October 09, 2023
2513 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Trek: Ascendancy

More
12 Oct 2016 13:26 #235981 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

Josh Look wrote: Amazon has had it at full MSRP or higher for awhile now, but I see they're expecting some in tomorrow (10/13) that are at a somewhat discounted price ($90). This could be the answer to when we can expect it to hit online retailers.

FWIW, GF9 has been saying that it would be hitting stores over three weeks, this makes week 3. BGG users could stand to learn that BGG is not the hobby as a whole and publishers don't need to pay attention to their little pocket universe. However, I do think fulfilling orders should take priority over having stock for conventions. I'd hate to find out they're selling it at Essen.

Start hating, they'll have it at Essen.

www.facebook.com/GaleForceNine/posts/655860557915666

As much as I think the lack of info on retail availability is not great ( how does Amazon get restocked before some places even get their initial order - oh wait, they have a big fucking checkbook ) I have zero problem with companies selling the game at convention. They need to defray expenses somehow, the truth is these copies were probably direct shipped to Germany vs being shipped here then flown over there, and its not like this was a Kickstarter or something where people gave them money up front . And it will help spread word of the game over there just as GenCon does here.

But yeah, it won't go over well given the current situation regarding availability.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2016 13:37 #235983 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
BGGers gotta hurry up and get it so they can play it twice before perma-shelving it when they move onto the next hot game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, jpat, Msample, vegasrobb

More
12 Oct 2016 13:50 #235985 by Msample

Mad Dog wrote: BGGers gotta hurry up and get it so they can play it twice before perma-shelving it when they move onto the next hot game.

Yeah its coming up on their busy season when they rush to be the first to post unboxing videos on the latest Essen hotness they flew back from Europe with after the show .

More
12 Oct 2016 13:50 #235986 by Michael Barnes
Unfortunately, filling preorders is not the priority over major trade show/convention appearances. The game is launching in Europe at Essen, GF9 can't show up with no copies. Business is business.

Preorders are in the hands of retailers. If GF9 or distributors are having supply chain issues then that is something beyond the wants of consumers.

I skimmed a little of that thread and it was all like Veruca Salt whining "but I want it now, daddy!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unicron

More
12 Oct 2016 14:28 #235988 by Msample
If only there was a trap door we could have BGGers go over and stand on top of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Josh Look

More
12 Oct 2016 15:08 #235994 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
^only if they pay upfront to do it.

More
12 Oct 2016 15:37 #235997 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
I posted a question on BGG asking if anyone still had the expansion ad sheet that comes in box because I threw mine away and wanted some info off of it. The first response was basically someone complaining that they didn't even have the game yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Oct 2016 15:55 #236005 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
No no, see, this is all an elaborate ploy by GF9 to support the Star Trek IP. The first non-pilot episode of Star Trek TOS, back when the Federation was at Ascendancy 1, was all about a hideous alien creature that mesmerized human victims by enticing them with an illusion of loveliness, and then it sucked all the salt out of them until they died.

The madmen actually did it. Genius, I say: genius!

More
12 Oct 2016 16:16 #236010 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Feelitmon wrote:

No no, see, this is all an elaborate ploy by GF9 to support the Star Trek IP. The first non-pilot episode of Star Trek TOS, back when the Federation was at Ascendancy 1, was all about a hideous alien creature that mesmerized human victims by enticing them with an illusion of loveliness, and then it sucked all the salt out of them until they died.

I would have bet cash money that the Salt Vampire episode was one of those bad S3 ones. I guess you learn something new every day. :)

More
12 Oct 2016 16:28 #236015 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
A guy in one of my old rpg groups had us over for a cookout and gaming one time. His wife literally coated a slice of watermelon with table salt, so I called her the Salt Vampire. I was never invited over again. They moved back to Tennessee six months later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Varys

More
12 Oct 2016 16:37 #236020 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

Shellhead wrote: A guy in one of my old rpg groups had us over for a cookout and gaming one time. His wife literally coated a slice of watermelon with table salt, so I called her the Salt Vampire. I was never invited over again. They moved back to Tennessee six months later.

You're lucky you escaped with your life! That said, I've tried the salt-on-watermelon thing and it's kind of interesting. Not my preference but not as horrid as it sounds. She sounds like she was an alien though, definitely.

More
12 Oct 2016 18:09 #236028 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
I just tried salt on watermelon recently as well, and it tasted like...salt and watermelon. just two distinct flavors that I feel don't really do anything for each other.

More
13 Oct 2016 10:16 #236064 by Varys
Replied by Varys on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy

Shellhead wrote: A guy in one of my old rpg groups had us over for a cookout and gaming one time. His wife literally coated a slice of watermelon with table salt, so I called her the Salt Vampire. I was never invited over again. They moved back to Tennessee six months later.

Yeah, I don't get the salt on watermelon thing at all. I can kind of understand putting it on the rind since the rind has that cucumber-like taste and cucumbers with salt is a good thing, but yeah, why ruin a perfectly sweet juicy watermelon with salt?

Also, screw people who put salt on every goddamn thing especially before tasting it. I'm talking about people who dump salt in salsa, on pizza, in nacho cheese, on salads with loads of ranch dressing already, etc. I think it says something about their mentality when they do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
13 Oct 2016 10:19 #236066 by Varys
Replied by Varys on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Oh and on topic, I preordered this game from CSI in early August. I have a couple of other games attached to the order, so I'm even more irritated that it's taking GF9 this long to get this shit out. Every convention they've been to since August, they've had plenty in stock and they never sold out, so wtf? And, as someone mentioned before, I suspect it's just going to become a shelf toad for me especially when you add in all the expansions and factions I'm sure I'll sucker myself into getting over the next several years. Sigh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Oct 2016 10:21 #236067 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Star Trek: Ascendancy
Absolutely toad material in my house too, I hear you. Still can't resist, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds