October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk: XIA

More
12 Sep 2017 09:12 - 12 Sep 2017 09:13 #254094 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Let's talk: XIA

Legomancer wrote: I've been on the fence about this so many times. I've only played it once, and that was a short game that wasn't explained well.

My concern is that this has Shelf Toad all over it. It already looks similar to Merchant of Venus or MErchants and Marauders, and I can't get THOSE played regularly. $80 is a lot to spend on something that will just warm a shelf.

Yeah, but it's a Kickstarter, so if you're not buying it you're not supporting boardgaming. There wouldn't be any boardgames if people thought the way you do.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2017 09:13 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2017 10:16 #254098 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Let's talk: XIA
I saw it last year at Origins. It's really pretty. My inner 12-year-old approves. But I have the same issue as Lego does - I can't get Merchants and Marauders on the table, and I already own that.

More
12 Sep 2017 10:34 #254100 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's talk: XIA

Legomancer wrote: I've been on the fence about this so many times. I've only played it once, and that was a short game that wasn't explained well.

My concern is that this has Shelf Toad all over it. It already looks similar to Merchant of Venus or MErchants and Marauders, and I can't get THOSE played regularly. $80 is a lot to spend on something that will just warm a shelf.

You're probably making a wise decision. I don't think it's different enough from the two you mentioned to buy it if you don't play those much. It's like a much less focused version of those two games but with more to do. But not as good at either of the things those games are good at respectively (route efficiency pick up and deliver, player interaction). I do like the way it rewards puttering around the galaxy rather than laser focus in 1 or 2 activities you decide on from the start, which I think is slightly unique in the genre.

Also, it's a pretty game but it's also a bit amateurish in spots. Some of the prepaints are LAUGHABLY bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 May 2018 23:07 #272762 by Nagajur
Replied by Nagajur on topic Let's talk: XIA
I played this again this weekend. Personally I found it much easier to teach than merchants and Marauders. The combat is also a bit less crunchy. In M&M I feel like Missions are somewhat Impossible due to NPCs and limited mobility, but the gates and big ass engines helped with that here. What I really appreciate is that the player tableaus are super simple yet feel very substantial as the game goes on. There was plenty of room to create more stuff for the player to manage, but the designer managed to keep the fun on the central board and not on the tableau. The exception there is damage, which is hilarious to watch someone place, slowly blowing up. The economy board is a must.

I am definitely tossing firefly to the sell pile in place of this. I just can't part with M&M quite yet for the theme alone.

This, Fallen Land, and Cthulhu Wars might be my top three Kickstarter games.

More
06 May 2018 23:48 - 06 May 2018 23:48 #272765 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's talk: XIA
That was basically my reaction, fwiw. I'm not grandstanding or anything but it did replace firefly for me. I think it's a much better space adventure/choose your adventure pn a map game. In particular, all the things you do feel much more organic than firefly, which is absolutely laser focused around getting missions from mission givers and sifting the card piles.

Haven't played in a while. My wife has cooled a bit on it a bit.
Last edit: 06 May 2018 23:48 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds