October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Silver Tower

More
03 Oct 2016 07:58 - 03 Oct 2016 08:24 #235356 by Mr. White
Do we have a proper one of these threads yet?
With a bunch of us expecting copies this week, seems like we should roll one out.

So, Matt mentioned exotic monsters that are not in the base game. What are these? creatures from the app or in the rulebook but there are no figs for? Anyone got a list so we can see what we need to collect to round this out?

There's been rumors of an undead version. Anyone know where these rumors came from? I can't find a source.

How can we edit the difficulty of the game? DDAS has the healing surges that you can increase or decrease the available amounts of to assist adjusting the difficulty. Anything like that in ST?

I've bought into the 'eternal champions' thing I understand the setting to be about. The greatest warriors across realms are transported to the Silver Tower...so what I _really_ want is a Blood Bowl orc. Hopefully, GW will package a free BB player in WD so I can buy just the one and custom up a card for the character.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 08:24 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2016 08:28 - 03 Oct 2016 08:32 #235359 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: So, Matt mentioned exotic monsters that are not in the base game. What are these? creatures from the app or in the rulebook but there are no figs for? Anyone got a list so we can see what we need to collect to round this out?

Mr. White wrote: How can we edit the difficulty of the game? DDAS has the healing surges that you can increase or decrease the available amounts of to assist adjusting the difficulty. Anything like that in ST?

The stats come in the rulebook, but there are no figures in the game. Essentially a few entries on the encounter chart say [monster] OR Exotic Monster, so if you own the figures you can substitute one of the exotics or, if not, just use the standard encounter from the base game. All the exotic monsters are a notch tougher than the standard encounters, so they increase the difficulty of the game.

There are four such monsters, all of which are Daemons. The Herald of Tzeentch, The Exalted Flamer and one or more (depending on the number of players) Flamers or Screamers.

If you buy the Burning Chariot of Tzeentch kit, you can get most of these exotics in one handy package. It comes with an Exalted Flamer and a Herald. It also comes with two Screamers but they'll need bases and some modelling work to trim their tails out of supporting scenery. I haven't done this yet, but it doesn't look too hard. Alternatively it's possible to use the scenery to mount them on a normal base, but they look a bit weird, with the model stuck way forward of the base itself.

There are other approaches to upping the challenge level. Many of the encounters are of the form "Place X monsters per player" so you can just increase the amount. Otherwise the rules say that all players need to roll a dice over their current number of skills in order to rest, otherwise set up another encounter. Just have them all subtract 1 from the roll. These are easily implemented house rules, mind - increasing the difficulty by using exotics is an official rule.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 08:32 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White

More
03 Oct 2016 08:47 #235365 by Michael Barnes
I went with the Flamers ($18) and the Screamers ($20) rather than fooling with that chariot. I may figure out a proxy for the Herald.

Hero choice affects difficulty somewhat...like, the Knight Venator is almost OP.

More
03 Oct 2016 09:07 #235368 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
I read a variant on BGG to help make the game more difficult. Apparently with 4 powerful heroes the enemies often don't survive long enough to attack back. The suggestion was to alternate hero and monster group activation by order of fastest initiative (agility). This way a hero goes, then the fastest monster group, then another hero, another monster group etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
03 Oct 2016 09:20 #235370 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
How about storage? Anyone go with a feldherr or battlefoam insert? Store the minis separately outside the ST box?

I guess storage is only a concern if you paint the minis and don't want them knocking around in the box.

More
03 Oct 2016 09:41 #235376 by Mr. White
also, are you restricted in the number of enemy types?

for example, in the DDAS games there's a 1-to-1 correlation with the cards. each monster has its own card.

is that the same deal here? if I want more horrors I simply buy more models or would I also need to make more cards?

More
03 Oct 2016 10:39 - 03 Oct 2016 10:48 #235385 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: is that the same deal here? if I want more horrors I simply buy more models or would I also need to make more cards?

Just more models - each monster has a stats page which serves for all the models on the board.

Realistically, though, blue and brimstone horrors are the only models you might want to get more of. I've yet to encounter a situation where you can spawn more than the model count of any other enemy types.

Usefully that Burning Chariot kit also comes with three more blue horrors - in fact it's the only place where you can get extra blue horrors :) Again without bases, although the base game comes with four more than you need, since you only want one based version of each familiar. Given it's the same price as one box of screamers or flamers, it does seem like the best value way to expand your base game.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 10:48 by Matt Thrower.

More
03 Oct 2016 10:45 - 03 Oct 2016 10:45 #235386 by Mr. White
Like I mentioned in the OP, I'd like to include a BB orc. Looking over the list of available GW expansion characters...that Savage Orruk Warboss has two abilities...a reroll and a shoulder charge. Sounds like a BB player to me. Rerolls being a crucial part of BB and shoulder charge is basically a 'blitz' or 'block'. Only thing that gives me pause is that the orruk warboss looks to have poor armour.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if GW does a BB character for ST with all the cross promoting they've been doing lately. In the event it's a human BB character though, I'm going to need this orc mod.

Matt, how'd you do that saint celestine card? Photoshop? I might need something similar for a bb orc on a card. Maybe also change the text slightly.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 10:45 by Mr. White.

More
03 Oct 2016 10:54 #235388 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: Matt, how'd you do that saint celestine card? Photoshop? I might need something similar for a bb orc on a card. Maybe also change the text slightly.

www.gimp.org/

More
03 Oct 2016 11:08 - 03 Oct 2016 11:24 #235390 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Michael Barnes wrote: Hero choice affects difficulty somewhat...like, the Knight Venator is almost OP.

They made some changes to him from the latest FAQ

Page 35 – Knight-Venator Change the Knight-Venator’s Agility to 4+.
Page 35 – Knight-Venator, Huntmaster Add the following sentence to this rule: ‘If you do so, the Hit value changes to 5+. ’

www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS...ilver_Tower_v1.1.pdf
Last edit: 03 Oct 2016 11:24 by Wetworks.

More
03 Oct 2016 11:16 #235391 by Mr. White
haven't played the game yet, but looking again at that savage orruk warboss.

If I improve the armor by one, but downgrade the agility by one...would this character be op? does that increase one stat while decreasing another wash the change yet make them a better thematic for a bb player? keeping the other abilities in mind.

More
03 Oct 2016 11:21 #235392 by Matt Thrower

Mr. White wrote: If I improve the armor by one, but downgrade the agility by one...would this character be op? does that increase one stat while decreasing another wash the change yet make them a better thematic for a bb player? keeping the other abilities in mind.

Don't know about the theme, but armour is way more important than agility. It keeps you alive if you're hit, whereas agility just allows you to move if you're next to a monster.

More
03 Oct 2016 17:10 #235417 by Mr. White
was it ever determined if those character cards are legit and what size to print them?

More
03 Oct 2016 17:12 #235418 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Mr. White wrote: was it ever determined if those character cards are legit and what size to print them?

You will have a copy soon, right?

If you need, I can measure them tonight. Also, GW put a nice link that collects all the current hero miniatures in one place. Looks like all of the Gorechosen (in box) characters are in the Silver Tower collection. I do like the cross-pollination of characters -- makes it more palatable to get single minis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Mr. White

More
04 Oct 2016 15:37 #235489 by Mr. White
This dude took the duplicate sprues to customize some of the Tower's minions.

I like it.

www.tga.community/forums/topic/1040-conv...er-tower-duplicates/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds