October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Shadespire

More
13 Apr 2017 13:44 - 13 Apr 2017 13:49 #246486 by Colorcrayons
Shadespire was created by Colorcrayons
This is Games Workshop's attempt to break into the competitive miniature skirmish arena.

And because it's GW, this thread needs the following for those that need a safe place so you can show us on the dollie where GW touched you:

+++ TRIGGER WARNING! +++
:p
There has already been some discussion about it in various threads here, but if it becomes as big as it wants to be, it will need its own thread.

Gameplay was revealed at Adepticon, and showed the contents of the base game to contain Sigmarite Eternal Liberators and Khorne Bloodreavers. Three game matches are supposed to take 45 mins or less, so very fast resolution. It is a card and dice driven combat system with random objectives on a mutable hex grid board (get those heroescape tiles ready, guys! ). Apparently the card decks for each faction are customizable, so some strategy in deck building will be present prior to a game. Early remarks from those who played at Adepticon was positive.

GW has unveiled their first new faction for use in the game. Deathrattle Sepuchral Guard.

With this kind of a preview, it gives me hope that we will see at least a small amount of variety of factions at launch. Along with cautious optimism that they are designing all factions simultaneously. Such an idea is kinda huge, if true. It means less power creep and more balance (at least as balanced as anything can be considering the nature of asymmetric sides ) in the game so that it could be a seriously competitive game if one chose to take it to that degree.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2017 13:49 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2017 13:53 #246488 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Shadespire
If they joined the Warhammer IP with the Command and Colors system, my wallet would be empty.

This does look kinda cool and I am a GW sucker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Apr 2017 14:56 #246497 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Shadespire
Wait, I thought that's what this Shadow War Armageddon nonsense was supposed to be?

More
13 Apr 2017 15:19 #246499 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Shadespire

stormseeker75 wrote: Wait, I thought that's what this Shadow War Armageddon nonsense was supposed to be?

Nope, Shadow War: Armageddon is a full blown miniatures game. Measuring, terrain, everything.

More
13 Apr 2017 17:53 #246510 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Shadespire
GWscape.

This I could get into.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
13 Apr 2017 18:10 #246511 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Shadespire
Yeah, this game looks awesome. The new Death stuff (!!!) is the first new skeletons GW has done in like 15 years or something and they look bad ass.

It is definitely more of an X-Wing or Heroscape class miniatures game- but it is not prepainted.

Warhammer plus C&C is what FFG should have done with Battlelore instead of blowing it on Terrinoth or Game of Thrones. Both licenses were in house, WTF was the problem? Probably GW is at fault there because at the time it would have demolished WHFB but still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
13 Apr 2017 18:36 #246512 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadespire
The bar for me, on this kind of game (not counting Heroscape, of course), is Dungeon Command. So far, this doesn't look better than Dungeon Command. Although it does have dice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
13 Apr 2017 22:35 #246529 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Shadespire
I think those new skeletons look great.

More
14 Apr 2017 08:58 - 14 Apr 2017 09:00 #246543 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Shadespire

Colorcrayons wrote: This is Games Workshop's attempt to break into the competitive miniature skirmish arena.

And because it's GW, this thread needs the following for those that need a safe place so you can show us on the dollie where GW touched you:

+++ TRIGGER WARNING! +++

I appreciate this courteous use of trigger warnings.

However, I'm not the one with the dollies.

Last edit: 14 Apr 2017 09:00 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, birdman37

More
14 Apr 2017 09:28 #246547 by the_jake_1973
Replied by the_jake_1973 on topic Shadespire
Now all I'm thinking about is how to adapt WHFB to a C&C configuration. I should actually be working.

More
14 Apr 2017 10:34 #246555 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Shadespire
Okay, this I can definitely be down with. I don't want a traditional miniatures game. I want hexes or squares. This is ideal for me.

More
14 Apr 2017 15:10 #246577 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Shadespire

hotseatgames wrote: The bar for me, on this kind of game (not counting Heroscape, of course), is Dungeon Command. So far, this doesn't look better than Dungeon Command. Although it does have dice.

But..but... Hex spaces !!1!11!!eleventyone

Man, I really wish dungeon command went somewhere. Yet another half assed product. By that, I mean the support for the product and how it was marketed.

I have no idea how good shadespire is. I've watched a bunch of videos on it, but it doesn't quite hit me as the product that GW is hoping to achieve. The people that played it give it glowing reviews. But, they also didn't do any deck building, which will likely be the thing that makes or breaks it on the quality of the design.

It's kind of just a big bit of marketing crap by GW right now. "Look at the potential this game could have. It's gonna be big!"
Usually when such statements of grandeur are made, it really isn't grand. :/

I want this to be a bad ass game, but then again, I was just as hyped for dungeon command too...

More
18 Apr 2017 09:55 #246714 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Shadespire
With this and FFG's Runwars Miniatures game, the two former lovers are going straight at each other's jugular.

No secret I'm in GW's bed, but trying to be objective I think Shadespire is going to end up being a more successful branch into a serial purchasing board game than Runewars will as a minis wargame.

Gamers seem to love being strung along on micro purchases. That market of people looking to get on treadmills seems to be larger than gamers looking to get into a big minis wargame. The camps are a little different. Minis gamers tend to only have a few main lines they can support. Board gamers, on the other hand, seem to be up for every and any thing. GW is tapping a larger vein with Shadwspire than FFG is with Runewars.

Now, I know these are two different types of games, so a little apples and oranges, but their success and strategy can be discussed because they are two giants looking to get into new markets.

All this said, I don't think this game is for me. I already have BB and DB for competitive hex/square based minis gaming. The only chance it had was if my son wanted in (loves stormcast) and he said he'd prefer to play AoS proper. We may look for that female fig as a single though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
18 Apr 2017 12:58 #246721 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Shadespire
Oh, one other bit on these two...

I read that FFG included the Runewars base game as part of the Adepticon swag bag for the attendees that bought them. That's an expensive piece of swag...

It would be interesting to know how effective that strategy was. Will gamers decide to go in a little deeper already owning the base set, or does its inclusion as a 'free' gimme potentially lessen its value in some folk's eyes?

I understand AoS was all over Adepticon, so again, I'm curious if these free Runewars sets made an impact.

More
18 Apr 2017 15:24 #246724 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Shadespire
My guess is that move got a lot more people to pay attention to Runewars. You know who else gives the first one free? Drug dealers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds