October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Do you have a favorite sub-genre of AmeriTrash?

More
31 Mar 2017 12:04 #245828 by Shellhead
In terms of setting and story, there are various sub-genres within AmeriTrash, including science-fiction, fantasy, horror, DOAM, sports, etc. Do you have a favorite sub-genre of AmeriTrash, and if so, why?

My favorite type of AmeriTrash is horror. AmeriTrash generally features direct conflict and an element of story-telling, and that matches well with horror, where conflict is lethal and the focus of the stories tends to be on personal level. Horror games often involve each player running a single unique character, and there is usually a chance of that character getting eliminated well before the end of the game. That makes the gameplay more tense and meaningful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2017 12:07 #245829 by SuperflyPete
If you're talking setting, Post-Apoc.

If you're talking theme, desperate struggle for survival, or war.

More
31 Mar 2017 12:24 #245831 by southernman
Looking at my collection and what I like playing (all of them) ... nope.

More
31 Mar 2017 12:33 #245835 by Michael Barnes
I actually REALLY like sports games.

I don't like sports.

More
31 Mar 2017 12:40 #245836 by Colorcrayons
Not sure if it counts, but I think most Franco-Trash is the pinnacle of awesomeness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
31 Mar 2017 12:47 #245837 by the_jake_1973
My games are pretty split amongst genres, If it takes place with a martial setting, I'm probably cool with playing it. TI3 is one notable exception.

More
31 Mar 2017 13:19 #245841 by hotseatgames
I'll go with DOAM.

More
31 Mar 2017 14:55 #245846 by Legomancer
Apparently I do, and it's called "No longer being talked about on F:AT". At some point my tastes (which I don't think have changed much) veered away from the "mainstream" here so that, while I don't give a shit about Feld and Rosenberg stuff, I'm not really involved in any discussions here either. My disinterest in GW and any other games involving plastic soldiers seeing if they hit other plastic soldiers leaves me a man without a country, at sea in a lonely ocean.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Cranberries

More
31 Mar 2017 15:15 #245847 by Shellhead

Legomancer wrote: Apparently I do, and it's called "No longer being talked about on F:AT". At some point my tastes (which I don't think have changed much) veered away from the "mainstream" here so that, while I don't give a shit about Feld and Rosenberg stuff, I'm not really involved in any discussions here either. My disinterest in GW and any other games involving plastic soldiers seeing if they hit other plastic soldiers leaves me a man without a country, at sea in a lonely ocean.

Though not as extreme as at TOS, there is a bias in favor of the New here at F:AT. GW has certainly released a lot of new material lately, so it's understandable that they are getting a lot of attention here, for now. I don't recognize the names Feld or Rosenberg offhand, so I must be ignoring the same discussions. Anyway, this too shall pass and hopefully we can get back to talking about GW9 or FFG/Asmodee soon enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, edulis

More
31 Mar 2017 16:14 - 31 Mar 2017 16:15 #245848 by RobertB
Feld = lots of frowning over your individual player mat.
Rosenberg - him maybe more so, but Bohnanza makes up for a lot of that.

(I kid because I love; I'll play Castles of Burgundy).
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 16:15 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
31 Mar 2017 16:29 - 31 Mar 2017 16:30 #245849 by OldHippy
When I was younger and didn't have kids it was most certainly DOAM's... the bigger and longer the better. I love building an empire and watching my troop numbers grow and managing the entire thing. Dex games too if they count... that could be everything from old classics like Carrom to newer ones like Flick 'em UP. That's probably still true but now with kids I still play the dex games but I'm leaning towards fast dice chuckers instead instead of long DOAM's. King of Tokyo, Dice Masters, Luchador, and things that mix those like Tumblin' Dice.

If it's setting I'm less sure. I don't know that I have a favorite setting. Generally speaking I like settings I haven't played before so I guess I want something novel, which should not preclude substance.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 16:30 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
31 Mar 2017 21:38 #245857 by Frohike
I'm often more interested in games by specific designers, namely Boelinger, Felli, and Hayden, whose designs span different aspects of Ameritrash. I can't think of a specific sub-genre that implicitly interests me as much as a designer's unpredictable, idiosyncratic interpretation of that genre.

More
01 Apr 2017 07:52 #245859 by san il defanso

Legomancer wrote: Apparently I do, and it's called "No longer being talked about on F:AT". At some point my tastes (which I don't think have changed much) veered away from the "mainstream" here so that, while I don't give a shit about Feld and Rosenberg stuff, I'm not really involved in any discussions here either. My disinterest in GW and any other games involving plastic soldiers seeing if they hit other plastic soldiers leaves me a man without a country, at sea in a lonely ocean.

I have a touch of GW fatigue myself. I have Space Hulk and Silver Tower, and that's good enough for me.

I don't know if it counts as a sub genre, but I have a weakness for chaotic designs. I also like games that are explicitly about risk. Gambling, push-your-luck, and heavy dice mechanics all fall into that. In that sense a lot of German games work well for me.

I like strong narrative too, though I tend to find it in memorable moments more than in explicit narrative. In other words someone getting their comeuppance in a session is about as memorable for me as some extended game with lots of characters.

I have determined that I don't actually love DoaM games much. There's Nexus Ops and Small World, and that's about it. Oh, and Dune and Clash of Cultures if there's time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
01 Apr 2017 09:22 #245860 by Colorcrayons

Shellhead wrote: Anyway, this too shall pass and hopefully we can get back to talking about GW9 or FFG/Asmodee soon enough.

Once FFG makes something relevant, besides suckling at the pig teat of Star Wars, they might be deserving of note.

I'm interested in GW for one thing, their board games. It's a weird anomaly from them. Like an abusive narcissistic spouse suddenly actually not being a piece of shit, the spectacle is worth it alone. GW get little if any discussion on ToS, because of history and eurocentricity, so it would seem natural that a forum dedicate to Ameritrash might put some spotlights on them to witness wether it's a new Renaissance for GW, or a false alarm.
So far only one of GWs new board games has grabbed me, but that's more than I could say of FFG since they released their last wiz-war expansion. But they have my attention for the short term. I go where the good games go. Brand loyalty has given me nothing but false hope and disappointment in this industry. FFG used to have it, and Asmodee used to have most of it (see Franco-trash comment above).

I hope the only reason we go back to talking about the latest FFG/GF9/Asmodee/Days of Wonder/etc. is because they make something that is decent again, and not because those names just happened to make something 'new".
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
01 Apr 2017 12:05 #245862 by SuperflyPete

Legomancer wrote: Apparently I do, and it's called "No longer being talked about on F:AT".

I'm growing quite weary of the "All-GW All The Time" stuff, but to be honest, I haven't seen much legit AT stuff out in a while (although I must admit not looking too hard). The last big release I was jazzed about was Star Wars Risk. I see some mentions of Rising Sun or other stuff, but it's just not that compelling.

At some point my tastes (which I don't think have changed much) veered away from the "mainstream" here <snip>

MAINSTREAM....HERE? I didn't think that was a legally allowable phrase.

I'd like to hear about what you're playing, and what your top 5 games are right now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds