October 09, 2023
2490 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadow War: Armageddon

More
23 Jun 2017 21:04 #250369 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I have had the box set waiting for me to get some time to assemble, and tonight's eBay deal got me for Grey Knights, Harlequins, and Skitarii. At this point, I think I am just buying the hope of one day having the time to play.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2017 22:13 #250472 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
My Promethium Forge MDF terrain just shipped, AHEAD of schedule. Will post pics when I get it.

More
26 Jun 2017 23:15 #250475 by Michael Barnes
Looking forward to seeing how that turned out...lately we've been using my SW stuff for just plain ol' 40k. I mean, at this point I have about 4x6 worth of industrial terrain thanks to SW:

2x full SWA sets
1x Promethium Forge (the GW set)
1x Promethium Relay Pipes
2x Manufactorum (made into 3 buildings)
1x Haemotrope Reactor
1x Galvanic Servohaulers (2 tractors and a crane)
1x Munitorum Armored Containers (including barrels and crates)
1x Goliath truck
3x toxic goo craters (from Wargamma)
4x Quake Cannon Craters

And I've got two sets of the Pegasus Hobby "Gothic Ruins" coming- caught a weird deal on Amazon, for them both for like $35 shipped.

Really want another set of containers and that mysterious drill pictured on the SWA box...possibly another set of pipes.

So in sum, I'm glad I didn't go in for that KS.

More
27 Jun 2017 14:02 #250509 by celticgriffon

hotseatgames wrote: My Promethium Forge MDF terrain just shipped, AHEAD of schedule. Will post pics when I get it.

I would love to get a few of these can kits (vertical and horizontal) but I cannot seem to find a website or anything other than the kickstarter data.. Does anyone have an active link for the person or company behind Promethium Forge mdf terrain?

Cheers,
Michael

More
27 Jun 2017 15:15 #250511 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
I'm up to my eyeballs in terrain. Promethium Forge arrived, have five boxes of unopened Sector Mechanicus stuff. Trying to paint my Reactor that goes with the relay pipes.

More
27 Jun 2017 15:45 #250515 by hotseatgames

celticgriffon wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: My Promethium Forge MDF terrain just shipped, AHEAD of schedule. Will post pics when I get it.

I would love to get a few of these can kits (vertical and horizontal) but I cannot seem to find a website or anything other than the kickstarter data.. Does anyone have an active link for the person or company behind Promethium Forge mdf terrain?

Cheers,
Michael

www.etsy.com/shop/PromethiumForge?ref=search_shop_redirect
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

More
28 Jun 2017 12:10 - 28 Jun 2017 14:10 #250549 by celticgriffon
Signed up for etsy... tried to order three kits (two vertical, one horizontal). Shipping to Canada is 33.00 - same price as the damn kits. My lord... guess this kit must weigh 20 lbs???? I am not in Tuktoyaktuk ffs. We are less than 2 hrs to the US border... Yikes.

If anyone in the US is placing an order anytime soon and wants to make a few extra bucks shipping this stuff to the great white north let me know. I can pay you via paypal.

On another note - Barnes -that is a crap, crap, crap load of terrain.

I purchased a bunch of artist canvas boards (12 inches square) at Michael's Craft shop using one of their 40% off coupons. Hoping to make each one into a modular terrain piece. Tonight I am hoping to put my kids (slave labour) to work. We are going to make some shipping containers using foam, cardboard and plasticard - the general idea lifted off terrain vids on the net (Terrain Tutor mostly). I also scoured the dollar store and hardware store and can't wait to see what we come up with. I would much rather build terrain than paint models any day.

Hoping to post some pics soon.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2017 14:10 by celticgriffon.

More
28 Jun 2017 19:44 #250581 by hotseatgames
Got my Promethium Forge kickstarter today. I was unprepared for the sheer volume of pieces and parts, many of which need to have some assembly. This is my first experience with MDF terrain, and I also didn't realize it's not etched on both sides. Not a huge deal, but a small one.

I'll probably be assembling this stuff for a while. That said, it looks great and the value can't be denied. Pics once I have something worth showing.

More
29 Jun 2017 01:00 - 29 Jun 2017 01:01 #250596 by Michael Barnes
On another note - Barnes -that is a crap, crap, crap load of terrain.

Yeah. It's really too much to be honest. Listing it out made me realize I didn't need that extra kit I put up for sale. I was thinking at the time that I would want lots of walkways (Necromunda), but I've enjoyed it more used judiciously. The stuff works really well in 40k games, using pretty much the same rules as if they were buildings.

The Pegasus kits are GRRRRRRREAT. I got two of the Gothic City Ruins sets. Together they make 4 ruined corners. So you can Space them out and make destroyed buildings of any size. The kits look fantastic- I actually prefer them to the GW building ruin sets. They build in like two minutes, 100 percent snap fit, and you can paint them up in like 30 minutes (black spray/Mechanicus Standard Gray overbrush/Administratum Gray drybrush/Longbeard Gray drybrush/Wrack White OSL and then whatever you want for the floors- I did like a ceramic tile look).

I have to be honest here, 8th edition has all but moved SWA off the table. It's still a great game, don't get me wrong, and it is really quite different. But 8th is just so smooth-playing, quick, and effective. You lose the fun of putting together an "every man counts" squad and having great man to man battles, but you gain a better rule set overall. I really wish SWA was based on 8th...and I am fairly sure we will see an 8th-based skirmish rule set within a year.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2017 01:01 by Michael Barnes.

More
29 Jun 2017 08:30 #250601 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Yeah that doesn't surprise me, you never really showed any interested in the SWA Campaign system, which is where it greatly diverges from 40k,.

More
29 Jun 2017 08:32 #250602 by stormseeker75
Can you play smaller games of 8th edition? I really don't want to deal with like 50 models per side, all with different items. I've finally figured out enough to play SWA.

More
29 Jun 2017 09:21 - 29 Jun 2017 10:04 #250606 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Shadow War: Armageddon

stormseeker75 wrote: Can you play smaller games of 8th edition? I really don't want to deal with like 50 models per side, all with different items. I've finally figured out enough to play SWA.

We just played an Open Play, 25 Power Level game of 8th after playing lots and lots of SWA and Sigmar Skirmish. Seven Primaris Marines on one side (they brought a Dreadnought with them). It was fun, and some things are a flat-out improvement from the two skirmish games mentioned above. Using Power levels really discourages adding lots of exceptional weapons to each guy. You're really supposed to just squint at them, throw them together, and go.

As Charlie said earlier, the campaign and upgrade options are sorely missing from this mode of play, though you could easily adopt some.

I'm hooked. My friend is on the fence, which is saying something, too, as he has very fond memories of Necromunda, and very little investment in the rest of the 40k world.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2017 10:04 by GorillaGrody.

More
29 Jun 2017 21:40 - 29 Jun 2017 22:22 #250656 by celticgriffon
My boys (7 and 14 yrs) and I have been busy since last night... here are some items we are working on. I can't wait to get this stuff onto a table. Electrical components (orange structures) are perfect imo.

Cheers!
Last edit: 29 Jun 2017 22:22 by celticgriffon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Vlad

More
01 Jul 2017 20:38 #250752 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Shadow War: Armageddon
Been playing a little bit of SW and the new 40K recently.

Finally, I managed to beat an IG kill team using the wyches. It was an awesomely tense game. I lost my leader and another dudette in the first round, and was pretty pessimistic about my chances. But then managed to charge a bloodbride right in the middle of the IG squad. It was a slaughter-fest. The plasma dude got cut in half immediately, and half of the squad panicked and scattered. While she was engaged with another trooper, my opponent tried to get a clear shot but killed his comrade instead, and she continued rampaging, while the rest of my squad was taking care of the objectives. It was a fun game, and I was pretty happy about beating IG.

The new 40K is a blast. First of all, I have never played 40K before. Granted, I had a very good idea of the capabilities of my army (because I studied the stuff and also thanks to Battlescribe app, which currently is the best army builder), and was issuing orders, transporting troops and ordering deep strikes in no time. But it is also very simple, intuitive stuff. I find it easier than AoS for several reasons. First of all, I have a better grasp at what everyone can do and remembering that in the heat of the battle. Like my scions squad faced a dreadnaught at one point, and I am informed enough to make the decision to get the fuck out of its way, take a cover position and use my plasma and lascannon, as opposed to trying to shoot through with lasguns (it didn't work, by the way, but whatever). When facing most of the creatures in AoS, I need to take a look at the enemy scroll and probably at the scrolls of any supporting units (because they're likely to give some buffs I have no idea about), and even after that I'm kind of scratching my head. The same goes for weapons, artifacts special powers. I don't know, maybe it is because I'm more into sci-fi than fantasy, but I find 40K wargear easier to assimilate. Another good thing is that in the couple of games of 40K we had, there was tons lots of mobility. Since AoS is melee-focused, the units usually lock with each other until one of them is dead, and stay in the same position for most of the game. In the 40K there was a lot more maneuvering than in a typical AoS match. And, finally, there's a lot more flexibility in building your army, which gives it a more "personal" touch.

A good thing is that I also don't think that 40K will be firing AoS for me. I have at least one regular opponent who doesn't care at all for 40K, and there's also the Skirmish which doesn't really compete with 40K. But Shadow Wars is, unfortunately, in danger of becoming obsolete. There're two things at which SWA is superior to the new 40K: campaign and that you can play with fewer models. However, I still haven't managed to get a campaign going. And new 40K does not require that many models anyways... and if you're like me and just keep painting, you kind of want to put ALL your models on the battleground instead of being limited to the first 10 dudes. Anyways, I really hope GW releases a 2nd edition of SWA, adjusting it to the 8th ed. of 40K and offering more options for units. I guess it will be more like AoS Skirmish in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon

More
01 Jul 2017 20:56 #250754 by hotseatgames
Tonight is my first game of Shadow War against an actual opponent. I've had the game forever and have really just messed around assembling, painting, etc. I've also got a lot (but not all) of my Promethium Forge terrain in these shots.

The following user(s) said Thank You: celticgriffon, charlest, Hadik, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds