sort of wary of mixing them.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 10:46 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith, san il defanso, Frohike, drewcula, Egg Shen, stoic

More
12 Nov 2015 11:08 #214910 by san il defanso
It's not a Wiz-War thread until Not Sure shows up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Not Sure

More
12 Nov 2015 12:48 #214922 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Wiz War virgin
Yes. Giant Book of Spels, Uncluttered Minds, Permanent Creations are all essential. Frankenstein wouldn't have been an interesting story if he didn't lose control of his own creation. Same thing here. Also, pending your results, you might want to consider pruning the number of defensive/counterspells that FFG's version has. We tend to like our WW games to be bloody and it's really disappointing when you load up that big Powerthrust more than once in a game only to have it nullified because everyone is carrying around a Shield spell or three. But, again, that's pending results. Some people like defense and it will be your first play. I've just found that even first-timers were getting a little frustrated when we played with the FFG original card list.

More
12 Nov 2015 13:16 #214923 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Wiz War virgin
Now I want to play Wiz-War again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, stoic

More
12 Nov 2015 14:56 #214935 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Wiz War virgin
I agree with what pretty much everyone has been saying. Especially the part about pruning the counter spells. If you just have just the base game this is a must. It stinks coming up with a cool turn and then the other person is like, "Nah bro...I played this counter spell". Wiz-War is much better when it is violent, bloody and unpredictable.

Also, what are you doing on BGG looking at Wiz-War advice? Those fools have no clue whats up. They argue over timing of cards, spell wording...EVERYTHING. Here is a pro tip...don't sweat the details in Wiz-War. If something can happen that is bullshit-y, wizard-y and ridiculous...it's probably allowed. That is what makes the game amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, allismom3, Not Sure, san il defanso, Frohike, stoic

More
12 Nov 2015 16:47 #214946 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Wiz War virgin

Egg Shen wrote: Also, what are you doing on BGG looking at Wiz-War advice? Those fools have no clue whats up. They argue over timing of cards, spell wording...EVERYTHING. Here is a pro tip...don't sweat the details in Wiz-War. If something can happen that is bullshit-y, wizard-y and ridiculous...it's probably allowed. That is what makes the game amazing.

This is the real life lesson here. Everyone tries to make game rules so air tight these days, like it needs to get programmed for the App Store next week with perfect fidelity. WIZ-WAR is a crazy mess and really needs to stay that way. I wouldn't ban counter spells, but they should be rare to maximize the insanity of the whole experience. That way, when someone actually does have two of them and screws the whole world it'll be even more exciting and awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
12 Nov 2015 17:08 #214947 by san il defanso
Friends don't let friends talk about Wiz-War on BGG. Same with Cosmic Encounter.

The base game is a bit heavy on counters, though not enough that I felt compelled to remove any. But with both expansions in there, it's a good deal more insane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Not Sure, Frohike, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds