October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk: XIA

More
11 May 2016 15:35 - 11 May 2016 15:36 #227321 by SuperflyPete
Let's talk: XIA was created by SuperflyPete
I find that this game is more open and much easier to play than Merchants and Marauders, whilst "in the same mind space", so to speak. The bits are far better, but the downside for me is that it retails for M&M and the expansion's price. Call it a trophy game or whatever, you wouldn't be wrong, but it's a shitload of fun in my book. Firefly isn't even close to as good as this, primarily because the gameplay is so much more open and varied. I do, however, like the Firefly money better by far than the coins. Prettiest money I've ever seen in a game.

My only complaint is that the first game we played, downtime became a bit of a problem (3 players) but the second game (with 1 new player, 4P game) was stellar. So many memorable moments, not the least of which is that we discovered that the money in the game can double as a really interesting-sounding guitar pick.

Anyone else played this? Thoughts? I'm looking at a bunch of mod stuff they put out and the hamsters in my brain are openly weeping from what I'm planning on doing. Think: Serenity.
Last edit: 11 May 2016 15:36 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2016 16:26 - 12 May 2016 09:06 #227327 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's talk: XIA
I like Xia quite a bit and wouldn't change my review I wrote over a year ago. My main complaints though are that player on player combat is very ineffective and that it needs an Event deck. The latter half of the game feels static because the board is already explored and nothing changes.

I still feel M&M is better.

Edit - I said "it needs an AI deck" but I meant "it needs an Event deck"
Last edit: 12 May 2016 09:06 by charlest.

More
11 May 2016 17:17 #227329 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Let's talk: XIA
I think this is more accessible by far (than M&M) but I can totally see how someone would feel as you and Michael do. We didn't have too much trouble with the board being exposed, and the combat was long-and-drawn-out, but it should be. I'm thinking that if you're in a space cruiser, with shields, you shouldn't be able to one-shot it. It's more of a "trading volleys" thing, IMHO.

I just reviewed it: superflycircus.com/2016/05/xia-this-worl...ill-smiths-marriage/

More
12 May 2016 08:23 #227362 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Let's talk: XIA
I'd love to give it a try, but reviews are all over the place too much for me to drop $80 on it.

More
12 May 2016 09:08 #227367 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let's talk: XIA

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think this is more accessible by far (than M&M) but I can totally see how someone would feel as you and Michael do. We didn't have too much trouble with the board being exposed, and the combat was long-and-drawn-out, but it should be. I'm thinking that if you're in a space cruiser, with shields, you shouldn't be able to one-shot it. It's more of a "trading volleys" thing, IMHO.

I just reviewed it: superflycircus.com/2016/05/xia-this-worl...ill-smiths-marriage/

I had a typo in my previous comment, I think the game really needs an Event deck.

But combat, it's like impossible to kill someone who has the same level shields as you do blasters. Even missiles can be hard.

Multiple volleys don't work because you get one round of combat per action, after each combat round though the player can recharge their shields. It's only really a threat if you get lucky on a huge missile roll or if the player is low on energy, which you should rarely ever be.

More
05 Jun 2016 20:25 - 05 Jun 2016 22:11 #228634 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's talk: XIA
So this is happening:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/...s-of-a-forsaken-star

I'm tempted to buy the base game and it, it's a favorite genre of mine. But I'm not totally convinced. This expansion does look like part new, part patch. Which I don't have a huge problem with if the base game was decent enough.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 22:11 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Jun 2016 21:50 #228638 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's talk: XIA

Gary Sax wrote: So this is happening:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/...s-of-a-forsaken-star

I'm tempted to buy the base game and it, it's a favorite genre of mind. But I'm not totally convinced. This expansion does look like part new, part patch. Which I don't have a huge problem with if the base game was decent enough.

I've been eying Xia for awhile and this expansion + core seems like a good point to jump in. I was wondering if they'd release a 2.0 rule set, but this seems just as good. Plus a Sellsword v2 (some gnashing of teeth from original backers, but I think it was a smart choice). It's going to be an expensive month.

More
05 Jun 2016 21:57 #228639 by Gary Sax
Is Sellsword worth an extra 20 bucks or whatever to those F:ATties who have played the game?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
05 Jun 2016 23:34 - 05 Jun 2016 23:35 #228644 by SuperflyPete
It was actually either my idea or he had the same idea.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jun 2016 23:35 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 Jun 2016 08:05 #228650 by Legomancer
I was on the fence for an $80 Xia even after playing it some, and this makes me even more on the fence. The idea of backing a $115 Kickstarter makes me itch all over and want to take a Silkwood shower. But I might, I just might.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
06 Jun 2016 08:57 #228655 by Legomancer
Also what even is a Sellsword and is there any reason on earth I should pay an extra $20 for one?

More
06 Jun 2016 10:48 #228659 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Let's talk: XIA
Haven't played, but from what I can tell for the Sellsword you could print out the rules card and just proxy the ship. Not worth $20 for a mini and card for me. Maybe someone who knows can confirm this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
06 Jun 2016 14:00 #228673 by SuperflyPete
Thats exactly what I've been doing.

More
11 Sep 2017 18:48 - 12 Sep 2017 10:27 #254079 by Gary Sax
Been playing this a bit so I thought I'd light up the specific thread. It really is good about incentivizing a grab bag of different things. I typically gain points from missions, titles, delivering goods, etc in every game. I think that's good for the game. The diversity of ship special powers is fun too. I like the "recall" ship the most so far.

Haven't done much combat since I play 2p and my spouse would lose her shit if we started fighting. The game is good about populating the world with conflict options that aren't your fellow players. So even if they choose to be super careful, turtle up, etc you still have targets that can give you good FP and $$$.

Also, if you play this, even if you don't have the expansion, just start playing with the economy board from the expansion. It's easy to mock up, you don't need the components from the expansion. It helps the game considerably by making merchants less powerful. Other stuff from the expansion is a good idea too but not as vital (e.g. shield piercer, the thing that gives you an auto +2 to movement rolls, etc).

It is DEFINITELY not a tight game, FWIW. Messy, tons of rolling, etc. For me, personally, it has a ton of charm though. It really feels like a game that kickstarter was actually made for in the optimistic sense. Also, normally fuck special money but the money in this game is legit the best money I've had in a game outside of sweet paper money in something like Firefly.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2017 10:27 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
12 Sep 2017 08:49 #254092 by Legomancer
I've been on the fence about this so many times. I've only played it once, and that was a short game that wasn't explained well.

My concern is that this has Shelf Toad all over it. It already looks similar to Merchant of Venus or MErchants and Marauders, and I can't get THOSE played regularly. $80 is a lot to spend on something that will just warm a shelf.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds